“I took a chance, and I was a bit.... disappointed but only a little.”
Review of Beach Shack

Beach Shack
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Staten Island, NY
“I took a chance, and I was a bit.... disappointed but only a little.”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Was calling to book another of the managed properties and they referred me to the Beach Shack because it was pay for 2 get 1 night free. So for 3nights/4 days I was getting a deal. Did research and learned the hotel was indeed recently (within the year) renovated - how bad could it be?

It's certainly in a great location. The Rusty Nail is directly across the walkway and has indoor but open window seating (reminded me of "Cheeseburger in Paradise"), some shuffleboard for kids, lots of seats and nightly entertainment (we didn't eat there).

What i liked about the hotel - linens were new and comfy. The room was nice but nothing lux here. It's really a sandal and short's type of joint. We had an efficiency and it was really the same room as the double but with a sink, mini micro and mini fridge. Barely enough room for a family of 5 (and 3 of them were little kids)... so really not an efficiency The pull out couch was great. The room was clean enough but the AC was in the adult bed part of the room and it was blasting the whole time we were there so we could cool off the living room area.

Pro's - beach service with the umbrella's and chairs and towels; new linens, recently painted, nice outdoor layout. Cleaning and Office staff attentive.

Con's - pool was utterly filthy. I think on the 4th day i finally saw someone cleaning it out and the filter was on. I realize that people go from the beach to the pool but it was so cloudy and my bathing suit smelled after i was in it - yuck. The cleaning staff is aplenty but they are very SLOW. Only 1 TV in the efficiency - where the couch was. Only 1 AC.

Would i go back - probably not. Only because we usually stay in more lux accommodations. If I went back, i'd stay at one of the Condo's or the luxury hotel. Not a snob but i want equal or better when i'm on vacation not a step or two down. For the money - with kids - and just hanging out on the beach ... you're gonna be fine.

2 Thank LoriBofSINY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Pros:
Beach service included: lounge chairs, umbrellas and towels - love that!
Linens and towels in room were great
Rusty Nail - very convenient
Wireless Internet (however spotty at best in my room - great outside)
TV and channel selection
Staff was very pleasant

Cons:
Rooms upgraded too a point, but still need a lot of work - like the bathroom
Rusty nail had decent bar type food - D+ on service (friendly but SLOW and forgetful)
No phone in room - not an issue but my cell had no bars in room

Overview: It is good for what is it. If you are looking for a luxury experience, look elsewhere. If I were to do it again, I would get the larger room, the basic room is very small. We possibly got the worst room location of all, last one on the ground floor next to Rusty Nail - very noisy. I took a family vote and we all said that we would return. I personally liked the Sandpiper better, but it does not have the convenience of the Rusty nail and is more expensive. I think with a few tweaks, the Beach Shack could be a much better experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank jbg123
Bergen County, NJ
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed from 8/16-8/19. Hotel was obviously rushed to be redone for summer. Rooms had new carpeting, new tv's, new sofas. Bathroom were original with new sinks only (original wood laminate countertops) and new toilet. Original tub was in place, tiles were sprayed white, bathroom hardware was new. Original laminate furniture were in the rooms and smelled like mildew when you opened the drawers. Wall air conditioner was in back bedroom only, so if anyone was going to sleep on the couch, out of luck with being cool. Would not have paid the original full price for these rooms, only somewhat happy with the special of buy 2 nights, get one free. Definitely not worth the $309 plus per night. Efficiency area was ok, very small microwave, sink and half size fridge. Not nearly as nice as Congress Hall or Sandpiper, but that is what you get for your money! Good location, right on Beach Ave, beach service is nice and pool was good.
Drinks at Rusty Nail are good, food is terrible. Atmosphere is good, live music every night, very family friendly.

3 Thank laurafit
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Just an FYI, I was told when I booked this hotel through Congress Hall that they had just opened a brand new hotel. I thorougly questioned the reservationist because their website barely had any photos. I was told that the old hotel was torn down and a new hotel was built. This was not true, the rooms were refurbished. They were very nice, beautiful linens and comfy beds. However, the bathroom was old, only the tiles were redone. The bathtub was stained and the countertops were dated as was the furniture (nothing like the wicker furniture in their photos). Other than that it was a great place to stay and a great value. The kids had a blast in the sand area between our room and the Rusty Nail. We would definately come back. One last thing, I didn't find the pool clean enough. Lots of sand, even at 8 a.m., do they clean it??

2 Thank QueenBeeSI
Verona, NJ USA
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My family and I frequent Congress Hall, The Sand Piper and The Star, all of the same ownership. When we heard of their purchase of the Coachman and Rusty Nail we knew it would be consistent with the fine quality we have seen in the past. We stayed for 5 nights in July and had a great time. All the rooms have been remodeled and worked very well for my wife, myself and three kids. The Rusty Nail has been remodeled as well with a great atmosphere inside and outside. There is an outside bar and sand area that works very well and at 9:30 pm the staff moves people inside in order to keep the hotel area quiet (They do a great job with this). The house keeping staff works very hard and always had the room finished by mid day. It is a relaxed beach feeling, great to kick back and let the kids and big kids do as the please. The hotel is across from the beach and with the towel, chair and umbrella service FREE, makes life great here. As for the fire the last review had, it was in the laundry area not in the hotel as we witnessed our second night. The staff put all back in working order quickly the next day and all was fine. We have been visiting Cape May for 20 years and any fire or smoke issue is always 5 alarms due to its history. Give this place a try and ask for the family efficiency, it has two queen beds and a pull out sofa, great for 5 or 6 people, meals are great prices are low and with everyone on a budget this helps. We will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank MCIFARETTO
pa
Reviewed August 4, 2009

My hunsband,myself, and our 6 yrs old grandson stayed there july 23-july 26 2009, on July 23 we had a first floor room and around 1 am there was a loud pounding on our door alerting us to leave there was a fire in the building. we all got out safely due to the staff quick action. the staff provided us with bottles of water, coffee, tea and cereal for the kids. the rusty nail staff allowed us to use their resaturant until we could return to our room. we had the choice of staying or relocating to another hotel. . we decided to stay and were relocated to another first floor room for the rest of our stay. and they did deduct that night off our bill. the staff was great. they have lounge chairs with fluffy towels on the beach for our use. the pool was clean and had lounge chairs around it. the food at the rusty nail was very good and a casual relaxed atmosphere. we would definately stay there agan.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank defran
Northern VA
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Typical beach front motel--The good: beautiful view, pool staff ran to provide towels and umbrellas, they provide free chairs, umbrellas, and towels at the beach also, the room linens are new/new mattress.
The bad: I think during the renovation they forgot the bathrooms. Our shower was scalding and the knob fell off. We did complain and received a small room credit, which I thought was fair. The renovation is not quite complete, so you do see construction workers zip in and out.
The pool: Great for kids--lots of kids---, but for those without kids wanting to relax, probably not going to happen.
Overall--the view was worth it!