“Restricted to Inside”

Ranked #47 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery
Description: "The Nail," as it's known by the locals, is the famed iconic surfer bar and restaurant that made a name for itself in the '70s. And it's right here at the Beach Shack, just steps away from your room. From lifeguards and surfers to beautiful beach bunnies, they all gathered around the wood bar that was rumored to be the longest in all of Cape May. Now it's your turn to join in the fun for breakfast, lunch, dinner or its famed happy hour. Kids' meals are served on a souvenir Beach Shack Frisbee, giving you a fun after-dinner activity. Indoor spaces spill into outdoor seating, sand bar, fire pit and shuffleboard. Young, old and even four-legged friends are invited in from the beach for live entertainment and Rusty Nail's beach blanket comfort food that can also be wrapped to go.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I visit this restaurant a few times each Summer. This last time, we were not allowed to sit outside because we only had three people in our party. We were told that outside seating was for five or more. While disappointed, I still enjoyed the food and will definitely go back.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband, son and I ate at the Rusty Nail last night and were extremely disappointed with the quality of the food. We shared one appetizer and each had one entree. One glass of wine, 2 soft drinks and one coffee. The meal cost over $200. Now we love good food, and this wouldn't have been a problem if the meals were worth it. They were not. Far from it. In fact, the food was barely edible. My husband's flounder was overcooked and not seasoned at all. My son's steamed clams were tough and not seasoned at all. My seafood combo was likewise mauled. None of the food had any flavoring, any finesse, and was slapped together with no thought. All for outrageous prices. My husband, a coffee lover, was given a cool cup of coffee at the end of the meal. When he said he needed a very hot cup of coffee, we waited another 10 minutes, and he was given another barely lukewarm cup of coffee. When we're spending over $200 on a bad meal, please make a new hot pot of coffee and do now give your customer a second old, cool, clearly leftover cup. Come on! It was horrible. The night before, we had a wonderful, well prepared, flavorful dinner at the Blue Pig, owned by the same group. Why don't they even try at the Rusty Nail? All the Rusty Nail has going for it is the location and cool vibe. Great for a drink. Go elsewhere for food. We left hungry and felt like we threw away our money.

1  Thank goodcuisinelover
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have been to the Rusty Nail before and found it to be a decent place for a quick lunch. I don't know what happened this year. Our waitress completely forgot that we ordered fries instead of chips and didn't come over once to check on us. My daughter's hamburger was greasy and looked like a hockey puck. My fish tacos were disgusting: a couple of pieces of mystery fish that stunk to high heaven and were served with a pile of lettuce and had no seasoning at all. The t.v. was so loud outside that people had to yell across the table just to be heard. The bus station was about one foot from our table so we got treated to the sight of employees dumping leftovers in the trash just a stone's throw from our table. It was disgusting and overpriced-- would never go back.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family and I have been to the Rusty Nail once before. The last time my family and I ate there we liked it. This past time we ate there it wasn't the best... I had a pulled pork sandwich, that was poorly prepared and ordered a side of fries (optional) and ended up not getting them... as well as my sister who ordered fries with her meal and neither of which the waitress remembered to bring. The food was mediocre. It was a good place to stop to get a quick bite to eat.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We love the Nail! If you want a great, juicy burger and a nice cold beer, this is the place for you. The Rusty Nail isn't fancy...it's always crowded and sometimes you have to wait for a table, but you won't be disappointed with the burgers, fries and the coldest beer in Cape May.. If you're going at night, you need to understand that the Nail is also a very busy and loud bar with live music, so it might not be the best place to bring the kids past 9:00 or so.