“Close to Beach, Inexpensive (for Cape May)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Buckingham Motel

Buckingham Motel
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Cape May
Northern New Jersey
“Close to Beach, Inexpensive (for Cape May)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the second time my husband and I stayed at the Buckingham. It's definitely a "no frills" motel, but we like it because of it's location (right across from the beach), and it's less expensive than the other hotels/motels in the same location. Another reviewer said it best "basic and clean" There is no pool, no restaurant, etc, but it's clean and quiet. Last time we stayed we had a basic room on the first floor, this year, we opted for one of the oceanfront rooms, which has a deck (shared by the other ocean front rooms). It was nice to keep the windows open and listen to the surf at night and also to have coffee on the deck in the morning while watching the dolphins frolic in the ocean (each morning there were pods of dolphins swimming in the ocean, very cool to watch them through binoculars). There doesn't seem to be a lot of kids staying here (which is nice for a couple with no children), probably because there is no pool, but who cares about a pool when you're steps from the ocean. I'll list out the pros and cons:

PROS: Inexpensive (for Cape May), clean, right across from beach, within walking distance from middle of town and from shopping areas (though it is quite a long walk if you have trouble walking).
CONS: No pool, prices went up since the last time I stayed.

In a nutshell, not a luxury hotel by any means, but when I go down the shore, I just want a place to sleep and it's clean and comfortable. Added plus, is that it's right across from the beach. I was a bit disappointed that the prices went up this year, the value for your money is not as much as it used to be. TIP: When I go to Cape May, I like to stay in a B&B if it's off-season, and you're there for the history or to walk around town and at the Buckingham during the summer, if you're there for the beach. P.S. I got a kick out of some of the reviews that complained about WIFI - put the technology down people, you're at the beach!

Room Tip: 2nd floor oceanfront, best view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WeirdNJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sparta, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I stay at this hotel every September and while it is not the most modern nor full of the best amenities it is simply a great clean and basic place to call home for your trip to Cape May. The staff is very friendly -- Janet will talk your ear off about anything you want to talk about! The rooms, again, basic. No pool -- use the big pool across the street (a.k.a. The Atlantic Ocean). Within walking distance of the beachfront bars, attractions, and shopping. If you are on a budget, this place is for you.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SpartaBrian
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This place is dated... I mean straight from the 50's. Old floral patterns everywhere and it's just old old old. I guess it's the best deal in Cape May for a good reason.

It's in the "fine print" but kids are $10 extra per night. I didn't find that out until the owner left me a note stating that "the housekeeper saw your daughter". I explained that I wasn't hiding her but she went and charged my card anyway. The website does not allow you to add children and I had to look at the fine print when I got home.

By the way my daughter is 3... Usually kids that young are free everywhere but maybe the owner needs to save up to update the place. I won't be staying here again...

I'd rather pay $50 more and stay in an updated place closer to civilization southward.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank NewYorkPowerHitter
delco,pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was here with a gf 2 years ago. I liked it a lot then..I wrote a review before

The are many things that are different since the last time I was here..

1. They didn’t have WIFI 2 years ago . They do now.buT it sucks. I have a brand new top of the line internet tablet and I couldn’t get any signal in my room I could barely even get a signal if i walked around the motel. They have 3 wifi hotspots, And NONE of them are good.I was trying to figure where the access points were. And since the motel isn’t that big you gotta wonder where they are!.Cmon guys , Go spring for a router with a better range! Less than 200 for a great router and maybe 100 each for a range extender! Trust me you wont regret it!.

2. The housekeeping girl was great. I asked for extra towels and she was very generous…Good customer service. And the towels were good quality, maybe even better than 2 years ago.

3. The rug in our room was a little dirty. It felt like there was sand all over the rug or big specks of black dirt. I couldn’t tell. When we were out of the shower my bare feel quickly felt dirty. This was NOT the case last year. I felt no sand before. And I am positive I WOULD have remembered this from before. Cmon guys, get a more powerful vacuum here.

4. The bed wasn’t as good as 2 years ago. It had a 2 inch mattress cushion that moved around a lot. My gf almost fell off the bed twice during the time we stayed.it also felt caved in.,Also the sheet at a dirty mark at the foot of the bed that I noticed when I slept there the first day

5. They offer you no complimentary shampoo. Just tiny soap bars.Its a good thing I brought some myself!

6. The fridge, which worked well 2 years ago, wasn’t as good as last time.. it took a while for things to get cold. And the freezer never actually FROZE anything even with the dial all the way up.

7.They changed the TV from small CRTs to LCD TVs .

The Buckingham- as I stated in a previous review is one of the cheapest places to stay that was relatively clean and close to the beach with good customer service I did recommend it before and compared – price wise it is still better than most, But overall the value of this motel has clearly gone down since my experience 2 years ago.

If I have to stay at at the Buckingham the next time im in Cape May( either because of pricing or availability, I will do it,but in all honesty,I may have to look around and dos ome hotel/motel shopping first before I settle with this one. Slighty recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank matfromdelco
Danbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

A fairly priced no frills hotel. If all you want is a clean room with a bed, and shower, this is the place. Never was able to connect to the internet, but the beach entrance was a short walk away. Located far enough north from the hubbub to be quiet. Pleasant staff and eager to please.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Merion, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The PROS: location: 1) right across from the beach (on Beach Ave.);
2) there are rooms which can accommodate smaller or larger families (our last room had two queens and a queen-sized futon). There would have been floor room for a blow-up mattress; 3) grills outside the rooms; 4) an outdoor shower to use to rinse off sand (encouraged); 5)kitchenettes in some of the rooms with full-sized refrigerators; 6) parking lot in the back which is close to the rooms and has enough spots for the guests; 7) 10% discount for paying cash, although it is not always offered. This last time, when I reserved on their webpage with a credit card, they just charged the full price; 8) most rooms on the ground floor.

The CONS: 1) while the price looks good, the $10 fee per guest per night over two guests jacks it up readily; 2) the wireless didn't work on our devices regardless of how close we were to the office; 3) an early checkout time of 10 am without any leeway given despite no cleaning staff visible to clean the room at the time of checkout; 4) no breakfast, no perks, and paying for breakfast in Cape May makes going to a breakfast-included hotel (even the one two doors away) look better and better; 5) NO SWIMMING POOL (and there are several hotels in Cape May with indoor swimming pools for rainy days and after-hour use in the evening when the outdoor pools close); 6) the location is a bit far from the center of town, which means an extra parking fee if you want to just shop or walk the boardwalk and not have a mile or more to walk back to the motel; 7) I didn't see beach passes in the rooms. That can also jack up the cost per person per day. Maybe there were some available from the office, but many rentals have passes readily available in the living space. It'd be worth asking since I don't see information about this on the motel webpage. 8) The beds were a bit hard for some of my party, but the futon was comfortable. 9) Flushing the toilet made such a loud sound it was scary!

So, having stayed there three times, this last was my last due to the CONs overwhelming the PROs for me. Decide for yourself.

Room Tip: Read the description of the rooms on the hotel's webpage. There are many choices.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DrDoriaol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

had a great exp staying in the private garage apt.friendly staff and owners,spacious apt offering privacy,convenience and a fantastic view of the ocean! great value,stayed 4 days and with a baby! highly recommend

• Stayed June 2012