“Arrogance”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My family and I have spent many summer vacations at Cape May and have eaten at most of the better restaurants in town. It's a special place to visit just about all year round, but is extra special around Christmas time, so we were were looking forward to having a nice dinner during our weekend stay in Dec.

Unfortunately, we chose our restaurant poorly. The Merion Inn was quick to take our reservation but anything but quick to honor it. Clearly they either overbooked (knowing that only a few restaurants stay open during the winter), or their staff was inexperienced in managing reservations. Either way we had to wait 45 minutes beyond our reservation time to be seated. Neither the manager nor maitre d were apologetic about the wait time.

The food was good but a bit pricy. The wait staff was not what you'd expect of a higher end restaurant. They reminded me of temporary help that hadn't quite learned the menu. The type you'd expect to find in a dinner...quick to take your order, quick to serve and quick to give you your check.

2  Thank VFD56

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We arrived in Cape May Dec., 22nd, 2012 and had reservations for 6 pm. We were seated immediately. The four of us ordered grey goose dirty Martinis which were made perfectly. My husband and I ordered appetizers, the shrimp cocktail and clams casino. Both were very good. Our daughter and my husband ordered the Caesar salad. The dressing was not so good. For the entrees, 2 of us ordered the Merion Lobster tail imperial (39.95) and 2 of us ordered the Prime Rib. The lobster tail imperial was had a ton of watery mayo and over cooked lobster tail. The potato cup that came with it was very good. The steamed veggies were less than memorable. My husbands cole slaw was the best I have ever had. My daughter and my husband both ordered creme brulee. Both were meh. The waitress was very good and very attentive. We have been coming here for years but we are not so inspired to rush back the next time.

3  Thank RFosh
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were in Cape May for a long weekend this Christmas season. Because we had tickets for the Christmas House Tour in the early evening we decided to take advantage of the early dinner special at The Merion Inn. We were very disappointed from the start. We arrived at our scheduled reservation time and the hostess was distracted. She was very involved with her computer, barely looking up to talk to us. She told us "we're not quite ready yet, you can sit over there". That was followed by our waitress barely paying attention to our orders and when we asked for a description of one of the menu items, we were told that well, it's just what it says on the menu.
A disappointment: the food was good, but the service was off-putting. We will NOT return.

4  Thank Marty-Ronaele
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My wife and I just went there tonight and it sounded really nice on TripAdvisor, what with the piano and the menu. Things started out alright, but when my wife only ordered one drink and we both ordered the express meals at $17 each, the waitresses attitude went through the floor.

The waitress delivered the food but never came back to top off water glasses or see if everything was alright. When she bussed the plates, she took all the forks so my wife had to eat her dessert with her coffee spoon. We could hear her behind us gushing over other couples ordering a lot more food and liquor, so we figured her behavior was directly related to tip potential.

When the bill arrived she almost threw it at us as she ran away and as I carefully read it, I saw that we were charged $1.50 for the bread, but it was delivered to us without asking if we wanted it or commenting there would be a charge.

I am usually a 20-25% tipper and this service was so bad that I followed the rule to the letter and gave her only15% for the food, minus the drink.

Instead of staying and enjoying after dinner drinks, we went back to our Hotel and enjoyed their bar.

We are not telling you to avoid the place. We are telling you that unless you're a drunk flashing cash. your service will be unbearable.

I am also worried that someone looking for tips that bady may be scanning your credit cards and stealing your ID, so I am holding onto this receipt in case anything happens in the next few weeks, so they'll know exactly who to come after.

4  Thank ditpook
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Very disappointed in our dinner at the Merion Inn this past Saturday. The waitress was not friendly and basically ignored us, only taking our orders and never coming back to see if we enjoyed our meal or if we would like something else. My husband had the Beef short ribs that was very fatty, so much that he left basically the whole meal. She never asked why he left so much on his plate. The only thing good about the experience was the people we were with and the nice bus girl Hannah!

5  Thank Rina M