“Skip The Lunch Menu”
Review of Blue Pig Tavern

Blue Pig Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Pig Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Perry Street
Description: The Blue Pig Tavern serves American cuisine-nostalgic, simple and fresh. Executive Chef Jeremy Einhorn has implemented a delicious farm-to-table menu featuring fresh produce, herbs and eggs from our very own Beach Plum Farm, located less than 2 miles from the restaurant! In the warmer months, dine on our wonderful, secluded patio. In the cooler months, cozy up to our magnificent dining room fireplace. The Blue Pig Tavern drives its name from a gambling parlor sited at Congress Hall in the mid 1800's. Earlier still, in the 1700s, Elias Hughes operated a tavern for whalers on this site. It was the first tavern in Cape May.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stopped for lunch, staff was not very friendly & the food was below average to my standard. To their credit I ordered a white mushroom pizza that was lacking seasoning & it appeared to be on a pre-made crust. The fried calamari was was very good but the waiter was not very friendly. I thought it was overpriced for an appetizer & unflavored pizza.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,371)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We recently dined at the Blue Pig twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast. We did not stay at Congress Hall, but at a motel across the street. I have to admit that the place has always intrigued me so I was especially anxious to dine at this historical hotel.
The first meal there was dinner, and we had 8:15 reservations. We arrived at the restaurant at 8:05 and I made my way up to the hostess. Even though there were open tables available I was told that I needed to move off to the side and come back at 8:15. Okay, while I found this a bit odd, I readily admit that I don't know anything about running a restaurant so I figured that there must be a good reason for that. So, we stood in perfect view of the hostess and at 8:30 I went back up to the hostess to inquire about being seated and got the distinct feeling that had I not we would have stood there until I did!
We were seated in a very comfortable, attractive room at a table that was only partially set, meaning only placemats and silver wear (very nice ones btw!) We needed too request napkins.
Next came the bread,which looked great; however we then realized that there were no bread plates on the table. Once again we asked the server and once again she brought them to us.

Our actual waiter then came to the table to read the specials, take drink orders, etc and he was great. Very professional and attentive to us. The meal itself was very good. I started off with the clam chowder, which, while tasty had a strange gelatinous consistency. It was followed by the shrimp and grits, which was a very tasty take on a classic dish. My son started off with guacamole and ships which he enjoyed followed by the meatloaf dish which he enjoyed as well. My wife started with beef barley soup which was good and pappardelle bolognese which was very tasty.
Desserts were average, apple pie and butter scotch creme brulee, all good.

Breakfast the next morning was good, again arriving a bit earlier than out reservations (less than 5 minutes) and made to wait until our appointed time even though there were many open tables available. This meal we sat outside which was very pleasant. The only comment that I have is that the staff seem to be a bit confused and get very easily thrown almost as if they are all newly hired.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Fantastic setting in the main dining room, very atmospheric. Food was some of the best we had in America. Recommend the Swordfish. Suggest you book the day before or turn up later (started to empty after 9pm). After dinner head for a drink across the hall in the Congress Hall bar - on Thursday we were there had a very good guy on the piano playing all the classics. Perfect setting and venue and can't recommend enough in Cape May

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The atmosphere is very nice in this restaurant, the service was painfully slow and while the food tasted good, they must use a lot of salt. I was tasting the salt for hours after my dinner. They boast of their local foods that they get most of their food from a local farm so everything is fresh and organic -- however the salmon entree sounded good -- advertised as Atlantic Salmon,When I asked if it was wild salmon they told me that it was farm raised. That is not local and sustainable as they want you to believe.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We loved breakfast at the Blue Pig. The coffee was great, all our food was fresh, homemade and delicious. It's a such a cool space combining old American charm with hip new bistro. And the cameo of the Blue Pig herself made us true believers. Well recommended, perfect for all ages and we would definitely return.