“Perfect Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Eldredge House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Eldredge House
Ranked #29 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Moo913
“Perfect Vacation”
Reviewed July 26, 2009

First of all, you will never meet a more gracious host than Todd, the innkeeper at the Eldredge House. Not only does he make himself always available for advice or help around town, he anticipates your needs and goes above and beyond expectation. The house itself was beautiful, clean, and well kept. There is always cold water in the fridge, snacks (DELICIOUS little chocolates), and even wine glasses for use in your room. A nice touch is that beach tags, beach towels, and beach chairs are included, and Todd even let us use them on the day we were checking out. We stayed in the Captain's Room, which was very spacious and relaxing. The private bathroom was great and we found the mattress very comfortable. All of the linens were delightfully fresh. We really could not have hoped for a better stay and we will definitely be back. HIGHLY recommended for romantic getaways with someone special.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York, NY
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Eldredge House for the first time recently. From the moment we arrived, Todd, the proprietor, was extremely gracious and helpful. He quickly gave us the best directions, the good places to eat and the things we might want to check out during our stay. If we needed anything, he was always available via his cell phone.

The Eldredge House is less than a mile from the center of town and less than a mile from the beach, which means a car is nice to have, but not necessary. There is street parking, which is free, but you can also park directly behind the house, which we did, for free. Within a short walk (less than five minutes) of the house are both a CVS and a 7-11, so if you forget anything, help is nearby. It’s not a typical bed and breakfast in that breakfast is not served at the house. Rather, Todd gives you vouchers (one per guest, per day) for breakfast at one of several (it’s four or five, total) area restaurants. We went to George’s both days and had no trouble using the vouchers, which covered nearly our entire meal each time.

There is a mini-fridge at the house for guests where bottled water is kept. We stayed in the Thomas room, which is great for a couple. A ceiling fan and a window AC are present and there’s cable on a small TV if you'd like. The house is nicely kept and is a great place to stay for a weekend. Todd welcomed us from the start, was always available and had a great, casual approach that made us feel at home. There was another couple staying there and told us it was their fourth time at the Eldredge House and they loved staying there. I wholeheartedly recommend that you stay at The Eldredge House the next time you’re considering Cape May. You won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
delaware valley
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Where to start?! Rooms like an embrace from the past (tons of touchable antiques!) with the perks of the present. Innkeeper of the first degree -- charming, funny, warm, brilliant, a wealth of tips and info. Complete privacy (innkeeper lives in separate section). Breakfast vouchers that let you choose when & where you eat -- yay, variety is the spice of life! Gardens, front and back, that satisfy all the senses. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Bedminster, NJ
Reviewed November 25, 2008

I can't think of a better place to stay in Cape May, regardless of the time of year! The Eldredge House is cozy, quaint, beautifully-decorated, impeccably-clean, far enough away from the center of town to be quiet and relaxing at night, but close enough to be within walking distance (5-10 minutes) of everything worth seeing, from the beach, to the Washington Mall, to the Farmer's Market in the summer. My first experience at this wonderful bed & breakfast (in August 2008) made a lasting impression, and now, whenever I get the inkling to take a trip to Cape May - whether it's for a weekend or a full week - The Eldredge House will always be my first pick for a "home away from home."

• Liked — The cleanliness, coziness, and convenience.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
New York City
Reviewed September 11, 2008

Great!
It was my second trip to Cape May. Both times I stayed in Eldredge House. When I called for reservation first time I did not know much about this place. The owner appeared to be very nice and accommodative. When I arrived he offered to pick me up from Transportation Center. I found the house very clean and cozy. I really liked the fact that it was the oldest operating B&B in historic Cape May. It is located only several blocks from the ocean and close to the center of Cape May yet far enough to keep the traffic low. As a resident of a NYC I valued it a lot. It made my stay even more relaxing.
Both times I stayed in sunny and comfortable Thomas room. What I liked most however was authentic hospitality of the owner. You really fell that you are welcome in Eldredge House. When I visited Cape May for the first time in July, I was calling the owner constantly and he always had time to answer my questions . Todd is very professional, and has a lot of useful tips for his gests. Thanks to him I could see huge part of the neighborhood, because he offered me lift to more distant places. I am looking forward to visit Cape May again and stay in Eldredge House.

• Liked — relaxing atmosphere, hospitality
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Nyack, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed at the Eldredge House for a week in August and absolutely loved it. It was a pleasure to return each day and evening. There is a very warm, cozy, nicely decorated living room area with snacks and bottles of water you can help yourself to at any time (and we did). We enjoyed spending time there with some wine before dinner. The gardens on the property are also very pretty. Todd, the innkeeper, was around when you needed him but not when you didn't which was perfect for us....it made us feel like we were guests in someone's home with plenty of privacy. Todd is extremely helpful and quick to recommend restaurants and things to do. The house is quick bike ride to the beach and you could walk as well (maybe about a 10-15 minute walk). You can also walk to several restaurants, a great cheese shop, etc. right in West Cape May or take a bike ride/longer walk into Cape May where more restaurants are located. We really enjoyed the location in West Cape May which was a little bit removed from where most of the restaurants and stores are located. We look forward to a return stay in the off season when the town is quieter.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Queens, New York
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Beautiful, quaint, house, decorated in country style with colorful and abundant blooms to contemplate seated quietly while you await your roomate. You can hardly tell the house is centuries old, except if you are over 6 foot tall, since the ceilings are a bit low.

Todd is like a gentle cousin anxious to please. Pay attention to his recommendations for places to hang out and/or eat.

• Stayed August 2008