“Great place, great value!”
Review of Beach Shack

Beach Shack
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Great place, great value!”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My friend and I enjoyed our stay here. Rooms were clean & were walking distance from the beach and shops. They have beach service so no need to bring beach chairs, towels or umbrella. Just show your room key & they set it all up for you. Beach side service from Rusty Nail is awesome. Location and view from room was good. There was a blow dryer, microwave, fridge, cups and glasses so I could have my tea in the morning. They cleaned very promptly. The bathroom was functional not really modern and it smelled funky but that was a minor thing.
I'm glad I called earlier in the day to confirm our really late arrival. Otherwise I wouldn't have known to go to Congress Hall to pick up our room key. There is no phone in the room so have their # handy. I had to call from my cell to get the TV reception fixed. It took a day but it was done.
Also, a lot of restaurants and shops don't take credit cards so have cash handy. We were surprised by that.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank ktatravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
new jersey
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I have stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels as well as simple huts on the beach all over the world. We thought the beach shack was just great. We got a great deal and booked one of the largest rooms. My girlfirend, myself and our 3 little kids (ages 12m, 2 and 5) sayed together for the weekend. We had a great time. Since we did not have our husbands with us having chair, umbrella and towell service was great (no lugging everything to the beach). We had lunch on the beach everyday, and the kids meals come complete with a chocolate chip cookie all served on a frisbee. Pool also good having a small part of it blocked off for the little ones (plus they had bar service there which was fabulous). In the evening they have the rusty nail which is really an open air restaurant/ bar with a hug sand area. In the middle of the sand was a large fire pit. Each evening a man was out signing with his guitar and people would gather, chat, bes ocial while the kids would be playing in the sand) very laid back and casual. Very nice, flip flops were about as dressy as we got the whole weekend. I have stayed at Congress Hall as well which is also fab, this just has a totally different, but still great vibe. It is not lux and certainly has a few quirks, like no phone, but who doesn't have a cell phone now adays??? Go, bring your kids and enjoy.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank christyw24
e. brunswick, NJ
Reviewed June 4, 2010

pros...beachfront location is awesome, having a pool right outside your door with waitress service is terrific- they even offer service on the beach which we didn't use, but nice to know. all staff seems busy working at all times, and are friendly too. the place is clean and well run. having the Rusty Nail as part of the property is a bonus, at the end of the day you can stroll 50 feet to have a cocktail- although there was no "happy hour". the Rusty Nail is a great place to hang out and talk, at night they light up the fire pit, and people gather around to relax and socialize. The food at the Rusty Nail can be delivered as part of room service too. Their beer is the coldest around, and the food is very good. We ate mussels and clams in the bucket, and they were good, but a bit pricey. The "nail" dinner was $40, and had lobster, clams, mussels, crab legs, shrimp, fish of the day, french fries, corn on the cob which is a definite to share for two, The chili was excellent.

Cons- the rooms are on the small side, although for two people it's comfortable. We didn't know there was no phone in the rooms to call ANYONE with questions or needs, so you need to know if you need more towels, or toilet paper or anything before everyone goes home for the day. The office closes as well. I'm sure you could call up to Congress Hall and get some assistance, but again, NO PHONE...which can also be a good thing!!!
The air conditioning was a wall unit at the back of the room that didn't quite cool the front, so if you're sharing the room, the people on the pull out may be warm- especially if you close the bi-fold doors separating the two spaces. There are not TV's in the bedrooms, just the living room. The bathroom was small, and the tub didn't drain well. Our room was cleaned promptly the first day, and not until after 3 on the second day and didn't leave us any toilet tissue, so we had none, and hunted down another employee to get one.There were plenty of empty rooms, so not sure why that happened.

The people we met at the pool told us they drove up for the day, and got the room for $90, not the 300 that is posted, so obviously if it's slow, there is room for negotiations.

All in all, it's a great location, friendly people and great atmosphere. If you are looking for luxury, then this isn't the hotel for you. I will tell you that the bartenders at the Rusty Nail are terriffic!!! They alone made us want to go back again and again. Rick, Jim and Mike are very friendly and are a great asset to the Rusty Nail.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
North Arlington, New Jersey
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Not the best hotel for the expensive price.
Room was clean but average sized.
TV did not work when we wanted to relax after a day at the beach.
Coffee in room was awful; expired creamer.

Can get a lot better value at a smiliar price

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

DE
Reviewed September 20, 2009

My husband and I visited Cape May for the first time and loved the Beach Shack. We really enjoyed the Rusty Nail and thought it was one of the best spots in Cape May to grab a drink (although, as stated in other reviews, the food wasn't great). Sitting around the firepit with your feet in the sand, listening to live music and chatting with the other patrons...it doesn't get much better than that! There was a wide array of people there-kids running around, couples, and some folks even brought their dogs. A very laid-back, friendly vibe.
Nothing stood out about the rooms-fairly standard. We loved the view of the beach from the window. If you're looking for a fun place to stay right on the beach and don't care about frills (although a phone in the room seems pretty standard) this is the place for you.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank terrapinstation
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Was calling to book another of the managed properties and they referred me to the Beach Shack because it was pay for 2 get 1 night free. So for 3nights/4 days I was getting a deal. Did research and learned the hotel was indeed recently (within the year) renovated - how bad could it be?

It's certainly in a great location. The Rusty Nail is directly across the walkway and has indoor but open window seating (reminded me of "Cheeseburger in Paradise"), some shuffleboard for kids, lots of seats and nightly entertainment (we didn't eat there).

What i liked about the hotel - linens were new and comfy. The room was nice but nothing lux here. It's really a sandal and short's type of joint. We had an efficiency and it was really the same room as the double but with a sink, mini micro and mini fridge. Barely enough room for a family of 5 (and 3 of them were little kids)... so really not an efficiency The pull out couch was great. The room was clean enough but the AC was in the adult bed part of the room and it was blasting the whole time we were there so we could cool off the living room area.

Pro's - beach service with the umbrella's and chairs and towels; new linens, recently painted, nice outdoor layout. Cleaning and Office staff attentive.

Con's - pool was utterly filthy. I think on the 4th day i finally saw someone cleaning it out and the filter was on. I realize that people go from the beach to the pool but it was so cloudy and my bathing suit smelled after i was in it - yuck. The cleaning staff is aplenty but they are very SLOW. Only 1 TV in the efficiency - where the couch was. Only 1 AC.

Would i go back - probably not. Only because we usually stay in more lux accommodations. If I went back, i'd stay at one of the Condo's or the luxury hotel. Not a snob but i want equal or better when i'm on vacation not a step or two down. For the money - with kids - and just hanging out on the beach ... you're gonna be fine.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank LoriBofSINY
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Pros:
Beach service included: lounge chairs, umbrellas and towels - love that!
Linens and towels in room were great
Rusty Nail - very convenient
Wireless Internet (however spotty at best in my room - great outside)
TV and channel selection
Staff was very pleasant

Cons:
Rooms upgraded too a point, but still need a lot of work - like the bathroom
Rusty nail had decent bar type food - D+ on service (friendly but SLOW and forgetful)
No phone in room - not an issue but my cell had no bars in room

Overview: It is good for what is it. If you are looking for a luxury experience, look elsewhere. If I were to do it again, I would get the larger room, the basic room is very small. We possibly got the worst room location of all, last one on the ground floor next to Rusty Nail - very noisy. I took a family vote and we all said that we would return. I personally liked the Sandpiper better, but it does not have the convenience of the Rusty nail and is more expensive. I think with a few tweaks, the Beach Shack could be a much better experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank jbg123