“OK, but wouldn't recommend”

Cold Spring Grange Restaurant
Ranked #79 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We embrace the “farm to table” concept. ​Our ingredients will reflect the season’s bounty. LUNCH is served Tuesday-Sunday DINNER is served Thursday- Sunday
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We dined here with friends on a recent Saturday night. There is a $30 prix fix menu, with adequate choices. The food was well prepared. Good choices: scallops, shrimp, beef. My objection was the service, or lack thereof. Our waitress was eager enough, but her manager thwarted her at every opportunity. For example, there was a choice of two different salad dressings. My dining partner wanted one on his salad, but asked for a small taste of the other. The manager said, "no." We asked our waitress when she returned to the table to see how we were enjoying our dinner so far. She initially said that she would bring us a taste of the other dressing, but then returned to say her manager wouldn't let her (!) How much could a teaspoon of dressing cost, for heavens sake! Then, the manager kept trying to get us to order the "special." Well, turns out, there is a $10 up charge for the "special." No wonder. And a second cup of coffee? Of course not! Why would you expect that!? Did I mention that the busboy started whisking away plates while some of us were still eating? With good service, I would have enjoyed the meal, but instead, left feeling irritated.

3  Thank travelPAUSA

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We dragged ourselves from the beach to get here for the $22 fixed-price, five course dinner, which is served from 4.30 to 5.45 pm. And it was worth it. Dinner started with soup (clam chowder or escarole soup) with salad (lettuce wedge or tomato slices with provolone). For the main course, I had 3 giant scallops and my husband had shrimp fra diablo over pasta with a butter/ cheese sauce. The main course was accompanied by 3 sides. Dessert was awesome - bread pudding drizzled with a caramel sauce,
Only issue-had to wait for white wine to chill. We were told someone accidentally unplugged the wine refrigerator.
Another plus-the wait staff was pleasant and attentive.
The overall experience was a treat especially from the maddening beach crowds found in Cape May's center.

2  Thank MilfordCT
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Food was very nice, I had the Caesar's Salad with Shrimp and the hubby had a blacked fish sandwich. He loved it I can definitely recommend. This place is a little off the beaten path over at the Cold Springs Living Museum (separate review). This is how we found out where it was. Try it out. The service was spot on. Thank you!!

Reviewed April 29, 2012

For years Old Grange Restaurant passed from one operator to another offering short-lived mediocre dining. Then last year along came well-known Philadelphia restauranteur, Tony Clark, and Old Grange joined the list of best restaurants in the Cape May area.

The restaurant recently opened for the 2012 season with a new approach: five course prix fixe dinners offered at reasonable prices.

On our recent visit my wife and I were offered an amuse-bouche, a choice of two soups, a choice of two salads, a choice of four entrees along with three family style side dishes and a choice of two desserts.

The amuse-bouche was a wasabi deviled egg and since neither of us care for eggs, as a substitute we were offered a plate of marinated cauliflower. We're light eaters so we skipped the soup course, either New Jersey Clam Chowder or Minestrone. The lettuce wedge salad was served with tomato and cucumber slices and a blue cheese dressing loaded with chunks of blue cheese.

One of the four entree choices was Teres Major in a red wine sauce. I've never heard of Teres Major, so I asked for an explanation, and then tried it. Our server explained that it was a beef cut second only to beef filet in tenderness. I received two inch thick medallions, medium rare as requested, and he was right: it was very tender and tasty, and certainly imaginative. My wife chose Seared Scallops with Celery Root Crema and Crispy Celery Root Chips. She was very happy with her choice. With our entrees came Sauteed Haricots Verts, Glazed Rosemary Carrots and Silky Potato Puree. The potato puree was indeed silky and the other vegetables were crisp, not overdone. The glaze made the carrots so tasty I had a second helping.
Finally, dessert. We chose strawberry shortcake, and it was like your mother used to make: real biscuit, not the usual sponge cake, with sliced srtrawberries and real whipped cream. Delicious!

The restaurant is a BYOB, but local Hawk Haven Vineyard wines are available by the bottle. In addition, a complimentary glass of beer from Flying Fish Brewery is offered. Our waiter told us that the menu will be varied and if you provide your email address, the restaurant management will keep you advised.

The decor is attractive colonial style. Service was very attentive and professional. There's plenty of free parking outside.

4  Thank practans
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Our five course prix fixe meal was excellent, and for a price of $24. Each of the five courses complemented each other, were just the right portions, and served with time to relax between courses. Everyone from the general managers to waiters had a smile and showed a genuine caring about our dining bliss. The Old Grange Restaurant is a restaurant that you will want to return to.