“Beautiful decor!”

Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Peter Shields Inn quality cuisine bursts with freshness and creativity. The Peter Shields offers a la carte dining along with a four course chef’s tasting menu. Also expect to find weekly menu additions that incorporate fresh and innovative ingredients. The magnificent ocean views are the perfect scenery to celebrate a special occasion or simply enjoy a memorable dining experience. In the summer months, outdoor dining is available on porches overlooking the ocean. The Inn also specializes in both casual & elegant ocean front weddings. For the absolute finest local and seasonal fare, Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is a favorite of residents and visitors to Cape May alike. Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room.
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My wife and I recently ate here. The decor is very nice and romantic. The location is great. The menu is excellent and my wife really enjoyed her meal. My halibut was over done dry. Otherwise, really good. It was crowded and there was an obnoxiously loud group nearby which is always a risk in any restaurant. We agreed we would go back though, it is worth another chance.

1  Thank Brian L
There are newer reviews for Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Like many other high-priced restaurants in Cape May, this one follows the formula of a well thought out menu, fawning service (except when it's not--see further on in this review) and tables too close together. Our appy and main courses were prepared well and presented nicely and we were getting used to the waitress asking how we were enjoying our meals and getting our water glasses refilled when needed. Then one person in our party ordered the cheese plate and selected three different cheeses. Well, the cheese plate was brought out and two of the three cheeses were what was ordered, but the third was not.

Just so happens that my friend knows his cheeses. But when he pointed out the mistake, the waitress insisted he was wrong. To my friend, it was like ordering a yellow-colored cheddar and being brought a white-colored camembert, that's how apparent the mistake was to him, so he asked that the correct cheese be brought to him. With the smile now gone from her face, the waitress called over one of the waiters who proceeded to back her up, telling my friend, in his best french accent, that he was absonutely wrong.

Leaving the cheese plate in front of my friend, both the waiter and waitress disappeared and two minutes later, the chef himself came out to appologize to my friend with the feeble excuse that some lackey did up the cheese plate and besides, the cheese was mislabled. Okay, so they didn't charge for the cheese plate, but that's not the point. For a hundred bucks per meal, you'd think a customer would get a bit more respect . . . especially if he knows what he's talking about.

2  Thank Frank B
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

We went to the Peter Shields Inn to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We were seated immediately. The service couldn't have been better. Complimentary wine was brought to our table. There is no corking fee for our wine. Yes it's BYOB. My tuna was pretty good. My husbands crab cakes were excellent and we loved our salads with fresh Jersey tomatoes. We had no dessert but the tables around us who did seemed to like them. Definitely recommended

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We took a leisurely stroll from our B&B to the restaurant. The menu had a nice selection of dishes. I thoroughly enjoyed the Tuna Tartare appetizer and Seared Scallops entree. My husband and I enjoyed the Chocolate Lava Cake for dessert. They have a pianist providing nice background music throughout the meal. I liked that it was BYO so we could bring the wine we like.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We went for our anniversary. We were looking for a restaurant for a special dinner. The restaurant was perfect. We seated on the enclosed side porch with a wonderful view of the ocean. The server was knowledgeable and attentive. Our food was excellent. We had an excellent experience.