“Satisfying Food and Friendly Waitstaff”
Review of Freda's Cafe

Freda's Cafe
Ranked #20 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Herndon, Virginia
“Satisfying Food and Friendly Waitstaff”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation for lunch - and was glad did! This place is small, but every table was in use. I ordered the turkey club sandwich. The bread was toasted, the turkey warm, the bacon crispy and the lettuce and tomato had a satisfying 'crunch'. As good a club sandwich as it should be!
This place does not serve alcohol, so BYO is you want a glass of wine - they will open it and put it in a cooler for you.
This place is not fancy, but the food is great home cooking. Definitely worth a visit!

Trenton, New Jersey
“Comfort food for a windy fall day.”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

After visiting Cape May many times before, and never thinking of making a reservation here, we did get in for lunch without a reservation, and now we are wondering why we didn't try harder before. Ashley, our server, made us feel immediately welcomed. She explained the many lunch time specials, and brought out the chicken, lentil, broccoli rabe and pasta soup that warmed us even as the door kept opening with new customers. The mac and cheese was comfort food plus, while the glaze on the chicken was yummy with ginger and sesame oil. It is a really small place with not a lot of tables but will definitely be on our must have list the next time we visit Cape May.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank RoadLessTravelledNJ
Astoria, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Dinner”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by the owners of our B&B.My wife and I
had a wonderful and delicious dinner our first night in Cape May and can't wait to go back.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jim and Sue B
Rockton, PA
“Paid form the "attitude"”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Dined here on October 6 or dinner, party of three, my mother in law, husband and myself. HEED THE WARNIG in a previous review about the price of the "specials". My mother in law had the nut encrusted halibut, small portion, overlooked, came with exactly 3 spears of asparagus. I had the stuffed chicken breast, again, overlooked, came with 3 spears of asparagus. I also cannot eat salad, which they would NOT substitute with a cup of seafood chowder, so that was extra. the chowder was good, but we have had better. My husband had the "Special" app of oysters as his entree, and he also got the chowder. All in all..high prices, skimpy over cooked portions, and our waitress clearly had an "attitude" which did not go unnoticed by us. For a bill for three people that was over 100 dollars, it was clearly a disappointment. On the plus side, we arrived just as it was opening and didn't have a problem being seated right away.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Rockton_PAGlinda
Northern Virginia
“Very enjoyable fine dining”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Freda's café the first Saturday of October. The food was wonderful, expensive but worth it. Service was excellent: friendly, helpful, and professional. It is quite small, so reservations are a must at peak times (even in October), and you still may end up waiting a bit. We had an 8:00 reservation, and got seated about 20 minutes late. It might have been longer, but the couple before us left shortly after being seated (perhaps surprised by the high prices.)

It looks at first glance like a casual café, simply decorated, but most entrees were priced in the thirties. We had salmon Wellington and broiled barramundi, which were wonderful, and we also very much enjoyed our mussels appetizer and crab bisque. The cutlery was of a quality more appropriate for a diner, but that didn't detract from our enjoyment. If I had been trying to wow a first date, that might have been a bit annoying, but the great food more than makes up for less than spectacular décor. The menu offered creative choices, not just the same old things, and very nicely presented (see photos).

Like most Cape May restaurants, you can bring your own bottle of wine, and they will serve it for you. Dessert was also excellent (praline cake a la mode).

I highly recommend Freda's Café for a special dinner.

• Visited October 2013