“Diamond in the Rough”
Review of Cape May KOA

Cape May KOA
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I just came back from two nights at Lake Laurie. To be honest it was the only place I could on no notice. I was aware all the poor reviews but had no other options and decided to try it since it is under new ownership. You can tell some issues have been addressed and others ignored. The store, the pool, lake and snack area are nice. I see no issues there.

The bathrooms are poor at , lights not working, missing shower heads, missing faucet handles, dirty and just not very nice in general. I'd rather have clean and working bathrooms than a new snack bar and game room.

The campsites themselves are just so so. The first site I got did had an electrical box with capped off wires and had debris and some trash in it. Also tight for my 28' Class C to get into. The second site again no power, but maintenance reset the breaker and it was good. But this site had too had to be cleaned of leaves and branches before I would take it. The fire rings are junk from old drums.

I was told by some of the seasonal campers that it much better than before, roads have been improved, trees trimmed, abandon trailers removed. All I could think of that it must of been real bad before the new owners took over.

I not go back this year, but give it try next year when the new owners have had a full season of operations to set things right.

3  Thank krazyguy1962

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Ok, I have been a seasonal for 6 years. I have a self contained trailer. I have no need to use the bath houses. In fairness, Sun Rv took over a very run down campground and has done an amazing job so far. Since I first started to camp here we were promised so many things. I must say Sun has come through on many of those promises. Is there more work to be done? Sure, what place doesn't need some sort of attention!!!! I now understand that they will be addressing the electrical concerns of all the campers. Just a few improvements so far, new roads, playgrounds, pool area has new furniture and has been cleaned and re painted, new wider beach with new sand and graded, new guard house and also new beach shed. 2 brand new rental units and an updated one. They have also renovated the camp store- office inside and out. They did a great job.

I will say this, the bathrooms were brand new about 5 years ago and were beautiful, unfortunately some people just don't respect other peoples property. I believe this campground will compete with others in the area within the next year or two....if you were ever thinking of becoming a seasonal I would get in before its to late.

I believe the new staff is doing a fabulous job......Jerry keep up the good work!!!!!

2  Thank Dwain j
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I've been camping for almost 30 years and have seen my fair of awesome campgrounds and despicable campgrounds and this has one characteristic that makes it deplorable. But first an honest review

The good: since Sun RV has taken over they have paved the main road, installed a playground area and cleaned up the pool area. The campstore and office were still not completed as of July 4th which, but from the outside they look great!

The bad: The office staff are not friendly and downright rude, not just to me but to many of the guests.

Th downright ugly: Upon checkin, they promised that the bathrooms were kept immaculate! I'll be honest and say that was a boldface lie!! Towards the end of the trip my husband and I refused to use the bathrooms given their deplorable state and took cold showers from the hose at our campsite. It's not just that they are rundown, but the cleaning schedule was non-existent. They cleaned them 1x a day on the busy 4th of July week. They need to spend some of that money on upgrades to the bathrooms!! Get rid of the combo toilet/shower room as it makes it difficult for people who might just need to pee but can't , because there are 4 people in line waiting to shower.

Despite all the great upgrades they have done, it is all ruined by the conditions of the bathrooms...it's the whole putting lipstick on a pig saying. I'm not trying to be cruel, but just honest. Everyone that camps on a regular basis knows that a good bathroom cleaning schedule is paramount to everything else!! Fix this and you might bring back some visitors and make believers out of us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank michelle m
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here in July 2013. The bathrooms and shower facilities were absolutely disgusting and really made it hard to have any positive view of this campground. A new owner has just taken over and has repaved the road, installed a nice playground and seems to be taking steps to clean things up, but the FIRST thing the new owner should have done is tear down and rebuild the bathrooms and showers. That is the sort of thing that is important to visitors and a bad experience will keep them from ever returning.

On a more positive note, the location is fantastic. You are 10 minutes from the beaches in Cape May. The campsites are a bit small, but they are set under a grove of mature trees which provide nice shade. The swimming pool was nice and it looks like the new owner has upgraded it a bit.

12  Thank BRLocalGuy
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been camping for 30 plus years it was the only campground I could get for this weekend if not for that I never would have stayed there sites are filthy uneven muddy downright shame this campground fell apart so bad I hope Sun RV put some money into this place to bring it back up to par until then you will never see me there again.the only nice thing about this place is the pool.sorry folks but I expect a lot more from a resort as you call it

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank rb134
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Booked this campground out of default. Saw that Sun RV purchased this campground and was doing major overhaul. They paved 1 road. Bath house should be destroyed and new built. The person who did my reservations was 4 states away. I asked several times, can I fit a 32ft fifth wheel. Was assured several times. Could not even back my truck onto the site, let alone a trailer. Not even a pop up. Told I would have cable, nope. Sites need to be cleaned. It is July and the leaves are in piles on the site. Campground flower is poison Ivy. Sun RV, you need to seriously clean this place and upgrade it or shut it down. Cut down some trees so people can bring trailers in. Upgrade electric to at least 30 amp. I will not be back or recommend until there are drastic changes

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Sjcamper
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have been going there for 11 years because it's cheap there. But my gosh it's a dump. The worst part is the bathrooms. Disgusting. Holes in the walls, no shower heads, rusted sinks and showers. Floors are ALWAYS WET. Toilets are ALWAYS plugged. Every single one too. If you go in the old bath houses those are crap too. The worst part is when you see a cleaner once in a while cleaning the bathrooms. You see him or her taking the mop: doing the toilet then the sink and counter tops never rinsing the mop. Sometimes there is actual poo on the wall. SO MANY MISQUITOES there!!! and there is always a problem with the power outlets and the water smells and not to mention its BROWN. Good for seasonals if you have your own stuff, terrible for occasional campers. 2012 was the worst year though. I went on my bike and noted the empty campsites. 200/750 were taken. Thats including seasonals. GREAT PLACE *sarcasm intended*. Now that is why they only show you the pool area on the tripadvisor websites.

Pros: Nice chipmunks. Thats all I got

Room Tip: Any other campground