“Our favorite restaurant”
Review of The Mad Batter

The Mad Batter
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mad Batter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 141 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Description: A Cape May tradition for over 30 years! The nationally acclaimed Mad Batter Restaurant is located at the Carroll Villa Hotel in the heart of the historic district. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and cocktails are served on the European-style front porch, garden terrace, and sky-lit dining room. Breakfast offerings include fresh squeezed juices, homemade fruit breads, and entrees such as crab benedict, oatmeal pancakes, or orange & almond french toast. Lunch entrees include the Maryland crab cake sandwich, fish & chips, and Waldorf chicken, as well as an assortment of salads. Dinner options are always inventive and the seafood is extraordinary. Entrees include award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes, juicy steaks, chicken and fresh fish specials daily. A sumptuous selection of desserts is made daily. The Mad Batter Bar features Happy Hour, 19 beers on tap, a reasonably priced wine list, and a martini list sure to please. Live music and special events are planned throughout the year.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We've vacationed in Cape May three times and this has become our go-to restaurant for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's just become our favorite. It's family-friendly, too. Over the years, we've probably eaten here a dozen times. We've always had excellent servers, the best we've encountered out of all the restaurants we've eaten at in Cape May. All of them have been friendly & amazingly attentive and efficient. I'll admit, not all the food is excellent - the crab cake isn't very good, and the fries are soggy, but the other dishes more than make up for it. Their clam chowder is amazing - chock full of fresh clams & bacon in a rich and liquidy broth flavored with saffron - the BEST clam chowder I've ever had, anywhere. My favorite dish is the chilean sea bass, which is always perfectly cooked with a crispy, seared exterior & moist, tender interior. The mirin-ginger jasmine rice accompanying it is moist and full of flavor. Their Bayberry wings are fantastic - crispy and served in a spicy honey. The mushroom pizza is thin-crusted and delicious. The fried calamari could use a little more breading, but it's amazingly fresh and tender. At breakfast, our favorite dish is the croustade - scrambled eggs, roasted red pepper and garlic, green onions, sausage and Pepper Jack cheese, served over brioche with Batter Home Fries - you can't stop eating it. The orange & apple juices were fresh-squeezed and delicious. The bacon is high-quality - thick-cut and meaty. I could go on and on, but I'm getting hungry. Oh, and you'll see lots of art hanging up on the walls - it's all for sale, and we've acquired two beautiful and unique mosaic pieces over the years. We love the Mad Batter!

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Quaint restaurant and absolutely delicious food especially the desserts
Friendly staff and means any atmosphere especially if you are on the front porch for breakfast

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We had to wait about 30 mins for brunch on a Monday but it was worth it. The food is yummy and unique and their juices are so fresh it'll make you ask for another. My only complaint is that our waitress was not very personable.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My teens and I went to Sunday Brunch at the Mad Batter. We only waited 20 minutes to be seated. Based on Tripadvisor reviews we expected an outstanding meal. While most of the food was adequate, the crab cake sandwich was disappointing. We were not overly impressed.

The staff here was very nice. The service was slow, but very friendly.

We ate inside in a room that felt cluttered to us, although I can see it's charms if you want an eclectic, Bed & Breakfast feel.

I had the oatmeal pancakes, and they were moist as advertised, but nothing out of the ordinary. My daughter enjoyed her hamburger and said it was the best burger she ate on our trip to the Shore. My son's crab cake was poor; not much flavor or zing.

Mad Batter could be great, but it was just average.

Rangers1, Manager at The Mad Batter, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear 52marv,

Thank you dining with us and writing a review.

We are sorry that you were disappointed in your experience with us. We are happy that you enjoyed our staff. As for the food, we know everyone has different expectations with flavor. We usually get a huge amount of compliments about our crab cake. We apologize that you were disappointed about it. We were excited to hear that your daughter loved her burger!

Hopefully, you and your family will come back and try us again!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We decided to go here for an early dinner after all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. My sons and myself ordered the burgers, while my wife had I think the flank steak. We also ordered the calamari and wings as starters. All of it was great. Everything cooked well. Everything was very tasty. Service was good. I was very thirsty that night and probably had 10 glasses of water alone.

Tip- Don't use OpenTable to look for tables, it was showing fully booked on that site. We called directly and got a table within 30 minutes of when we called and there were plenty of other tables when we got there, but not when we left. :)