“Adequate, but did not live up to expectations”
Review of The Mad Batter

The Mad Batter
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mad Batter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 141 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Description: A Cape May tradition for over 30 years! The nationally acclaimed Mad Batter Restaurant is located at the Carroll Villa Hotel in the heart of the historic district. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and cocktails are served on the European-style front porch, garden terrace, and sky-lit dining room. Breakfast offerings include fresh squeezed juices, homemade fruit breads, and entrees such as crab benedict, oatmeal pancakes, or orange & almond french toast. Lunch entrees include the Maryland crab cake sandwich, fish & chips, and Waldorf chicken, as well as an assortment of salads. Dinner options are always inventive and the seafood is extraordinary. Entrees include award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes, juicy steaks, chicken and fresh fish specials daily. A sumptuous selection of desserts is made daily. The Mad Batter Bar features Happy Hour, 19 beers on tap, a reasonably priced wine list, and a martini list sure to please. Live music and special events are planned throughout the year.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My teens and I went to Sunday Brunch at the Mad Batter. We only waited 20 minutes to be seated. Based on Tripadvisor reviews we expected an outstanding meal. While most of the food was adequate, the crab cake sandwich was disappointing. We were not overly impressed.

The staff here was very nice. The service was slow, but very friendly.

We ate inside in a room that felt cluttered to us, although I can see it's charms if you want an eclectic, Bed & Breakfast feel.

I had the oatmeal pancakes, and they were moist as advertised, but nothing out of the ordinary. My daughter enjoyed her hamburger and said it was the best burger she ate on our trip to the Shore. My son's crab cake was poor; not much flavor or zing.

Mad Batter could be great, but it was just average.

Rangers1, Manager at The Mad Batter, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear 52marv,

Thank you dining with us and writing a review.

We are sorry that you were disappointed in your experience with us. We are happy that you enjoyed our staff. As for the food, we know everyone has different expectations with flavor. We usually get a huge amount of compliments about our crab cake. We apologize that you were disappointed about it. We were excited to hear that your daughter loved her burger!

Hopefully, you and your family will come back and try us again!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We decided to go here for an early dinner after all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. My sons and myself ordered the burgers, while my wife had I think the flank steak. We also ordered the calamari and wings as starters. All of it was great. Everything cooked well. Everything was very tasty. Service was good. I was very thirsty that night and probably had 10 glasses of water alone.

Tip- Don't use OpenTable to look for tables, it was showing fully booked on that site. We called directly and got a table within 30 minutes of when we called and there were plenty of other tables when we got there, but not when we left. :)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our brunch here on the day we departed Cape May. It was worth the wait for a table. The various rooms in the building make the ambiance so interesting. The creative breakfast choices challenged us to make just one selection per person. I particularly like the fresh squeezed juice. The service was quick, thorough and professional.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The pancakes here were very good, studded with blueberries and fluffy. The wait to be seated was about 20 minutes and the wait for our food was on the long side, but I guess that's just a sign of this place's popularity. Our server was quite accommodating. They have a liquor license so if you want a mimosa, which my wife did, they can do that. She had eggs Benedict, which she enjoyed. Kids enjoyed their meals too. Coffee was good, prices a bit on the high side, but its a resort town. Breakfast was being served mostly on the porch the week we were there in late August, which was nice. Very good Cape May breakfast option, especially if you are planning one big breakfast fling.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I always stop here and are never disappointed. Good menu, attentive servers and a great location. Prices are mid range but worth the visit.