“Coast Guard Meet and Greet”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mad Batter

The Mad Batter
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mad Batter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 136 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: Soups, International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Description: A Cape May tradition for over 30 years! The nationally acclaimed Mad Batter Restaurant is located at the Carroll Villa Hotel in the heart of the historic district. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and cocktails are served on the European-style front porch, garden terrace, and sky-lit dining room. Breakfast offerings include fresh squeezed juices, homemade fruit breads, and entrees such as crab benedict, oatmeal pancakes, or orange & almond french toast. Lunch entrees include the Maryland crab cake sandwich, fish & chips, and Waldorf chicken, as well as an assortment of salads. Dinner options are always inventive and the seafood is extraordinary. Entrees include award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes, juicy steaks, chicken and fresh fish specials daily. A sumptuous selection of desserts is made daily. The Mad Batter Bar features Happy Hour, 19 beers on tap, a reasonably priced wine list, and a martini list sure to please. Live music and special events are planned throughout the year.
Bend, Oregon
“Coast Guard Meet and Greet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Owner , Mark, quite a character, very easy to work with! Very obliging . Live music, bar and restaurant.
You can stay here, too!

Visited January 2013

Glenn Dale, MD
“OK But No Great Shakes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We came here for lunch after a bus tour of the town's historic sites. We thought the name was cool.

Unfortunately, it's just a so-so place. The service was good but the food was your average, run-of-the-mill bar/grill food. Hamburgers and sandwiches. Beach prices even in the Fall.

Not horrible. Not great.

Visited October 2012
Hi MDSuburbs!

We hope you had a fun time visiting Cape May!
Thank you for trying us out for lunch!! Sorry, that you weren't overly impressed with our lunch selections! We pride ourselves on our use of fresh ingredients and home-made sauces that we use in all of our dishes!
The Mad Batter has a great happy hour from 3-6 which you should check out next time you're in town!
Hope you have a great winter!
Rutherford, New Jersey
“Good Food; Bad Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I really enjoy the food and atmosphere at this restaurant, however, the last time I was there (December 2012), I was very disappointed with our server. She visibly complained about my table to the other servers because she was not happy that we did not order full dinners. I called her out on her dismay, but our experience had already been ruined.

• Visited December 2012
Hello LucyNJ_07070!
Thank you for your continual patronage to The Mad Batter!
We are sorry that your most recent experience wasn't a more positive one!
What happened was totally unprofessional and unacceptable.
If you would please email manager@madbatter.com we would like to make this right and give you an opportunity to come back and receive the service you deserve!!!
Horsham, Pennsylvania
“Dissapointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our meal took place three weeks ago and I purposely wait before entering a lack luster review. I feel that after a period of time I feel the same way I should write it. When we first arrived the host attempted to seat us at a small table behind a half wall separating us from the noisy bar, we informed him we wanted another table. My wife who had been at the Mad Batter several times for breakfast was familiar with the layout. We were seated in rear in a much better location, our waitress brought our drinks and a bread plate with dry seasoning for us to dip, this was the first time we ever had to mix it ourselves. It was apparently not the custom there as well since the other waitress mixed for the couple next to us. I ordered a seafood bisque which I was told was very heavy cream, which it was but was also very good. My entree was a seafood dish with broiled scallops and shrimp. I shared these with my wife who confirmed without solicitation that they were overcooked. The waitress briefly returned to inquire about our diners then disappeared , my club soda was long empty and I ended up pouring my water into that glass for the benefit of the lemon. The waitress brought our check after coffee and returned moments later for payment. I always tip over the minimum but this time went 15 percent. My wife's diner was fine, She wanted to try diner at the Mad Batter because she and her sister enjoyed breakfast there several times. I just felt that our diner experience was like the shore hustle diner, just get them in and out, which there was no need as there were only three couples eating at that time.

• Visited January 2013
Rangers1, Manager at The Mad Batter, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Hi Squidder! We are sorry that you didn't have a more enjoyable dining experience with us! Hopefully you will give us another try next time your in Cape May!
Take care and enjoy the rest of your winter!
New Jersey
“A real find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had a wonderful meal. My husband had delicious short ribs and I opted for something lighter--linguine puttanesca. Service was very good and we also had musical entertainment on Saturday evening. Was a short walk from our hotel.

• Visited January 2013