“Specialist diets welcome”

Gecko's
Ranked #45 of 140 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Serving casual cafe fair with a variety of regional dishes. Enjoy lunch in our cozy dining room or relax outside in our shaded garden. Call us for take out.
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Specialist diets welcome”
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Very friendly and willing to accomodate specialist diets. Great food. BYO alcohol!

Newtown, PA
“They Don't Serve Geckos at Gecko's in Cape May”
Reviewed June 26, 2008

My wife and I love this Southwestern style joint! We've eaten here at least four times when visiting Cape May. It is not an elegant restaurant. It is a bit funky actually but the food is very good. My wife cannot get past the quinoa salad which she absolutely loves. She has ordered it every time we've been there. She raves about it to anyone who will listen. We found out that the dressing they use on the quinoa is a home made "Branded Onion" vinaigrette. I think that means that they blacken the onions on a grill before chopping them into the dressing. On our most recent visit I had the crabmeat and cream cheese enchiladas which were great. I asked for some hot sauce and was expecting that they'd bring me a bottle of some commercial sauce but what they brought me was a small dish of home made habanero salsa that was wonderful and pretty darned hot. I ate all of it. My wife likes the place so much that she bought one of their t-shirts. The service was friendly but definitely rushed. The two waitresses had their hands full as the place was busy.

cape may
“Slow bad service, good food”
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I just sat and waited over an hour for my salad, dinner came about 40 minutes later. The waitress never even refilled my glass! Way to suck! This was on a Wednesday night early in the summer- they weren't too busy or too slow (in terms of customers that is). I'm not going back. I got my food to go, they didn't even include everything. The food is good but not worth the wait.

New York, NY
“The best Mexican Restaurant this side of the Border!”
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We just love Gecko's! Enjoy lunch or dinner in their garden setting, start off with a huge basket of crunchy corn chips and fresh, thick salsa. You can't go wrong with any of their menu items, a personal favorite is the tostada with grilled chicken on a bed of greens with mango and pumpkinseed dressing - different and delicious! The dessert menu is extensive and all home made by a German (yes, German!) pastry chef! Try the key lime taco or white chocolate cheesecake! Yummy! Don't leave Cape May without stopping for a great Southwestern treat at this great little find.

Puznik11
“What are peopl smoking here?”
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Now I know no one restaurant is for everyone, but Gecko's sure seems to have something for everyone. From the rarely seen, yet unbelievably tasty and healthy Quinoa Salad to the jawdropping Key Lime Taco dessert, the food at Gecko's is very very very good. About the only Tex-Mex I've ever had that I would place above Gecko's was in Texas…and I'm not driving there for dinner! So for those who complain about this place's food, you may be the single exception for that year, or you should seek help for your taste buds!

HOWEVER…

Despite the fact that their food is great, and their fresh homemade, sundrenched iced tea may be the best you'll ever have, there is one problem, and that is MAKE SURE YOU ALLOW ALOT OF TIME TO EAT! If you have somewhere to go or something to do, I suggest you go elsewhere, then come to Gecko's when you can sit for awhile.

If Gecko's is empty, i.e. during the early/late lunch or early dinner times, you might be able to get quicker service, but after over a dozen visits to the restaurant last year alone, our last visit a month ago almost turned into our last. I'm no waiter, but when the place only has maybe 20 tables, and a wait staff of three people, I find it hard to believe I could be ignored for over 30 minutes at a time!

Better service, and we'd eat here more…but since we know that the odds of us sitting down and getting food, then having any time to do anything leftover thereafter is slim…we will frequent it less or simply order take-out. UNTIL THEY ADDRESS THE SLOW SPEED OF THE WAIT STAFF!

THE FOOD IS GREAT THOUGH! Just don't be in a hurry!