“How did we miss this one??”
Review of The Mad Batter

The Mad Batter
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mad Batter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Description: A Cape May tradition for over 30 years! The nationally acclaimed Mad Batter Restaurant is located at the Carroll Villa Hotel in the heart of the historic district. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and cocktails are served on the European-style front porch, garden terrace, and sky-lit dining room. Breakfast offerings include fresh squeezed juices, homemade fruit breads, and entrees such as crab benedict, oatmeal pancakes, or orange & almond french toast. Lunch entrees include the Maryland crab cake sandwich, fish & chips, and Waldorf chicken, as well as an assortment of salads. Dinner options are always inventive and the seafood is extraordinary. Entrees include award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes, juicy steaks, chicken and fresh fish specials daily. A sumptuous selection of desserts is made daily. The Mad Batter Bar features Happy Hour, 19 beers on tap, a reasonably priced wine list, and a martini list sure to please. Live music and special events are planned throughout the year.
Reviewed May 18, 2009

We, a family of four, went here for dinner. There was a jazz band playing. The leader saw my daughter and played "Baa Baa Black Sheep" for her. We made reservations so we could be seated near the music. We could hear the band, but unfortunately they played at the bar and the view was blocked by a partition. Nonetheless, great entertainment during dinner. We have been traveling to Cape May as a couple and as a family for a total of 20 years and this was the first time we went to the Mad Batter. We should have gone earlier! Surprisingly good food for the adults and typical children's food offered (chicken fingers, fried shrimp, etc.) My husband had a seafood dish and I had a chicken dish, both delicious and cooked perfectly. The total for the four of us was $145 and included a half bottle of wine, which is high but expected in a tourist town. The waitress for the evening was experienced and efficient. We were favorably impressed and went back for breakfast the next morning. The selection was very good and the food was, again, delicious. The only big minus for breakfast was our waiter. Before we ordered he told us that he would be back in a few minutes, which turned into, gosh, at least 20 minutes. People seated after us had alrealy eaten and left. In any case, the breakfast beats all we've tried so far.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,115)

Reviewed May 2, 2009

Stopped in on a Friday afternoon for late lunch and convinced ourselves we needed a bite of dessert, too. The vegetarian sandwich was so great, I can't believe I had room for a bite of the recommended strawberry rhubarb pie, but I did, and it was so wonderful I was craving it the rest of the weekend. Don't miss this treat! The line is long before the morning opening, so plan accordingly. We had beer and wine; not sure if full bar.

Reviewed February 20, 2009

My husband any myself went to back to the Mad Batter after not dining there for quite some time. When we used to go all of the time, We knew the staff and they knew us. I was asking for my favorite server (who hardly was waiting tables last time we were there) but who had been promoted to Asst Manager.
Her name was Rose and she always made us feel so special. When we mentioned her name the whole attitude of the staff changed.
I can't say that I really knew her personally, but she was great. We were interested in having a rehersal party for our daughter's wedding there. Although Rose was fairly new to this part of the job, she gave us the tour, what room would be best for the amount of our guests and also gave us a sample menu. She had said, when the general Manager came in, maybe not that day if I recall correctly, that she would follow through and give us numbers and terms and an event we would never forget.
As is turns out, the general manager Tracy, when we met with her acted as though it was she who had given us information and such (to the owner) and Rose was never mentioned. It was also very obvious that the "General" manager felt some kind of threat from a recently promoted server to Asst Manager. We even heard her say some not so nice things about this woman who had always been attentive and lovely to our whole family. It is funny after all of these years that I still think about how the so called General Manager of the Mad Batter was obviously trying to undermine Rose.
I have since heard (and it HAS been at least 8 years now) that Manager (Tracy) left shortly after Rose and that a the person who is General Manager now was a former employee with Rose at another restaurant that closed down and after a few years had actually come to the Mad Batter to work with her, who wouldn't? She was great with people and seemed to love her job.
Rose, if you are out there at another resturant, we want to come see you! Wish there would be a way to find out where she is currently employed.
Anyway, except for that, except for the prices going up (which is to be expected) the meal was lovely and we enjoyed it very much!
I still give the Mad Batter a big thumbs up!

1  Thank RestaurantLover08
Reviewed December 3, 2008

This is definitly a great place to grab lunch- it is nice yet casual, and the food is great. The crab cakes are my favorite. It has gotten a little more expensive over the past few years since it is more touristy now, but it is worth it. I've never gone for dinner but it seems to me more like a lunch place. There is a cute little garden in the back and the front porch is really nice to eat at in good weather. Don't forget to bring your "map" home with you (you'll see what I mean when you go)!

2  Thank FairfieldWestchester
Reviewed November 16, 2008

The food at the Mad Batter is, in a word- spectacular! This is the restaurant that started the whole Cape May restaurant rennaissance back in the 1970's and it continues to be one of the best. Reviewers from Philadelphia and NYC continue to rave about the Mad Batter and for good reason!

I absolutely love their bayberry wings, the crab cake is so tasty and that clam chowder is wonderful! My wife is partial to the orange french toast and the tandori chicken. We will definately be back to the Batter and I highly encourage you to visit as well.

As good as the food was (and it was excellant), the service was even better. In each of our visits, the waiters have been overly coutreous and helpful. They were friendly and happy to assist us, which was a welcome change from too many of today's restaurants. The owner, Mark Kulkowitz, is a treat to talk with and after 30+ years running the Mad Batter, it really says something that he is still just as passionate as ever.

Have Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner at the Batter and find out for yourself, why I love it so much!

Ben Miller