“great dining option in Cape May” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 136 Restaurants in Cape May
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
New Jersey
“great dining option in Cape May”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

I've been coming down to Cape May every summer for the past 20 years, but I just never noticed Freda's Cafe, right next to the Washington Mall. Since in the past we've had bad experiences at some other Cape May establishments, I decided to take a look at TripAdvisor and chose Freda's. We got there around 8 and luckily there was space for a table of 4 no reservation. There is a main menu and then a specials menu, the latter looking much better. We ordered a goat cheese salad with pecans which was great. We forgot it was BYOB but the key lime raspberry lemonade was delicious! I got the sesame ahi tun, which was a bit dry but very passable. However, my brother and mom got the crab cakes and THEY WERE TO DIE FOR! I agree with the other reviewer who said that Freda's had the best crab cake in Cape May. Jumbo crab mean with a mango sauce and delicious whipped potatoes and green beans; a far cry from bread-crumb-filled crabcakes! We were too full to order dessert, but they looked good. The one thing about Freda's is that it is on the expensive side. The average entree hovered around $28-30, although that did include salad. Overall, I'd definitely recommend Freda's Cafe!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank soccerdude24

Jackson, Wyoming
“Our new Favorite in Cape May”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We "rediscovered" Freda's on our trip over July 4th week. The food was so outstanding that we went back there for dinner three times and lunch twice. Never realized how great the lunch is. If you look at the outside of the building and check out the regular menu, you might not be too impressed. It's the daily specials that are the reason you keep going back. Not to say the regular menu is not up to snuff, not at all. The restauarnt just needs better "curb appeal" to bring in folks who have never been there. They do have, hands down, the BEST CRAB CAKE in Cape May. I just ask for the mango sauce on the side. We love, love, love Freda's. Can't wait to go back.

2 Thank travelbirdanna
West Chester, Pa
“DISSAPOINTED”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

We had been to Fredas 2 years ago and it was outstanding, however, my wife and I just visited again this past week and were truly disspointed. The appetizer was good (mussels) but the entrees were terrible. I had the lobster/shrimp/scallop stuffed into an artichoke, my wife a fried fish. My dish was just way overdone with cream sauce and cheese fish was good but I had to work for my dinner with the artichoke. The waitress said "you know you must take off the leaves and use your teeth to get out the softer part" then the real "heart" of the choke was the size of a pea. Certainly not worth the time spent chewing or pulling with my teeth. My wife's dish was heavily breaded. Again, very dissapointing. They need to stop "inventing" dishes that just don't work and also stop with the overly heavy creamy sauces. Oh, and the garlic mashed? It was basically heavy cream with some potatoes.

2 Thank Cranium
Philly
“Nice atmosphere and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We ate here for the first time this year - it was recommended by a friend. The food was very good. We all different fish specials of the day. The atmosphere was very nice as well. I felt the server was not the greatest though. She seemed to be very annoyed by my two boys who are not little - 16 and 12.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BRATTLEBORO
“Our new favorite dining experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We haven't been to Freda's in several years and tried it out yesterday; what have we been missing?? The seafood bisque was incredible with a brown butter base and nice pieces of lump crabemeat, The warm goat cheese, rolled in chopped pecans with poached pears was also outstanding. Our main courses, Crab Cakes Marcus and the Rack of Lamb, were no less wonderful. We'll be back!!