“A Great Beach Vacation at the Columbia House”
Review of Columbia House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Columbia House
Reviewed August 23, 2007

If you are looking for a relaxing summer vacation than Cape May, NJ is the place to go. It is very family oriented and the perfect getaway. We have been staying at the Columbia House in Cape May for 4 years now and it just keeps getting better every year! The owners, Jim and Laura, take such pride in preparing their guests accommodations and really make going to the beach enjoyable and easy. They supply linens for each of their suites, beach chairs and a terrific outdoor shower stocked with everything imaginable. We will continue our summer vacations in Cape May staying at the Columbia House for many more years.

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank sophiedogPA

Reviewed July 30, 2007

Wonderful place. We have been going to Cape May for about 20 years and this was the best place we stayed. We stayed in the Parlor Suite and everything was just perfect. The place is immaculate, very bright. We enjoyed meals at the dinning room table and looking out the window at all of Cape May. The location is the best in Cape May.

The owners, Laura and Jim, were great and really care about their home and about the people who visit.

We look forward to going back next year.

A truly great place to visit.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank jillianClinton
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We just returned from a wonderful week long stay at the Columbia House.
This was our first trip to Cape May and we quickly learned that most B&B's don't allow children. However, the Columbia houses owners, made us feel very welcome traveling with our two small children.
We stayed in the Turret suite which was spacious with two bedrooms, a living room, full kitchen, two full bathrooms and a balcony. It was perfect for a family of 4, but be advised it located on the third floor with no elevator.
We loved the columbia houses traditional victorian decor. We also loved the location. We were two blocks from the beach and the Washington Mall shopping. There were also many great restaurants within walking distance.
The Columbia houses owners, Laura and Jim are incredible. They were always very helpful and kind. Despite the fact that there seems to be a million B&B's in Cape May, The Columbia house stands a cut above because of its wonderful owners who truly understand the meaning of hospitality. .

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank Barryjones5
Reviewed May 20, 2007

This place looks like a typical Victorian Bed and Breakfast. Very beautiful. When we pulled up, Laura was there to meet us and offered a help with the bags (which we politely declined) There is a parking space labeled for each of the four suites, which was great. No worries about juggling spaces with the other guests.
We stayed in the Garden Suite, which I feel is not the best suite that Laura has to offer. It was really great though, so I assume the other spaces are great too. The Garden Suite has its own entrance and back porch, which faces the parking lot. The view is not wondelful, but it is peaceful out there and it was great for my husband and I and our two year old son. We were able to let him outside to run around a little (with supervision, because the parking lot and side garden are adjacent to the street) and unloading and loading the car was very convenient.
The Suite itself has 2 bedrooms, one is clearly for kids (two twins, dolls etc) and the other has a queen bed. The Master bedroom is beautiful and the bed is very comfortable with high quality linens. There is also a living room with tv/cable/vcr/dvd. Very important with a two year old to provide some distraction while cooking etc. The kitchen is the most impressive room of the suite. Granite, modern, wonderful! Full kitchen, with microwave, full stove and oven, full fridge, dishwasher etc. Well stocked, except no sugar (only artifical sweetner for the coffee, not to be picky). The suite also had a high chair, which was wonderful for us!
I also really liked the full sized dining table. We ate in on Saturday (got take out from a great place called the Pier House). After a long day at the zoo and beach, we weren;t sure our little one could take a restaurant dinner, so it was great to be able to eat something nice in our own Suite.
The bathroom is very nice also. The tile is the shower was amazing! ANd very nice bathtowels.
EVERYTHING WAS IMMACULATELY CLEAN!
The decor is obviously Victorian, which is not my taste, so I am not one to comment on it. Everything fit well together.

A few negatives. No breakfast is served, which is not a big deal because of the kitchen and which I knew about this beforehand, but some may expect breakfast. ANdas I thought about it, it would have been fun to have a nice fancy breakfast like the other B&B's in the area.
Again, the decor is not my taste but I am sure it would please a connossiour of that era. I also just think I am the hotel type of person. We were not bothered at all by the owners but I couldn't help but feel I was bothering the other guests with my early riser son.
So, this place is very nice, and I would recommend it, but I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank ambudd
Reviewed March 20, 2007

Stayed: March 2007
12  Thank TravelGlenelg
Reviewed December 13, 2006

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank catherinerus12