“Nice place.”
Review of Beach Shack

Beach Shack
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Needed a place to stay at the last minute. They were very accommodating. Arrived very late but someone was at the desk and were very friendly. Room was adequate for one night stay. Room air conditioner did not cool the room very well but was still comfortable sleeping. Not much space to move around the room.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Samuel O
There are newer reviews for Beach Shack

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Recently stayed at the Beach Shack and overall was very good. The location is perfect, the room was very clean. The front desk staff at check in was very attentive. Improvements that are needed: no telephone in the room and cell service is basically non-existent. There were also no clocks in the suite. Wi-fi was not working at the hotel but we were given an alternative. The Rusty Nail has entertainment, which draws a large crowd, and the hotel guests can get shut out. There is also a fire pit, however, when the music stops so does the fire and that could stay lit for the hotel guests. We only ate one meal at the Rusty Nail and it was not very good and the service was awful!
I would stay again at the Beach Shack. I love Cape May.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DAEHC
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We booked this place through travelzoo in January for a very good price. The room was great microwave, fridge, sinks and 2 TVs. Older bathroom but adequate. The outside facilities are in very good shape, the location is beyond good, it is great! The pool is nice, clean and well attended. They provide beach service with chairs, umbrellas, and towels which is great since the beach is mere steps away. The staff was helpful, courteous and approachable. I had a nice visit and would go back.

With that said, the rooms do have some issues.
1) No alarm clock, in fact no clock at all. I know, everyone has a phone and can use that. That brings me to ...
2) No telephone in the room.... what makes it bad is that there is spotty cellular service at best. Cape May is very strict with cell towers, hence you get lousy cell service there. Our phones were constantly searching for a signal so we just turned them off until we needed them. The Wifi was also questionable. One guy next to me could not get it to work at all.
With that said, the restaurant is terrible!
3) The Rusty nail breakfast... just skip it. The so-called staff were inattentive, rude and the food was terrible. I had to seek out the waitress for my check after sitting there for 10 minutes. She then presented me with my change with no bill smaller than a 10 even after I gave it back to her and asked for change. Now I am not a cheap tipper by any means, but when you do not bring the adequate change to leave even a 20% tip, you are getting what you deserve, 5-10%.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor for an ocean view. -- No Elevator though : (
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at The Beach Shack and will not be our last. This isn't a fancy place. The entire property has a retro theme without being campy or over the top. It is super clean, with large rooms, and great service. You get beach chairs towels and umbrellas, they even set them up for you. There is a nice pool area. And my favorite is the large fire pit area and live music. The restaurant/bar area has great food and an awesome laid back vibe. There is plenty of seating inside and out. A good place to go with kids as well.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed here about 3 years ago and then again Memorial Day weekend. Great location, rooms are nice, but starting to show a little wear.
The Rusty Nail seems to be a local hotspot and gets really packed at night, not leaving much room for the paying guests. When my family of 4 tried to sit at an outside table we were told we had to leave since it was made for 8 people. I wouldn't mind so much, except the young male employee who asked us to stay was EXTREMELY RUDE (bit*hy is the perfect word). Needless to say we left - went to our balcony and enjoyed the night up there. This was the only instance of rude service though, everyone else was very sweet and helpful.
If you have little kids, I would steer clear from here. Some people like to hang at the bar and drink (and drink) while their kids play unattended in the sand or the walkway - if you're ok with that, then this is your place. I have teenagers, so not a problem for me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lin h
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff was extremely accommodating & friendly. there are cons listed below but please read the whole review first.
I can not say enough or put into words how great The front desk staff was! The women working there were extremely kind, professional and accommodating. The hotel had a beautiful view of the beach, rusty nail , fire pit and pool. It was absolutely relaxing and gorgeous. The beds were extremely comfortable I slept like a rock after a couple delicious frozen drinks outside at the beach shack and woke up to a beautiful beach view.
The female bartender was nice and working while other bartenders seemed to be goofing around and not waiting on anyone.
The rusty nail for breakfast took a long time for service. The waitresses seemed to be not awake yet for serving breakfast which we went to around 930. They were all sitting around eating in the corner booths which guests and patrons are refused to sit in. There was a young child running around the restaurant in and out of the kitchen with food in his hands and mouth. The manager seemed to be more friendly with the staff then the customers which I did not appreciate as requests were refused in a rude manor . The coffee and food were very good. Believe it or not So good that I will come back rude & inattentive staff or not the food , drinks & view are worth it.
I'm sure enough people will complain about some staff and needed upgrades that changes will be made accordingly.

Over all I can't stop thinking about the beach shack. It was great and worth the stay

I purchased a suite here and expected a more modern sleek beachy type hotel room. When I arrived the rooms were full of fumes bc they were freshly painted. there are several things that need to be upgraded such as the broken and chipped hotel doors & knobs that do not turn/ falling out of the doors , bath room vanity drawers that do not open , sinks and bath tub were clogged. it is possible that they can make some minor inexpensive upgrades. I think a lot of the issues at the hotel were due to lack up keep .

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a non-smoking efficiency. Loved the view from the third floor. We liked having a couch, table, huge kitchette counter with sink, fridgette, and microwave. The rest of the room and amenities were nothing special, just like you'd expect at a roadside motel (old, outdated lighting, hard beds, small outdated bathroom with a pee-yellow tub). We definitely had some negatives: coffee in room tasted horrible (probably because of coffee maker rather than the coffee itself); poor electrical wiring (my mom two doors down blew a fuse blow drying her hair and it cut power in our bathroom as well); and on our second night and morning, cigarette smoke was overwhelming our room if the windows were shut. We couldn't figure out where the smoke was coming from, maybe someone smoking in the room below us or in the adjoining room. It was not just a pervasive smoke smell from when/if the room had ever been a smoking room. It started all of the sudden at around 11:00 pm. We had to open the windows and door to air it out. I called the front desk, but no one answered, so we just slept with the windows open. For someone who has asthma, this is pretty unacceptable, but there was no one to contact. We informed the front desk in the morning, but since we were checking out that day, I don't know if it was looked into. All in all, I don't think it was worth the $129/night that we paid.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family