“Very classy dinner adventure”
Review of 410 Bank Street

410 Bank Street
Reserve with OpenTable
410 Bank Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lafayette
Description: A winding slate path through overhanging vines and tropical foliage leads to the historic 1840 Carriage house. Slowly spinning ceiling fans stir the aromas of French-New Orleans accented cooking and fresh seafood and steaks grilling over mesquite. Envision yourself in New Orleans or Key West. Dining in the canopied garden, or on the candlelit veranda, the dream continues with the exotic cuisine of internationally acclaimed Chef Henry Sing Cheng, whose original creations include local-caught tuna, swordfish and mahi-mahi in fabulous sauces, elaborate entrees of local shellfish & lobster, and the justly famous smoked, grilled and blackened steaks and prime rib. Beyond the menu, a dozen or more seafood specials are offered nightly. The helpful staff, coolly attired in 410's signature tropical batik, makes you feel like you are dining on a private yacht. One of ZAGAT™s "AMERICA'S TOP RESTAURANTS 2012." Please call restaurant directly for parties larger than 6. (609) 884-2127
“Very classy dinner adventure”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We parked about a block away at the lot that is suggested by the restaurant's website. It was an easy walk over to the entrance. You feel like you are walking into a bistro in Key West even though you are in New Jersey. Inside, it is like a friend's living room. Perfect for my mother's sixty-something birthday.

The emphasis on locally sourced food was obvious on their menu. Jersey Chardonnay was just OK but we hadn't known such a thing existed before eating here. The lobster and steak were excellent. This is an expensive restaurant with a family restaurant feel, but the service is upscale and elegant, so the net experience is interestingly inconsistent. Worth a try, for sure.

• Greek first
Wayne, New Jersey
“Amazing meal !”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was our second visit...my husband and I were celebrating our 15 yr anniversary. We came to 410 last year too. Food has always been amazing, service too. We had the shrimp trio for an appetizer, my husband had the salmon and I went for the lobster tail ! Whoa.... Portion sizes are great- we could not finish our dinners. Love that it's a BYOB too.
Cannot wait to come back, my mouth is watering just writing this ! Wish they didn't close for the season- would love to come over the holidays.

Midlothian, Virginia
“FOR your celebrations or anytime!!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Found this gem in Cape May while searching for a birthday dinner for
our daughter, Tifanee. She chose it from Cool Cape May's book
We arrived on a very rainy night, loved that sound on the "porchlike"
seating. My husband and I shared a macadamia crusted mahi mahi
excellent and Tifanee got the Jamaican steak~ a la awesome (my words)
we had a mushroom appetizer ~ YUM then shared a bread pudding
and a dense dark chocolate cake~ one fabulous meal and oh the
atmosphere and waiter were wonderful YOU should go!!

Cape May, New Jersey
“First of Many Visits”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

As many of my readers know, I am Cape May centric in my reviews. I have been by bank street a lot but never stooped in at 410. Was I surprised!
I was met right at the door. It was a solo night for me so I wanted to be tucked away. My waiter Don knew the menu and specials perfectly.
The is a wine list souley featuring Cape May wines. But I had my own Spanish red from Colliers across the way. It was popped and poured quickly.
The menu reminded me of a New Orleans Bistro. 410 Bank Street works hard to get great local seafoods. Cape may happens to be the second largest fishing port on the east coast. Although landlubbers will go wild about their in house smoker and roasts of the night.

I ordered a 5 mushroom app. It was in a wine reduction sauce that was perfect. The alcohol was cooked off leaving a finished rich sauce.
By the way, the bread basket was simple rolls with really high quality butter. Red wine, bread and butter is my favorite way to start.

I went with the gumbo. I'll warn you now, it was pricey at over $30. That being said it was packed with many succulent shellfishes, scallops etc. not overcooked. Most gumbos cook the shellfish until too tough.it was plated with rice cooked to al dente. One note, be aware of the sausage tucked in there. It is of such high quality it could be easy to overlook. Great gumbo with a good amount of kick. Back to the price. This dish is easily two meals. The seafood was plentiful so I would say the price is justified.
Finished it all with key lime pie and fresh decaf coffee. Pie was served icy, on purpose. The ice of the smooth tart filling combined well with the hot coffee.

I sat on the porch. Restaurant has an intimate feel and I was not rushed at all. Can't wait to bring the wife here.

So go...It's great... You can bank on it! (Couldn't resist it)

Beautiful Jersey shore
“Romantic anniversary dinner, a memorable night”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Visited 9/29/13 for dinner. This was our second visit, and I was worried that the second visit wouldn't live up to the memory of the first amazing meal - but I needn't have worried. The food was great, the service friendly and impeccable, and the evening memorable. I didn't get our server's name, but he was an older man who'd obviously worked there for quite some time. He was amiable but still very professional. We started with a special appetizer of wild mushrooms served over puff pastry. I wished there had been a little more pastry for sopping up all those fantastic mushrooms, but it was great nonetheless. I ordered the file gumbo, jam-packed with a whole lobster tail (would have been better out of the shell), crab, shrimp, crawfish and a couple of scallops. This gumbo was every bit as good (and probably better) than the best gumbo I tried in NOLA. My husband had a special of grilled duck breast and a stuffed chicken leg in a blueberry reduction - he could not stop raving about it. Although stuffed, we agreed to split the house specialty, Louisiana bread pudding, and it was delightful, creamy but crispy around the edges. I can't wait to go back on our next trip. My only complaints involve the closeness of the tables, which others have mentioned, and the uneven tile floor - my chair was stuck in a grout crack through the entire meal.

• Visited September 2013