“Such potential ... but missed on so many counts ...”
Review of The Mad Batter

The Mad Batter
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mad Batter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: International, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Description: A Cape May tradition for over 30 years! The nationally acclaimed Mad Batter Restaurant is located at the Carroll Villa Hotel in the heart of the historic district. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and cocktails are served on the European-style front porch, garden terrace, and sky-lit dining room. Breakfast offerings include fresh squeezed juices, homemade fruit breads, and entrees such as crab benedict, oatmeal pancakes, or orange & almond french toast. Lunch entrees include the Maryland crab cake sandwich, fish & chips, and Waldorf chicken, as well as an assortment of salads. Dinner options are always inventive and the seafood is extraordinary. Entrees include award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes, juicy steaks, chicken and fresh fish specials daily. A sumptuous selection of desserts is made daily. The Mad Batter Bar features Happy Hour, 19 beers on tap, a reasonably priced wine list, and a martini list sure to please. Live music and special events are planned throughout the year.
Issaquah, Washington
“Such potential ... but missed on so many counts ...”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We had heard from several people how good the Mad Batter was, so we decided to make it our "Sunday Night" dress up dinner.

We arrived and were walked through a lovely area to a back area that is clearly where they put families with children (which we were, so it made sense).

They sat us at a table that was immediately next to the kitchen. There were other empty tables around, and I almost asked to be moved, but at the price point the Mad Batter is, I thought that perhaps they had it worked out so that it would not be an issue.

I was wrong.

First, we were under an air-condition vent. Within minutes of sitting, it dripped on our table and on my husband. We pointed it out to our server who went over an grabbed this mop thingy with a large towel attached to the top. She ran it along the vent to collect the water and said "that should do for now".

As we perused the menu, it became obvious that we were in a truly bad table spot. First, the noise from the kitchen was VERY loud. Far more than one would expect at a nicer restaurant. In addition, the area immediately behind us was the beverage counter as well as the "loading and unloading" zone. Each server would bring down their food and then squeeze behind either my husband or my mom to bring food to the various tables. This happened constantly throughout the meal.

We ordered a variety of items from the crab cakes, to the Skirt steak, to kids meals (each $9) and everything was better than average, but nothing was great. The exception was the skirt steak which was over marinated and salted and very tough.

Towards the end of the meal, when a manager came by and asked how everything was, we all looked at each other and said "it's Ok". She smiled, said good, and walked away.

Now, the important bit to all of this is that the Mad Batter is expensive. Entrees are about $28-$30 and kids meals are $9. Not terrible, but far more than one would expect given the ambiance we encountered.

I have no doubt that if we had sat at another table away from the leaking air conditioner and the through-way, we would have had a far better experience. But that did not happen, so I can only comment on what our experience was. Not good.

Lancaster, PA
“Delicious”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We ate at the Mad Batter on a saturday morning. It was myself, my husband, my 2 year old and a friend. We were told there was a 10 minute wait, but we only waited about 5 minutes. We were seated on their front porch which was beautiful and shaded and just perfect for a breakfast before the beach. We began looking at the menu and honestly all had a dfficult time deciding b/c everything sounded so delicious. We ordered and didn't have to wait long for delivery. Breakfast was unbelievable! We all could not stop raving about how delicious everything was! I had the crab benedict and it was awesome. Succulent lumb crab on an english muffin with the perfect poached egg on top. Just devine. We all left satisfied and talking about how much we loved our breakfast. Def a must do!

1 Thank ach0717
Newfield, NY
“A very nice meal and experience!”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Went to the Mad Batter for breakfast, a very short walk from Beach St. in Cape May, along with wife and two year old son.

We arrived around nine, and were seated within a couple minutes. Very professional hostesses who were prompt and organized.

The place is spilt into (I believe) about four different areas... a front porch, some indoor seating by a bar, and this back terrace by some nice gardens. We were in the back, which was very bright and pleasant.

I ordered the buttermilk pancakes, while wife and little guy both got the oatmeal pancakes. The place was hopping, and I was a bit concerned that little guy would struggle with the wait. Food was very prompt, however, and very, very tasty! Wife called the pancakes the fluffiest she end ever had. Portions were very generous, as I couldn't even finish mine, a rare event for me and pancakes. The apple juice was even a nice surprise, as it was freshly squeezed by the folks there. Very impressive!

Our waitress (Lauren I believe) was great... the type that is professional enough to impress more uppity folks, and down to earth enough to chat with everyone.

We really enjoyed the Mad Batter. Only in Cape May for a few days, but we may return for another meal!

2 Thank TakeMeToManos
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Busy place for a reason”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stopped here for a late lunch as this place gets busy at dinner time. We had fish dinner and crab cake sandwich. Everything was good, but the crab cake was the best tasting that either my wife or I had ever tasted. Yes we shared! We wanted to try breakfast too, but we stayed at a B&B and were well fed in the morning.

Toronto
“Surprisingly delish!”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We had the scallops and the crab cakes for dinner. Amazing. Good wines and great service. Sit in the back for dinner so you enjoy the lovely view of the garden, and the front for breakfast, where the lineup goes down the street!

Visited July 2011