“Great food ... Horrible service”
Review of The Merion Inn

The Merion Inn
Ranked #21 of 140 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Wilmington, Delaware
“Great food ... Horrible service”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Went during Restaurant Week so that may have impacted the experience ... BUT ... Had reservations for 8:15pm for 4 people... Arrived early to have a drink at the bar .. The bartenders were very good, and drinks reasonably priced. The reason for the rating is that we were not seated until 9:15 ... A full hour after our reservation!!! I understand that most places cannot guarantee an exact time ... But with a reservation, I believe a place should seat you within 20 minutes of that reservation time. After seating ... Service also seemed slower than expected. On the plus side ... The food was excellent .... Favors and ingredient combinations made for a great meal.

New Jersey
“Great Find”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

They have parking next to the Inn. The food was very good. The service was fine. The atmosphere was wonderful. There was live music. The food was inventive and fresh. If in the area, make a reservation.

1 Thank dlennp
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
“Dinner on Tuesday Sept 18th”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

First tiem visitor. Valet parking nicely done. Seated promptly. Very pleasant and attentive waitress. Nice Victorian decor. My fried tomato appetizer was great, entree was the chicken francese' - it tasted OK, but it was thoroughly browned - definitely affected the texture - didn't taste burned, but certainly tasted an "advanced brown" .... right on the edge. Had the twice baked potato, tasted OK, nicely seasoned, but I suspect instant potatoes .... My wife wasn't thrilled by her appetizer but said her lamb chop was tasty (good size too). Dessert was a good cheesecake, With a $26 bottle of wine, our bill came to $102 before the tip .... Probably won't be back

1 Thank KenfromPa
Easton, Pa.
“Burned, burned, burned”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

First our waitress was very unattentive. She hardly visited our table, no service and questioned why I might want more bread asking if I already got a piece. ARe you kidding me? I ordered flounder franchises she said good choice. When it finally came it was clearly burned. She put the plates down and left. When I could not eat it I could not find her. I asked another server for help. He was great. Took one look at my plate, scooped it up and said it would be taken off the bill. When the waitress came back she argued with me as some people like it burned. She went on and on. No customer service. I mentioned that you could smell it was burned. She agreed. Wow, wasn't that nice. She also smelled the burned food and proceeded to serve it to me. How insulting. Told me the wrong chef was working and that is why it was bad. Bad service. Bad food. Never again. Shame on them. Very ignorant waitress.

2 Thank riverratEASTON
AndWhere2Next
“Just ordinary, was hoping for exceptional.”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I took my parents out to dinner at the Merion Inn for a little night out in Cape May. The property appears to be well-maintained and has complimentary valet parking. The attendant was both quick and courteous.

At the reception area, there were two hosts working to seat arriving guests. Both hosts were friendly and quickly escorted us to our table.

The table service was a little slow; our drinks arrived about 10 minutes after we sat down. This wasn't an issue because we were not in a rush.

For the first course, my parents each had the cream of portobello soup. My mom offered a taste and it seemed to have a bit too much sage or oregano in it. Otherwise, it was fine. I ordered the Maryland crabcake appetizer which was served in a puddle of remoulade, corn relish, and diced tomatoes. The crabcake was OK but the presentation was sloppy.

For the main courses, my dad had the prime rib (which he loved), my mom had the deviled crabcake dinner (which she liked), and I had the veal scallopini special - it was served in a wine sauce and topped with apples (which I wasn't thrilled with - the veal was very tough and the apples didn't seem to coordinate with the dish).

As side dishes, we ordered the Merion Cup potatoes and grilled asparagus. The potatoes had been described as "double-baked potatoes without the skin". The moment I tasted them, I could tell that they were instant-mashed. When I inquired, the hostess (who checked with the chef) confirmed that they were made with "potato pearls".

I guess this is one of my pet-peeves, but I might expect instant mashed potatoes at a diner, not at a restaurant serving $27 entrees. When I see instant mashed potatoes on my plate, I begin to wonder what other corners were cut before my meal arrived in front of me.

For three of us, the bill was $150 before tip.