“A great place to eat an relax.”
Review of The Mad Batter

The Mad Batter
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mad Batter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: International, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Description: A Cape May tradition for over 30 years! The nationally acclaimed Mad Batter Restaurant is located at the Carroll Villa Hotel in the heart of the historic district. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and cocktails are served on the European-style front porch, garden terrace, and sky-lit dining room. Breakfast offerings include fresh squeezed juices, homemade fruit breads, and entrees such as crab benedict, oatmeal pancakes, or orange & almond french toast. Lunch entrees include the Maryland crab cake sandwich, fish & chips, and Waldorf chicken, as well as an assortment of salads. Dinner options are always inventive and the seafood is extraordinary. Entrees include award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes, juicy steaks, chicken and fresh fish specials daily. A sumptuous selection of desserts is made daily. The Mad Batter Bar features Happy Hour, 19 beers on tap, a reasonably priced wine list, and a martini list sure to please. Live music and special events are planned throughout the year.
Murrysville, Pennsylvania
“A great place to eat an relax.”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

There never seemed to be a bad time to go to eat. Wait times were minimal. We had breakfast and dinner here. The portions were very good, more importantly the food was delicious! Service was top notch. Everyone was kind and quick to respond to a request. Would recommend the restaurant to everyone.

• Visited May 2014
Dear Jan B,

We are happy to hear that you think we are a great place to eat and relax. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review. We are glad that you will recommend us to others and we hope to see you again soon.

“Great place! ”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

This past weekend, I enjoyed my second visit to The Mad Batter, and was not disappointed. Last summer I went with a party of 8, including 3 children and were sat inside next to the bar, where it was very hard for conversation as the music was playing directly next to us. The ambiance was great and food was even better, so the noise didn't deter us from returning this year. We were seated outside this time- definitely recommended. My favorite restaurant in Cape May- not too pricey and such an awesome atmosphere. Food selection is great for all types of eaters!

Dear SamanthaS,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us at the Mad Batter. We think that its wonderful that the ambiance and food was great for you and your family. We can't wait for you to come back and visit us!
Cape May, New Jersey
“Overall Great Place To Dine”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

July holiday evening and we took our son and kids to the Mad Batter. They have a great breakfast venue including a porch right in the middle of the Victorian District. We went for dinner which offered full course meals as well as sandwiches. I ordered a Turkey Burger and must say it was the best I have ever eaten. It looked liked a beef burger when served with lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions on a delicious, lightly salted "pretzel" roll. It offered many different cheese options and I chose the blue cheese-delicious. The fries were tasty but not quite hot enough. The restaurant offers a full bar menu and I know you will enjoy a family out at the Mad Batter!

• Visited July 2014
Dear drob0217,

Thank you for writing a review about us. We are happy you enjoyed your food. We try to accommodate all of our customers and that is why we offer so many different varieties of food items on our menu. We hope to see you again soon!
Stewartsville, New Jersey
“Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My family and I have enjoyed dining at the Mad Batter for many years. I believe one of the most important things that makes a great restaurant is consistency, and the Mad Batter has always satisfied.
On our most recent visit we had a mix of breakfast (served until 3:00pm) and lunch while sitting outside on the front porch. I ordered one of the specials "Lobster Eggs Benedict". Very well prepared with a thick slice of fresh grilled tomato on the traditional english muffin layered with lobster and a perfectly cooked poached egg topped with hollandaise. My wife enjoyed a very generous omelette with a fresh squeezed mango, guava and orange juice combo. My daughters were also both very pleased; one with pancakes and bacon and the other with a blackened chicken panini with aoli sauce. I can also recommend the dinner menu as I had a superbly prepared scallop risotto on a previous visit. They also offer a full bar and live music.
Our server was attentive and proffesional as well.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jcstu
Rangers1, Manager at The Mad Batter, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Jcstu,

We are very happy to hear that everyone in your family enjoyed their meal. It's nice that they could order either breakfast or lunch. We hope when you visit Cape May again you come back and visit us.
Hackensack, New Jersey
“Bad timing?”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I visit Cape May every Summer and had never eaten at the Mad Batter. I know it is known for brunch and in the Summer it appears to always be packed. My family visited Cape May for Thanksgiving in Nov. and we went to the Mad Batter the evening after T-Giving for dinner. First, entering the restaurant was discouraging. Junky and dirty -- we almost tripped over all the junk on the front porch trying to make our way into the restaurant. We were seated in the cold back room. The waitress was rude and impatient and the food was not good. I had a seafood dish that looked and tasted like banquet fare. My son had the worst pizza ever. Also, there was a large and obnoxious party next to us. They kept yelling and knocking into our chairs. Overall, it was not a good experience. I was disappointed because I was really looking forward the evening and I was embarrassed since I was the one to suggest it as our special family vacation dinner.

• Visited November 2013
Rangers1, Manager at The Mad Batter, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear jenerationnyc123,

We are sorry that you had a bad experience with us. Our goal is to make sure that customers leave happy. When you dined with us in back in November, you should of mentioned the service and the food to the manager on duty. We would of tried to correct the situation that night. Maybe you can join us another time.