“Hidden Treasure”
Review of The Eldredge House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Eldredge House
Ranked #29 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Kennett Square, PA
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed April 27, 2008

My wife and I made a last minute decision to come to Cape May for just one night and found most hotels and bed and breakfasts didn't offer just one night--even in off season---then we found a website for The Eldredge House and saw that they offered one night stays--all year round!! We contacted Todd, the innkeeper just two days before and he couldn't have been more helpful....we were able to stay in the "Thomas Eldredge" room for the one night we wanted. The House is just a short drive or walk from the main area of stores and attractions--Washington Street Mall, etc....yet is in a wonderfully quiet residential area.
We found the hotel to be very clean and room to be so cozy. The bed was especially comfy--and the extra pillows were a big plus!
Also, Todd couldn't have been more gracious in telling us all that was going on in the cape that weekend, and had wonderful restaurant recommendations---my wife and I HIGHLY suggest anyone visiting Cape May to try Backstreet Cafe--wonderful little place owned by a husband and wife team who made us a wonderful breakfast Saturday morning---(the hotel price includes breakfast vouchers to three different places nearby).....
if you are in the area, their Bananas Foster French toast is absolutely to die for!!
Just wanted to say thanks Todd for a wonderful stay and we really hope to come stay with you again over the summer!

• Liked — We liked everything!
  • Disliked — Parking on the street will probably be very hard during the summer season
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
new jersey
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I loved staying at the Eldredge House. It was my first time here, but definitely won't be my last. It's such a charming old colonial house. Very cozy, quiet, and clean, which is very important to me. I stayed one night just before Christmas and the whole house was decorated for the holidays. It's not a large house but the living room has a lovely wood burning fireplace. I stayed in the Mary Eldredge room. It was a lovely room with a very authentic colonial atmosphere . The bed was extremely comfy with lots of fluffy pillows. Innkeeper Todd was a delight to talk to. He is very helpful and concerned that you have a great stay. Unlike all the other B&B's I've stayed at this one does not prepare you breakfast, but instead gives you a coupon for use at 2 restaurants so you can choose the time you eat and the entree as well which was nice. It's not quite as close to the historic district and beach as other places, but is still within walking distance. Plus parking is not an issue here. I had such a lovely time here and would highly recommend it to anyone. Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — cozy, clean rooms, ghost activity
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Todd the owner was extremely helpful and inviting. We were able to check in early and check out late. Wonderful recommendations and an exquisitely charming room.

Stayed January 2008
Cape May, NJ
Reviewed December 31, 2007

This was a rare experience for us. We loved the owner, Todd, who was laidback and helpful with everything we needed. The house is so unusual, with an intimate charm and authenticity. It was also nice to be able to come to the beach and then have a quiet getaway from the crowds. Oh, we also loved the fact that we could eat breakfast on our own schedule....something not offered at many b&b's across the country.

We would recommend this for anyone who enjoys the b&b experience.

Stayed October 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 31, 2006

The Eldredge House is not a beach-front property, but that's part of what makes it so nice to stay there. The historical house is wonderfully kept and beautifully furnished, and the gardens and private parking make it even better. It was so nice to return from a busy day of birding, swimming, and shopping to a nice, quiet retreat away from the usual touristy hustle and bustle. Innkeeper Todd is friendly and helpful and knows Cape May well. He makes you feel right at home from the start. Eldredge's location is central enough to make it convenient to shopping, restaurants, and the great birding locations, yet so much more relaxing than staying in a hotel on the beach. Todd told us the best beach to go to, which was just a few minutes down the road. I have stayed at the Eldredge twice already, and plan on doing so again this summer and fall. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 11, 2006

I booked a room at the Eldredge House (kind of last minute), for a "Girl's Weekend". My best friend was travelling across the country to visit me and I wanted to do something fun and special. When we first arrived, I wondered what I'd gotten ourselves into- I felt like I was approaching George Washington's door. "His teeth must be in there somewhere", I thought. The Eldredge House is a quaint, very old bed and breakfast- it is the oldest in Cape May. The floors creak in all the right places and the atmosphere is calming. But the best part of the Eldredge House is its host, Todd. Todd made sure that we knew where to bike,which beaches to frequent and most importantly, where and when to eat. He enthusiastically made reservations for us in the most phenomenal restaurants (places we would've never found ourselves). Todd made sure that we drank plenty of water and kept our room cool, despite the heavy Indian Summer heat. The weekend was perfect and I look forward to visiting the Eldredge House again soon!