“La Verandah- great outdoor dining”
Review of La Verandah

La Verandah
Ranked #62 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have been going to this restaurant for many years. We always try to plan an
evening to have dinner at La Verandah. The staff is always attentive, especially the owner Alan who is always present and makes sure that every meal comes to the patrons as requested. It is BYOB which is always enjoyable- since you can bring your favorite bottle of wine without paying a premium. I would recommend the grouper entree. Deserts are a most.

3  Thank seniorjerseyguys

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I love it here! The La Verandah never ceases to amaze me. I recently returned to Cape May this past June and made sure to stop here with my husband. Every time we go I other the roasted breast of duck and my husband orders the Halibut. Both entrees are simply delicious with just the right amount of tenderness. The La Verandah really is the hidden gem of Cape May. I'm surprised it's not packed with a waiting list every night. I would definately recommend this restaurant to anyone who travels to Cape May.

3  Thank DeeMarco
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We are 30 year veteran vacationers to Cape May. Having eaten in many of the restaurants listed here, I wanted to try a different place. After reading the reviews for La Verandah we decided to try it. We were greeted & seated immediately by the hostess and our waitress was very friendly. We liked the Victorian Inn atmosphere as well.

Now to the service & food. In the reviews many said the grouper was superb so 3 of us ordered it only to be told they only had 2 orders left! At 7:45pm no less! While everyone attending to us was gracious (for some reason we had 2 waitresses & the mgr) we waited way too long for our food, almost 30 min between the salads & entrees and the place was not as busy as you might expect for a Saturday night Labor Day weekend. The manager apologized when we politely inquired about our food and when it finally arrived he personally helped deliver it, as he should have.

Overall La Verandah fell short of our expectations especially with the rave reviews guests gave it. A bit pricey too. It's a BYOB so can't imagine how much more the bill would have been if alcohol was served! My husband had the NY strip which he said was ok but he commented that Outback Steakhouse (A CHAIN) has a better steak! =(

Not sure if we'll give this another try next time we come since there are so many other good spots to visit!

3  Thank Petunia2962
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I had high expectations for this restaurant given the fact that the decor was tasteful and elegant. I would have to agree with the reviewer who said that other than the Lobster Bisque, everything else was not up to the caliber that it pretends to be. The butter was stale, my roasted duck was rubbery and tasteless (I wonder if it is not frozen b/c the texture was quite unusual), the "rouille" that was served w/the seafood soup had too much mustard and not enough saffron (the color did not even come close, it was a weird 'beige'. I had to send back the creme brulee b/c once again it had that stale, odor of refrigeration in it. They should take the name 'Poulard' off the menu b/c the woman would be turning in her grave to find such poor food associated with her namesake.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

My husband and I just got back from a three night getaway in Cape May. During my last trip to Cape May in , I believe, the summer of 2003, I dined at La Verandah and was very impressed. I remember loving the food and the romantic feel to the place. I made a reservation for our first night , Friday ,for dinner. It was still FANTASTIC. I could not believe that the food quality and portions , along with the ambience still remained the same. With the economy today, so many restaurants and businesses have cut corners , charging more for less, that it was refreshing to come here. We live in NYC , and have dined at many gourmet restaurants and this place is right up there!!! My husband was also very impressed, so impressed we came back on Sunday night. Both nights I had the lamb dish which was OUTSTANDING. That essence of thyme sauce and the succulent lamb, along with the mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables was delicious. Not to mention the presentation. My husband had two fish dishes and he loved them . The desserts were also flavorful and scrumptious. DON'T miss out on the key lime pie, the BEST I ever had. But the flourless chocolate cake and fruit tart were also excellent! My only regret is that we did not eat here on Saturday night, too. So many nice selections, not enough time. I have to also comment on the staff. Very polite , professional and pleasant. I have food allergies and they were very accomodating!! Thank you!!! Overall an excellent experience. Don't visit Cape May without dining at La Verandah!!!

2  Thank Chrissy124