“Would definitely recommend”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This was a nice little restaurant in Cape May. The food was excellent; service was attentive. Dinner for four, no wine, was $85 before tip. Not cheap by any standard, but nothing is in Cape May except for maybe Tommy's Hot Dogs. We ended up here because the wait at The Lobster House was 2 1/2 hours (they don't take reservations). We were a little disappointed that we weren't getting lobster, but not for long. Each item ordered was done to perfection. One of our group's Veal Parmigiana and sauce was excellent; I wanted simple so I went with the penne pasta and was quite pleased as well. The dishes come with no side salad or vegetable but there is fresh bread served upon seating. Linen tablecloths, soft lighting, nice atmosphere. The appearance is an upscale restaurant, the prices mimic an upscale restaurant without the stuffiness of one.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I have been coming to Godmothers for more than 25 years. The meals used to be so amazing....the salad with house dressing and fresh ground pepper that used to be a part of the meal, (and is now an appetizer at an extra fee ) assorted breads in the basket ( not anymore ) , the fresh pastas.... and great desserts. Always a treat we looked forward to on our summer vacation.
But the last few times we have visited, it just seems like the food quality is slipping.
At dinner last week I ordered my usual, Seafood Fra Diavolo. I requested Linguine pasta. I was told that was not an option. So I chose Angel Hair.
When the server brought out my dinner she announced , who ordered the clams and spaghetti with marinara ? I said, I ordered Seafood Fra Diavolo. She said, oh sorry, that's what this is.
Well it may have had the shellfish of a Seafood combo, but it was spaghetti, not angel hair. And if that was Fra Diavolo sauce, then someone forgot the spices. So, I could send the meal back, and disrupt the timing of the meal with my husband, or just keep it, which i chose to do.
It wasn't that it was a bad meal. It just wasn't what I ordered. My husband had the lasagna. Again it was OK, but nothing special. Something is just missing from the meals. After 25 + years maybe they have run their course at Godmothers. With so many restaurants to choose from in Cape May it seems silly to settle for an average spaghetti dinner rather than the amazing pasta they used to prepare. Sadly , this may have been our last year to eat there. The end to a vacation tradition..... and that's too bad.

1  Thank cindyseipp
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The food here is wonderful, love the sauce! Service is attentive and friendly. It's a bit pricy but they do have an early seating special.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

my husband and I use to come to Cape May yearly about 24 years ago. Godmother's was our #1 favorite. Not sure what happened but the food was just average. 2 out of the 3 meals were not worth the money paid. It use to be a nice, fancy, dress up and have a fantastic Italian meal out. The prices went up, quality went down, people coming in to dine with wrinkled cut offs and t-shirts. I will probably not go back.

1  Thank Linda W
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We go to Cape May every year (and have been for the last 30 years!). Godmothers is always part of the tradition. About 10 years ago we stopped going because of a decrease in the quality of food but that is definitely not the case now! There were 7 of us in our party and, though we had to sit at two different tables (directly across from each other), we had a great time. The food was excellent and we enjoyed everything we ordered.

For those of you who have never been to Godmothers, the restaurant is in a small house. It's an intimate setting but a bit on the tiny side. Nonetheless, it's beautifully laid out and easy to get around. Make sure to make reservations if you want to come to this great restaurant though!