“An outstanding must visit new restaurant in Cape May!”
Review of La Verandah

La Verandah
Ranked #64 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2011

The atmosphere was great, food was delicious,service was tremendious!!!Located in the Alcot hotel in historic Cape May. Its a byob. . The prices are very competative compared to the other restaurants there. Newly opened on Memorial weekend. It's a must try on a visit to Cape May. You won't be disappointed!!!

3  Thank bscan

Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband and I had very high expectations visiting this place and were disappointed with the level of service and calibur of food served. The veranda is almost a block back from the beach, so the view is obstructed by parking lots and hotels. In addition, it was chilly the night we attended and the wait staff took their time arranging a new seat inside. I will say the Lobster Bisque was the best I ever had! The other food we ordered was overpriced, not very warm when it came to our table (including the coffee!) and we both got sick that night.

1  Thank IslandHopperDiva
Reviewed May 28, 2011

My husband and I had dinner here with another couple over Memorial Day weekend. The halibut on angel hair pasta was probably one of the best fish I have EVER had in my life. It was cooked perfectly-so light, fluffy-like a cloud in my mouth(seriously-a cloud).
My husband had the rack of lamb which made him very happy. Our fabulous foodmates had the filet and grouper. Both of them were very pleased with their decisions. My appetizer was the special of the day, New Zealand green lip muscles baked with a rich aeoli. Yup-tasted as good as they sound. We met the french chef preparing the foods-pleasant man-no wonder everything was so delicious-it was prepared with perfection in mind.
We are quite the foodies having dined all over NYC. We must say it was definitely our favorite meal in Cape May to date!

3  Thank JustJustine
Reviewed February 28, 2010

It's a shame it's not open all year long. Very underrated. Well rounded and executed menu. BYOB and metered street parking. Dine inside or on the porch. There is garden dining as well. Make a reservation as soon as they open and enjoy the French based cuisine. It is a little pricey but not so much that you'll be disappointed.

1  Thank fooddude22
Reviewed July 9, 2009

For our Anniversary, we decided on La Verandah for the dinner/show combo on 7/7/09 at 5pm. Though providing no parking nor bar service, the dining area was nicely decorated with some needed touch up paint. The service and menu were what one would expect for the price with no complaints running from $25-30.00. The show at another location costs $35.00. However, for $59.00 one receives a lesser menu selection with less courses and a show ticket. Total for 2 for meal/show with tax $126.25 for which we left a tip of $10.00, i.e., 15+% for the meal portion. When leaving we were approached by the man who seated us inquiring whether we liked the "service" and when we said we did he said sarcastically a 10% tip is not normal. Rethinking the math we found BASED on the meal portion the tip well exceeded 10% as we informed him. However, he still felt a tip should be based on the the total for meal & show as he with a disgusted look answered the phone and we departed never to return. First, it is up to the customer to leave a tip or not and in what amount. Secondly, one should not be confronted by nor subjected to a vain attempt to embarrass a customer by such a small individual. He and La Verandah should be grateful that we did not waste the time to retort to his inane comments.

3  Thank GJLGJL