“Skip It...There are MUCH better options”
Review of Cape May KOA

Cape May KOA
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was our first visit to Lake Laurie, so I cannot comment on whether it has been improved or not. I can say that despite all of the improvements they may have made, they have a long way to go yet.

First the positives:
The staff was very nice and friendly, the location is great, and they have a nice pool that looks fairly new.

The sites are wooded and well shaded.

Now the negatives:
Sites: The sites are small and hard to get even a small trailer in (larger units beware)

Hookups: Located at the street and are shared with the neighboring site. Therefore, you will need hoses and cords that reach from the back of your trailer to the street, at least. Since they are shared, 50% of you will need hoses/cords that reach the street on the opposite side of the campsite.

Bathrooms: Some of the worst I have experienced. One of the bathhouses reminded me of an abandoned facility from a Friday the 13th movie. It clearly hadn’t been repaired in decades, holes in the wall, broken fixtures, missing toilet seats. (the pics posted by Katie A are still accurate today). The “updated” bathhouse was only somewhat better, one had an outlet hanging out of the wall (next to a light switch), the other was missing a shower head and only had a pipe sticking out of the wall.
Worst of all the water smelled TERRIBLE. At first I thought it was just some old water in the hot water heater, so I let the water run thinking the smell would go away. It didn’t. At this point after moving from bathhouse to bathhouse, stall to stall to find a complete facility I gave up and decided I wouldn’t be able to shower. Something that has never happened to me before.

There is no reason to stay at this campground. I've stayed at Holly Shores and Seashore campgrounds and both are solid choices and will provide a good experience. If they’re booked, I’d change my plans before I’d stay here again.

NOTE: I noticed that a lot of the positive reviews appear to be submitted by seasonal's. While I don't doubt them, the priorities of transient campers are different (we care less about the people and more about the facilities). So keep that in perspective in mind when reading the reviews and considering a stay here.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank delawaredan
Kelly S, Owner at Cape May KOA, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Hi Dan,

We sincerely apologize that your time at Lake Laure did not meet your expectations. We are currently aiming to make Lake Laure RV Resort one of the premier resorts in New Jersey and have enhanced the look and feel with upgrades that were completed last season.

Unfortunately, our work is not done and we will continue improvements on this resort in the coming year. We plan to upgrade more sites to offer full hookup accommodations, adding new wells to improve water pressure and clarity throughout the park, and completely remodeling all our bathhouses. These projects will resume in the spring and should be completed before the end of the 2014 season.

It’s our hope that you and your family will visit us again to see all the completed renovations and let us know how we did!

We welcome your feedback and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

It feels good to report positive things. The new managers, Ray and Susan, dove in headlong and are producing results that are fantastic. All the "small victories" will become major accomplishments by spring. I look forward (for the first time) to returning in April to see the changes. I wish you all (Joe, Russ, Kristen and the gang) the best of the holidays and hope to see you next year. Cheers!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank MayorW
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Wow, that is all I can say. DJ Scott did an awesome job, played at the pool and then even at the picnic. Everybody brought some sort of side or desert, the food was great. I was especially impressed with Jerry and the other servers and that they wore gloves! I look forward to a relaxing Oct and the best part is only 5 months before we open up again!!!! This has been the year that me and probably every other seasonal camper has been waiting for. I just hope next year the electric is done and they get the bingo going again. I personally cannot say enough about our manager Jerry and the staff this year. Maintenance also has been great, clean and the pool has been just about spotless every week.

Room Tip: If u want to book a trailer for a week next year, book early!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank unhappycamperinNJ
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Wow!! I must admit I had to check twice when I read these reviews!!! we have stayed here numerous times over the past 4-5 years!!! We have NEVER had problem there!!! Ok, some of the roads were alittle bad, but we used the bathhouses and found them to be clean and in working order....Our only complaints: 1 Dumpstation for all those trailers (and when we first went there we were charged to use it!!!!) and the fact that they wanted to charge me for a full day because we were there 15 minutes prior to check-in time!! Other than that, love it and will continue to go back!!! We found the seasonal people to be quite friendly and if it wasn't for Linda, who worked there never would have gotten into that last site!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lois H
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The place was not clean when we arrived. Very disappointed. Also, the rv hookups were very strange. No covers on the sewer hook ups and electric was on the wrong side. We were looking forward to staying but not happy with the model when we arrived. The place appeared to be clean but after looking around it was dirty.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Kitty914
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Having been a seasonal for close to 15 years, it is wonderful to see the campground being polished and brought back. I love Lake Laurie and would never leave no matter how badly the previous company abused the campground. Sites are shaded, the look eclectic ( no cookie cutter sameness), and the majority of campers good neighbors. There have certainly been issues, however Sun has been outstanding in addressing the problems. Our manager is extremely professional, always courteous, communicates on a regular basis and despite his hectic schedule will take the time to chat and listen to you. The naysayers, please stay away. We need customers who will respect and appreciate what we have and what our new company is accomplishing. To the seasonals - please help keep our beautiful camp what it can be. People who abuse and destroy our campground need to be identified and the matter handled. To Jerry and our new owners- thank you for all that you do and good luck in all that you are facing.

Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank ddekay70
Reviewed August 20, 2013

As a 6 year seasonal I have seen HUGE improvements with the campground and the staff is awesome. The Lake BBQ was the highlight of my weekend and like another reviewer I have no idea what is wrong with sjannmarie. First, I first hand witnessed Chuck constantly checking his food temperatures with a cooking thermometer. I am sure if he saw anything he didn't like, he would not have served it. Secondly, have you ever heard of a smoke ring? That is the "pink" that was in all the meats. Third, I heard him ask someone to empty and refill his bucket that he was using to wash his hands constantly. Perhaps your evening on the toilet was caused from alcohol and not food. The fact that he ran out of rolls (which his wife went up to the camp store to buy more of) and ribs is generally a sign that everything was great. I REALLY hope that Lake Laurie hires Chuck on to host more fabulous food events. Perhaps he could even run their snack stand.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
#10 of 37 in Cape May
Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
#30 of 37 in Cape May

Been to Cape May KOA? Share your experiences!