“Excellent food”

Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Peter Shields Inn quality cuisine bursts with freshness and creativity. The Peter Shields offers a la carte dining along with a four course chef’s tasting menu. Also expect to find weekly menu additions that incorporate fresh and innovative ingredients. The magnificent ocean views are the perfect scenery to celebrate a special occasion or simply enjoy a memorable dining experience. In the summer months, outdoor dining is available on porches overlooking the ocean. The Inn also specializes in both casual & elegant ocean front weddings. For the absolute finest local and seasonal fare, Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is a favorite of residents and visitors to Cape May alike. Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room.
New York City, New York
“Excellent food”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The inn looks quite impressive with enormous columns fronting the seaside.
Pleasant dining room with well spaced tables and comfortable seats.
Excellent food,the crab salad appetizer was fresh and tasty.
Main courses of steak and tuna equally good.
Good sorbets.
Only false note was the bread which was below grade.
Service was cavalier bordering on brusk and detracted a bit from the overall stylish atmosphere.
BYO obviously a plus assuming you know where to find a good liquor store.

• Visited September 2013

Southern New Jersey
“Outstanding gourmet experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We dined out quite a bit during our week long stay in Cape May and the Peter Shields Inn was the standout meal of our stay. I had the chef's tasting menu and all I can say is WOW! Each course was amazing from the amuse bouche to the chocolate volcano cake with ice cream. The pan seared scallops with foie gras was to die for and the filet with truffle butter was the best I've ever had. Everyone at our table raved about their selections. If you are looking for a fine dining restaurant in Cape May, you cannot go wrong with the Peter Shields Inn.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Fine Dining in Cape May”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

PSI was a delightful experience. The service and food were excellent. And it's BYOB, so you can grab a fine bottle of wine or two and enjoy the breeze on the patio or the decor inside. One of the best meals I had in Cape May was at PSI. Lovely place for couple or group.

Visited August 2013
New York, New York, United States
“Best in Cape May”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have been to Cape May many times but this restaurant surpassed any I have tried.
The food, ambiance, and service were all superlative. The piano player was wonderful as well. It was great that it was byob and we enjoyed a great bottle of Veuve Clicquot with our dinner. We will definitely return here on our next trip to Cape May.

• Visited August 2013
Northern Virginia
“Best meal we had in Cape May!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My teens and I had a wonderful meal at Peter Shields Restaurant. The setting is elegant and soothing with a lovely view of the ocean. The service is very good and the food was the best of all the good meals we had in Cape May.

My teens and I all had the $40 per person tasting menu. The tasting menu is expensive, but a much better value for the money than ordering off the regular menu and the menus offer similar choices.

For appetizers my daughter had the Summer Corn Soup with Bacon, Crème Fraiche and Fine Herbs. It was good. I had the Market Green Salad with Toasted Hazelnuts, Blueberries, Cherry Tomatoes, Shaved Grana Padano and Hazelnut Vinaigrette, again, good and very tasty. My son had the Cape May Salt Oysters with Champagne Ice and Paddlefish Caviar. The oysters were good, but the Champagne Ice melted before the oysters got to the table.

My daughter's entree was the Milk Fed Veal Tenderloin with Haricot Verts, Crispy Shallots, Morels
and Truffle Potato Puree andTruffle Aioli. She loved the veal, but the real standout were the potatoes. I'm going to try to replicate those at home. I had the Grilled Hanger Steak with Summer Corn Risotto, Swiss Chard and Truffle Aioli. It was delicious. My son had the Florida Grouper with Warm Cherry Tomato & Red Onion “Salad,” Tondo Balsamic, Pesto and Upland Cress. It was perfectly cooked and he enjoyed it.

For desert, we all had the molten chocolate lava cake. My kids adored the cake, but no matter where I have it, I'm not a fan of the texture. I don't fault the restaurant, I just have never liked that dessert.

We will definitely return to the Peter Shields Inn for dinner, we had a wonderful meal!

• Visited August 2013