“Very Nice Bed but no breakfast”
Review of Columbia House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Columbia House
Philadelphia, PA
“Very Nice Bed but no breakfast”
Reviewed May 20, 2007

This place looks like a typical Victorian Bed and Breakfast. Very beautiful. When we pulled up, Laura was there to meet us and offered a help with the bags (which we politely declined) There is a parking space labeled for each of the four suites, which was great. No worries about juggling spaces with the other guests.
We stayed in the Garden Suite, which I feel is not the best suite that Laura has to offer. It was really great though, so I assume the other spaces are great too. The Garden Suite has its own entrance and back porch, which faces the parking lot. The view is not wondelful, but it is peaceful out there and it was great for my husband and I and our two year old son. We were able to let him outside to run around a little (with supervision, because the parking lot and side garden are adjacent to the street) and unloading and loading the car was very convenient.
The Suite itself has 2 bedrooms, one is clearly for kids (two twins, dolls etc) and the other has a queen bed. The Master bedroom is beautiful and the bed is very comfortable with high quality linens. There is also a living room with tv/cable/vcr/dvd. Very important with a two year old to provide some distraction while cooking etc. The kitchen is the most impressive room of the suite. Granite, modern, wonderful! Full kitchen, with microwave, full stove and oven, full fridge, dishwasher etc. Well stocked, except no sugar (only artifical sweetner for the coffee, not to be picky). The suite also had a high chair, which was wonderful for us!
I also really liked the full sized dining table. We ate in on Saturday (got take out from a great place called the Pier House). After a long day at the zoo and beach, we weren;t sure our little one could take a restaurant dinner, so it was great to be able to eat something nice in our own Suite.
The bathroom is very nice also. The tile is the shower was amazing! ANd very nice bathtowels.
EVERYTHING WAS IMMACULATELY CLEAN!
The decor is obviously Victorian, which is not my taste, so I am not one to comment on it. Everything fit well together.

A few negatives. No breakfast is served, which is not a big deal because of the kitchen and which I knew about this beforehand, but some may expect breakfast. ANdas I thought about it, it would have been fun to have a nice fancy breakfast like the other B&B's in the area.
Again, the decor is not my taste but I am sure it would please a connossiour of that era. I also just think I am the hotel type of person. We were not bothered at all by the owners but I couldn't help but feel I was bothering the other guests with my early riser son.
So, this place is very nice, and I would recommend it, but I probably would not stay here again.

• Liked — suite size, location, full kitchen
  • Disliked — no breakfast, not my style
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank ambudd

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)