“A wonderful place for dinner”
Review of Freda's Cafe

Freda's Cafe
Ranked #12 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: Deli, International, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We just had a great meal at Freda's Cafe. The owner of the B&B we are staying in recommended it, as did some of the guests we met this evening. So, off we went.

It is located at the northern end of the Washington Street Mall, and has a large plate glass window that overlooks the street. There are about 12 or so tables that are fairly close together, and although it was slow when we entered, there were only 2 tables free when we left. So, I would make reservations. It is also BYOB.

There was a standard menu, and an additions menu. While the regular menu listed prices of each dish, the additions menu had no prices (which we found strange). The waitress told a table near us that the entrees on the additions menu were in the $26 - $32 range. The menu itself is not terribly large, but had all of the major areas represented (seafood, meat, pasta, etc.)

We skipped appetizers. Each entree comes with a smallish salad that was nicely arranged. There are only 2 dressing choices: Russian and a miso-soy-sesame. I had the former, which was quite good, and my wife and son had the latter, which they raved about (my son pouring it over his salad and then dipping his bread into what was left). The bread was a bit disappointing in texture and taste (very bland).

I had the crab cakes, which were served with a mango sauce over mashed potatoes along with a side of sauteed green beans. The crab cakes were outstanding. Lots of crab meat, very little grease. The mango sauce was addictive, and worked well with the crab cakes. The potatoes were also very, very good.

My wife had Chilean sea bass which was cooked with a honey BBQ glaze and served with purple sticky rice and a mushroom tempura topping. While she thought that there was far too much sauce, the sauce was tasty (these guys know how to make sauces) and the fish cooked perfectly. While the sticky rice was indeed purple, it did not have the taste or texture of true sticky rice.

My son had the rack of lamb, which was served with a choice of starch (he chose garlic mashed potatoes). There were eight small chops, and he quickly went to work devouring 4 of them. While the entree looks small, it is bigger than it looks and he was not able to finish it all. He did comment that the lamb itself was a bit peppery (perhaps due to a rub).

We did not have dessert as we were going to wander the mall after dinner.

All in all, it was a very good meal and a great start to our vacation.

Reviewed July 30, 2009

Freda's was recommended to us by fellow guests during a recent stay at a Cape May
B & B. They particularly liked the crab cakes and lamb.
My husband and I both ordered the crab cakes and they were, by far, absolutely the best crab cakes we have ever had and we've eaten crab cakes in many, many places. If there was any filler in the cakes we couldn't find it. They were perfectly seasoned and broiled. The mango sauce is a unique touch - loved it.
It's true that Freda's is small and the tables are close together but we'll gladly sacrifice a little space if it means we'll be served excellent food. As to the price Freda's is no more pricey than any other superior restaurant on the cape.
Reservations for dinner are a must.

Reviewed July 25, 2009

I've tried Freda's for lunch twice, and I liked it both times. The food is good. Most recently, I had a Chilean sea bass sandwich there, and my husband had a Kobe burger. Both sandwiches come with what look like hand-cut fries---very tasty and not at all greasy. Also, I like the little touches that make a big difference. For example, they didn't serve us ketchup in a bottle or a plastic container; they served it in a mini-ramekin on a small plate with a doily. That's nice!

What I really like about the place is that it's clean and has a touch of elegance that is lacking in most places in Cape May that bill themselves as "fine dining." There were fresh, pretty flowers on every table in Freda's, and REAL tablecloths (this is a rarity in CM). The place is a bit small, but we went for lunch around 1:30, and it wasn't crowded, so the size was no problem.

The servers are friendly. On my last visit, our server was not only efficient but also warm and friendly. That really contributes to the experience.

The only thing that might turn some people away from the place are the prices. It cost my husband and I $36 for lunch (includes a $5 tip). My husband's burger was $13.95. I would go back, but I do think this might be a bit much for some people.

Reviewed July 20, 2009

This place is AWESOME! The food is unbelievable! It must be one of - if not the - BEST in Cape May....I would recommend everyone to try this place. Doesn't look like much, but you WILL NOT be dissappointed! The place is very small, reservations suggested. TRY IT! TRY IT! TRY IT! (It is a bring your own, so don't forget your wine!)

Reviewed July 16, 2009

We have eaten dinner at Freda's many times. I love the rack of lamb. My son loves the soup and the crabcakes, my husband always wants to go there. You may pay a little more than a eating at the Lobster House but the food cannot be compared!!! I refuse to wait in long lines for mediocre food. I especially like that you can BYOB. Not a place for small children, it's small, but my son is a well behaved 13 year old and he loves it.