“Martinis and Memories”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2014

The Merion dates back to the mid-1880s and got its name around 1906 when members of Philadelphia's Merion Golf Club helped purchase it (--and rename it) as an suitable oasis for the privileged visiting the seashore during Cape May summers. We're newcomers -- our first time to have a nightcap at Merion's historic bar was probably around 1979. So we were delighted when the Merion re-opened in July after a two-year delay following a fire which damaged only the roof, but apparently may have helped to enrich lawyers on either side. I happened to call to make my reservation this week back on the very day it re-opened. It was great to walk back in time and see so much that looked so familiar, so comfortable, so unchanged. Its Merion birthright may be why the martinis are so wonderful--served in silver shakers left chilling at the table for your refill. Yes, they were everything to which a martini should aspire. My wife loved the BBQ short ribs--melted in her mouth, she said, at least equal to the best she's ever had. She says the seasoning was perfect, just the right touch of BBQ sauce, not overwhelming, but tender and succulent. I cannot rave as much as that about my crab imperial, but who can question my wife's taste. When she's happy, I'm very happy!

Reviewed August 27, 2014

My last review for this restaurant was in July 2012.
I was fortunate to dine here again a few nights ago, and the service and food was excellent.
We all ordered this time the entrees from the menu (17.95 or 18.95?) which included dessert and
2 sides each particular to the entree. They arrived all together, beautifully presented.
Two of us ordered the salmon with wasabi mashed potatoes and vegetables, which were delicious, and we had a choice of one of 2 desserts - creme caramel flan or chocolate pots de creme.
We are from California and so we like the slightly smaller portion and economic size of these wonderful meals.
What's also unique about the Merion Inn is the live piano music at the bar which livens up the whole meal and makes dinner there really feel as if one is truly "dining out", and a special event.

They do not use Open Table but one can make reservations.

I've included my 2012 review here.

"While not as "upscale chic" as the retaurants at Congress Hall, this restaurant is NOT to be missed.
The bartender knew how to make a Manhatten drink, 'perfect', and the piano music and singing at the bar added to,our atmospheric evening. The choices of dinner options was big, and one could choose what size portion one wanted with some of the entrees! The desserts had to be shared because there were so many good choices.
The evening we dined had a new 20+ year old singer whose voice and knowledge of lyrics was wide....we could have stayed longer just to dine and listen!
Will definetly return ....
Granted the decor was a little dated, but charming, as is Cape May, clean and the service was friendly and happy..."

Reviewed August 26, 2014

My husband and I had dinner at the Merion Inn twice during our holiday in Cape May. The service was friendly and efficient. The food was fantastic and the entertainment really good (they have a piano player every evening after 5:30 pm). There is live jazz on Tuesday nights and an great early bird special (an appetizer, entrée and dessert for $19.95 if you arrive before 5:30 pm), which we thoroughly enjoyed. An excellent choice when staying in Cape May.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We dined at the Merion Inn while visiting Cape May with extended family. Since we have always had wonderful experiences here in the past, we decided to save this for our last night together, a very special occasion. We made a reservation in advance, which is highly recommended, especially for larger groups. Once again, we had an awesome dining experience. Our party ordered a large variety of things from the menu - including crab cakes, scallops, crab imperial, and stuffed flounder - and everyone raved about their food. Our waitress was top notch, and very accommodating to our group (she even brought out a second basket of bread well into our meal). Although it was a busy evening in the restaurant, we were not rushed through our dinners. The Merion Inn was the perfect location for our special evening, and we are looking forward to our next visit there.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Fine Dining experience. Menu choices were excellent, I had the filet with the shrimp scampi... dee-licious. Live piano music in the bar made the dining very romantic. Service was 5 star, our waitress was very personable and accomodating. Highly recommend for couples.