“More Miss than Hit”

Union Park Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Park Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Howard Street
Transit: n/a
Description: Across from the ocean, this elegant dining room serves classic American food with a special touch. Union Park Dining Room received New Jersey Monthly Magazine's 2005 thru 2016 Critics Choice Award as one of the best restaurants in New Jersey. Working his magic behind the scenes, chef John Schatz has overseen the kitchens of some sophisticated eateries in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area, including the former Maureen's in Cape May. The large, spacious dining rooms with their fireplaces, cherry & mahogany furniture & antique fixtures are romance personified. Settle in for a memorable meal. Private dining rooms available from 8 to 42 guests. Banquet Facilities: Located in the historic Hotel Macomber, union park dining room is available for both casual & elegant parties, receptions, special occasion dinners or complete weddings. Our facility can host groups up to 130 people, depending on the type of reception you desire.
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Hit and Miss, More miss than Hit. The cuisine is just so-so as is the service. Iv'e had a good meal there and bad ones but never a great one. I'll go once a season just to see if anything has changed. It's BYOB, There is meter street parking and some on site parking, Over priced for what it is and what you get. The outside porch seating is nice but everything else about the place brings it down, "Food quality, Service, Price and so on"
Make a note, The KOBE Steak they offer is not Real Kobe beef, On the menu it says "KOBE STEAK" When you ask them they will tell you it's an American Version of Kobe beef. Just so you know

1  Thank fooddude22
There are newer reviews for Union Park Dining Room

Reviewed January 6, 2010

While in Cape May for our wedding Jan 1st, we hosted 8 guests at Union Park New Year's Eve in a small private room. It was a 5 course tasting menu. Typically NYE is over-priced, mediocre food & poor service. NOT at Union Park. Every single item that each person selected was beautifully presented, an ample portion, with phenomenal taste - fois gras, lobster, filet mignon, lamb, elk, etc. Not one item was a miss. Service great! Plus BYOB. Don't Miss it!

1  Thank miskyroo9
Reviewed November 3, 2009

One of those rare places where everything clicks into place: food, service, decor.

1  Thank Dagesq
Reviewed November 1, 2009

We had the most incredible wedding reception at Union Park/Hotel Macomber, and we can't stop raving about how perfect everything was - it was exactly what we envisioned in our planning, down to the little details! The location was great - it was so convenient to have the ceremony on the beach and just walk across the street to the reception, without having to worry about transportation. It was also really nice to have almost the entire hotel to ourselves and we (and our guests) all loved the accommodations - especially the private balcony!

As for the food, everyone including us thought it was the best meal we ever had at a wedding - as we knew it would be based on our tasting. The cocktail hour was especially fabulous - we could have spent the entire night at the raw bar! The staff graciously let us extend the reception (into the wee hours) - it made for one unforgettable party!

During the planning phase, Bob was so responsive whenever we had questions, etc. He made it easy to relax at our wedding and enjoy the day because we knew that everything was taken care of - and that is something for which we'll always be grateful. We would recommend Union Park and the Macomber to any couple looking for the ideal wedding location where the emphasis is on all the right things.

1  Thank nadine_and_brian
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I've eaten at Union Park at least a dozen times in the past 2 years. Whenever we have friends visiting, we always go to Union Park for a very special treat, but I also like to go there with just my husband and kids and enjoy the experience. They get everything right here. The ambiance is beautiful -- the dining room is elegant but not stuffy at all, it's nice and quiet but the music sets a pleasant mood. We've been there often enough that we've had each server wait on us more than once so I can say the service is perfectly attentive without being annoying. The kobe burger is outstanding, my son loves the crab cakes, my daughter's favorite is the filet mignon, my husband loves the gazpacho sampler and I also recommend the hangar steak (not on the regular menu but often a special). Last night I noticed they have changed the menu to include winter specials -- wild boar and American bison. I had the bison and it was outstanding. And my absolute favorite thing of all is the dessert sampler, where you get 9 -- yes, 9! -- little desserts on one compartmentalized serving dish. Really, a restaurant that thinks this up deserves the patronage of a dessert-lover like me. The prices are a bit high, but the quality of the food and the overall experience is well worth it. (And you can bring your own wine, which I always do.) Thanks to everybody at Union Park -- you've made every one of my meals there a true pleasure.

1  Thank MJfromNJ