“Home away from home!!”
Review of The Stockton Inns

The Stockton Inns
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My best friend and I have been staying at the Stockton Inns for at least 8 years. Naturally over time we have gotten to know the staff. They are terrific. We have stayed on all floors. We prefer the 3rd floor (closest to the ocean). Our room is always immaculate. There is a flat screen tv, fridge, wifi, coffee maker kitchenette (in room 215). I love room 215 because I can walk out of my door and onto a beach chair. Many times I will sun myself on the 3rd floor deck to avoid the noise or kid play at the pool. It's heaven. I should also mention, the pool is spotless as well. If you stay there for 24 hours, you will notice there is "round the clock" staff maintaining the properties at all times. It's mainly the owner that is always working. (cleaning the pool, washing the driveway, emptying ash trays, cleaning rooms.....) you name it, someone is doing it. There are rules and it's impressive that they are actually enforced. (Not that there is a need, but you can tell it's just "nice".

Even when we don't stay on the 3rd floor, we take our morning coffee up to the 3rd floor and sit on the balcony. It is the best view in Cape May. I have found the other people on vacation that happen to stay at the Stockton are friendly and respectful. I know for a fact this is not the case at other places in Cape May. The location is great. We can be at the square or mall or beach in 5 minutes. Everything is just so beautiful so the walk is most enjoyable. There is also a Wawa in 5 minutes drive time. (Great for last minute items).

Most importantly, the woman who runs the front dest....Patty. She is wonderful. I am always excited to see her (I mean, she's a sight for sore eyes after the 2 hour drive and she's about to hand me keys to my holiday!!!) She has always been super helpful with reccomending local food and entertainment. One time I lost a very special ring. I was on the AC expressway in a total panic. I called Patty. She put me on hold and when she got back on the phone....she had the maid check my room and had it safely in her hands!!! I don't think you find trust like this just anywhere. Aside from that, she has always been so helpful working with our dates and getting us our favorite room!!

Cape May is beautiful, clean, classy and charming. There are other wonderful places to stay in Cape May......I'm sure.......but I'll never be able to review them....because I'll never cheat on the Stockton;)

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor are closer to the balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had last minute reservations and not a lot to choose from since we wanted to stay across
from the beach. Stayed on the hotel side and although I had reservations about it (normaly stay in slightly better hotels), it was a fair price for what it is ,clean and comfortable you can't beat the location and from the man cleaning the pool to the front desk everyone was helpful and accomodating, just what one would expect and not always receives.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I just returned from my first visit to Cape May, and I thoroughly enjoyed my recent stay at the Manor. The room was very clean and confortable, and the staff was very courteous and very knowledgeable about local events and places to sight see. One of my best hotel experiences in a very long time. I highly reccomend staying at this hotel if you're in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stockton Inn is a great place to stay. We go every year for the Octoberfest. Great porch to have a few cocktails, watch the dolphins in the water or just read a book. The owner is strict on what is allowed and not allowed which makes it a quality place to stay at.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elainepapp
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the manor, the big old 3 story house next to the hotel. It was just what I wanted. Old fashioned but totally met our needs. I opted for a smaller, less pricey room with a spectacular view and got just that. My husband called it "the closet" but we don't need a room for much more than sleeping, changing and showering. The weather was spectacular so we were on the go. The room was clean, the bathroom had ample room and great water pressure, important with my long hair. The closet was big enough, we had a small sitting area and a refrigerator. The window looked right out to the beach and ocean. We were on the second floor and FYI, no elevator, but not many steps. Not a problem at all. Outside our room was a nice sitting area that I enjoyed during the stay to read and people watch and we were treated to a beach wedding right in front of us. I would stay there again in a minute. The Manor is very close to everything too, walking distance to bars, restaurants, breakfast, lunch and next to a mini golf. Great place!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Slam2u2
Reviewed September 5, 2012

However, if you care about a musty room..then you probably would look elsewhere. We did have the "air machine" for a few hours and it did help, however, that rug needs to be replaced. Since I am allergic to mold I am now on an antibiotic.
As for the sundeck being right off our room, I would never ever do that again Maybe you even pay extra for that piece of real estate, but everyone and their brother and kids try to congregate right outside your room. You could never open a window or the drapes..people were waving to us thru the window..
I think they need to reconfigure the amount of chaise lounges located around the pool..I think 8 and maybe 15 reg chairs along the railing..4-5 more on your very own sundeck with another table and assorted others chairs and side tables on the open deck. Considering you are trying to accommodate the pool for the motel and the inn..
We were very disappointed in our room and would not return ever. We have stayed in just about every place on Beach Ave and I have to admit this falls short of anything we expected. Location in this case is not everything if you don't mind everyone congregating outside your window. It's a great location for everything else.
Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Noreen C
Brian G, General Manager at The Stockton Inns, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Your thoughts are very important to us. I am sorry to hear you were unhappy during your stay at The Stockton Inns. Our focus is to provide our guests the most clean, safe and comfortable accommodations in a friendly atmosphere on the Cape May beachfront. After reading your review, I personally inspected your room and found no evidence on musty smell in the furnishings or carpet. Since your room had just recently been refurnished with all new furniture, bedding and carpet, your determination was puzzling. As a precaution, the air conditioning unit was replaced with a new unit and the old unit has been sent to maintenance for disassembly and cleaning. Polling of subsequent guests has been positive with no mention of the odors you described. I’m sorry you were also displeased with the location of your room. Our sundeck deluxe efficiencies are our most requested room, specifically for the convenient access to this common area. Had you mentioned you were uncomfortable with the location, we would have been more than happy to move you to another room. At that time we had accommodations available in the Stockton Manor, where there are center halls entrances and the only thing you would see outside your window is the ocean. Again, I am sorry we did not meet you expectations.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel was awesome. Very old fashioned in decor but had up to date ammenities. The staff was wonderful and so where most of the guests that we mingled with. It has a huge wrap-around porch with old fashioned rocking chairs and you can just sit and watch the beach or entertain yourself by watching the golfers on the miniature golf course on site. Would definetely go back again.

Room Tip: I think any room in the Manor house would be and excellent choice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple