“Big Anticipation, Bigger Letdown”
Review of Cape May Smokehouse - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cape May Smokehouse
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Cape May hasn't had a barbeque restaurant so it was with great anticipation that my husband and I tried them out last Tuesday, June 18th. It was such a disappointment.
What do you say about a restaurant that serves you corn bread so dry it makes you think of the beach two blocks away? It was dry, crumbly, thrown in a paper dish and served with nothing, not butter, or jam, or honey. It went in the trash.
The menu was so inviting. Unfortunately, ninety percent of what we ordered was unavailable, no collards, no beans, no vegetables of any kind except cole slaw which was tasteless and underseasoned. From the meager choices left, we chose mac and cheese which was, surprise, dry and tasteless. Ditto for the supposed potato salad, which although touted as homemade, tasted like it came out of a pre-made commercial tub.
We wanted lemonade, none of that either. We wound up with warm bottled water from the case.
So how about the proteins? We ordered chicken and ribs. I'll give them credit for bountiful portions. This is Memphis-style barbeque, so no sauce. The rub was nondescript. The chicken was moist (finally something that was moist besides the bottle of water!) However, the ribs were, yes, DRY and tough!
The staff was friendly, but not particularly helpful. The tiny restaurant is not inviting, with only a few tables. There also needs to be directions, a sign perhaps that reads, ORDER HERE! When you enter you have no idea whether to sit down and wait for table service or order at the counter. It's the latter.
So I'll make my own ribs and chicken for the time being. It's not worth throwing money away at this restaurant.
I

There are newer reviews for Cape May Smokehouse

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Cape May Smokehouse not off to a good start - closed at 2:30 on a sunny Wednesday afternoon (6/12) with a help wanted sign in the window and a sign on the counter stating the credit card system is "temporarily down". Then consider how long they state they smoke their meats and figure when (or if) they may reopen.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went here on our recent vacation and the place was awful. The hamburgers were OK, but my daughter hated her chicken and her friend's salad was disgusting. The french fries were soggy. The place was slow. There's no atmosphere. We ate at Tisha's down the block the next day and it was so much better and not much more expensive.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is mainly a take out business though they do have a few tables. My next door neighbor has been trying to get me to try this place and he was right. Great ribs and sides. (Thanks Jayson). The restaurant offers ribs, wings, pulled pork, "award winning " chili, burgers, smoked sausage and more. All the smoking is done by the restaurant. 16 side choices including homemade mac & cheese, fries, sweet cornbread, collard greens, baked beans and more. The owner offered me a few samples of some of the sides I didn't order and they were very good. He mentioned they do a big catering business if you need that, as well.

1  Thank TonyPuch