“Classic Lobster House”

The Lobster House
Ranked #15 of 141 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Reviewed August 15, 2013

If you like brass, polished wood, and views of the marina, this the the place for you. The menu hasn't changed in 40 years but everything is delicious, especially...the lobster!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Yes, it is overwhelmingly filled with folks eager to eat. one stands on line to order, pick up your meal, and find a table on the deck. I suggest you spot a table fast and go to it...avoid week ends, its awfully crowded, and folks can get nasty for a chair or tables. Will take the fun of eating outdoors in lively, fun, family atmosphere. The fish take out is superb and well priced in the store.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We order our food as take out and pick it up in the back. We love to sit by the water on the dock, see the big ships and watch others come in. They have something for everyone. It is our must visit.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have past by the Lobster House many times and were always amazed by the crowds around the restaurant. Make no mistake, on a Summer evening this place is PACKED and finding a parking spot is like finding a needle in a haystack. They do not accept reservations so try to get there early if you can. Larger parties will have a longer wait then couples and small groups.

We ate inside the main part of the restaurant. It has the very familiar atmosphere of an authentic Jersey Shore seafood restaurant. Dim lighting, dark wood paneling, nautical decor, and a great view of the water and boats. It isn't shabby in any way though, the carpet looks new and everything appeared very clean.

Our waitress was very knowledgeable and friendly. Dinner comes with a small loaf of bread that reminded me of an everything bagel. I had clam chowder as an appetizer and crab cakes for my main course. Both were some of the best I have had. My girlfriend had turtle soup and broiled Mako (shark). I sampled both and they were delicious. Its hard to describe the taste of turtle soup but it was somewhat like smokey beef. The deserts look pretty impressive. I was very tempted by "The Milkshake" which is a glass dipped in chocolate filled with chocolate ice cream, almond liqueur, Kahlua, and topped with whipped cream. We ended up getting the Chocolate Mousse "with a splash of rum". Again, absolutely delicious. The mousse was very thick and rich and had a great rum flavor mixed in.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the Cape May area.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The food at this location is really good, try the crab cake paltter. If you're looking to sit outside ("take-out") look for seating first, if you order your food without a seat you may be stuck looking around for a bit. Once you get your table you have to go inside to order food and non-alcoholic drinks, alcoholic drinks are served at the bar near the outdoor seating. After your food order is placed they will call your number over the speaker for it to be picked up at the food window.
Take-out platters range from $6.75-$20.50. If you're dining with little kids their only kid's menu options are flounder, shrimp and chicken fingers.

There is an indoor location and seating on the boat as well, these are "dine-in" areas with a wait staff. I can't say anything about it, we have only used the outdoor area.

There are no baby changing tables in the bathrooms but the bathroom attendants will provide you with a pad to change your little one on the sink counter (yes, there are bathroom attendants).