“A stellar appetizer, but little else” 4 of 5 bubbles

410 Bank Street
Ranked #23 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lafayette
Description: A winding slate path through overhanging vines and tropical foliage leads to the historic 1840 Carriage house. Slowly spinning ceiling fans stir the aromas of French-New Orleans accented cooking and fresh seafood and steaks grilling over mesquite. Envision yourself in New Orleans or Key West. Dining in the canopied garden, or on the candlelit veranda, the dream continues with the exotic cuisine of internationally acclaimed Chef Henry Sing Cheng, whose original creations include local-caught tuna, swordfish and mahi-mahi in fabulous sauces, elaborate entrees of local shellfish & lobster, and the justly famous smoked, grilled and blackened steaks and prime rib. Beyond the menu, a dozen or more seafood specials are offered nightly. The helpful staff, coolly attired in 410's signature tropical batik, makes you feel like you are dining on a private yacht. One of ZAGAT™s "AMERICA'S TOP RESTAURANTS 2012." Please call restaurant directly for parties larger than 6. (609) 884-2127
new york
“A stellar appetizer, but little else”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Not to say that this place was bad, just not stellar. I'd highly recommend the scallops app - one of the best bits of food in my life. The catfish entree was good as well, not quite as stunning as the blackened sea scallops but good. They did put 13 of us at 3 tables, which, while surely difficult, was a bit much. Perhaps a reasonable reservation strategy could've been suggested by the management.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

• Greek first
Staten Island, New York
“just so so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived to this restaurant which is small and very cramped at 630pm on a Thursday. We ordered crab cakes which they were out of..They should not be running out of things so early on a midweek night. Moving forward, my husband asked if they offered oysters and the waiter rudely said no, you can get that at a few other restaurants in Cape May but not here..completely uncalled for. My main course was the Chilean sea bass which was phenomenal, but pricey at 39.00. My husband has a flounder trio special which was just average. Waiter was rude and quite honestly, the food with their limited menu was just ok. Aside from my dish it was nothing impressive. There are many great restaurants in Cape May that this one can be missed.

Niagara Falls, Canada
“Gotta take the good with the bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Made reservations and were seated immediately upon arrival. Went with 3 others including my 13 year old. Shane was our waiter and he was great. Got us seated and opened two bottles of wine for us and got us waters to drink. The seating is cramped, as seems to be the case for most places in Cape May. I ordered the Jersey Asparagus Amadine with a coronet of puff pastry. It was ok. But the puff pastry was cold and tasteless. It was overwhelmed with almonds. Did not think it was worth the $12.95. My son ordered the 5 Mushroom Ragu with a puff pastry shell( that was a special of the night). He quite enjoyed it. I ordered Canyon Caught Atlantic Swordfish With a champagne crabmeat cream sauce. It arrived a little cold. It was good, but I was looking for great. I felt the sauce overwhelmed the swordfish, The rice was tasteless as were the vegies. Once again not worth the $37.95 price. My son ordered the Baby rack of Lamb With a french country pinot noir demi-glace and truffle butter mashed potatoes. He said that is was the best lamb he has ever had. He enjoyed trying the foie gras and the truffle mashed potatoes. He used the word "exceptional" to sum his meal up. My brother had the Blackened Prime Rib Coated in sing's (the chef) spices, applewood roasted, pan-blackened, served with mashed potatoes and fresh corn chili. It was a massive cut that had a large amount of time invested in cooking it. It was good and the meat had a rich taste to it, I think the price of $48.95 was bit steep but as I said the cut was huge. His Girlfriend just ordered two appetizers for dinner and she seemed to be happy with them. A piece of Key Lime Pie was ordered by the table to share. Although I did not try it. My son was not impressed. He said the filling was a sorbet and was sour. Overall I felt it was over priced. We had two appetizers and two entrees and one soda. Our bill came to about $150.00 with Tax and tip. I think next time I might try their sister restaurant Fresco's. It was a great dining experience for my 13 year old. And our waiter was outstanding. Thanks Shane. A one time try for us.

TR, NJ
“Very disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was not our first dining experience at 410 Bank St. It will surly be some time before we decided to return. We had 6:00pm reservations, a party of three. We followed the hostess to the porch where she wanted to seat us at a corner table, we quickly put a stop to that because the restaurant was empty at the time. Two of us ordered the Crab Terrine, Crabmeat, Avacado, and Fresh Tomatoes $15.95....There was a level tablespoon of crabmeat, to much avacado, and tomatoes that were not fresh.
At 15.95 this appitizer should have come out looking like a picture perfect plate and a portion worthy of that price. We told the server of our disappointement, she said she would report it to the manager. We also ordered the Voodoo Shrimp, Chilean Sea Bass and the Baby Rack of Lamb....The lamb chops were so thin they only had one side (joke).......The shrimp and the sea bass were good portions and tasty. The server was pleasant and service was good. It was a hit and miss night at 410 Bank St., we will certainly look for somewhere else to dine come the Christmas Holiday Season.

“Overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Most dishes came out inconsistent in temperature, the prices were a bit outrageous. For the amount I money you spend you should expect a flawless meal. Dishes were over complicated and seemed to try way to hard to impress.