“Delicious”
Review of Washington Inn

Washington Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Washington Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jefferson
Description: We are currently open Friday and Saturday evenings serving dinner starting at 5 PM. Our Wine Bar opens at 4:30 PM. Our hours are seasonal. Please see our website for details.
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My boyfriend & I went there for restaurant week. We both had ordered the shrimp appetizer with guacamole & tortilla chips. The shrimp were big & meaty with a smoky sauce on them. Tortilla chips were homemade as well as the guacamole with pumpkin seeds in it & it was all so good! We also made an extra order for appetizers on the regular menu. I ordered the crab cake & loved how it had the panko breading & the sauce was perfect. All meat. Delicious. My bf ordered the daily soup which was a tomato soup. I almost took it from him! Loved it! I ordered the seafood cioppino that had large shrimp, some mussels & clams (they were a little small), but the scallops were huge, sweet & meaty. It also consisted of 3 large chunks of fish (tuna, sword & mahi mahi) in a spicy broth with toasted bread. Very good. My bf ordered the meyer's steak & said that it was delicious & cooked perfectly. Not sure if it was because of restaurant week, but it was supposed to come with asparagus. It came with one, but the rest was string beans & were very good so no biggie. He said the mashed potatoes were creamy & one of the best he's had. They have a great wine menu too. Now as for dessert, I had the creme brulee. OMG! THE BEST I've ever had. Nice & browned candied top & the creamiest! My bf had the berry shortcake. Strawberries with 2 biscuits. Little too dry for my liking, but maybe I was just too much into my creme brulee. The service was awesome. Everyone there is so friendly & professional. Two thumbs up for Washington Inn. Next time we go, we would love to try the pork chops.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We own a summer home in Cape May and frequent all of the local eateries on a regular basis. I have eaten at the Washington Inn many times over the last 10 years, and am always surprised and delighted to discover the latest creations, both culinary and atmospherical, that owner Michael Craig and Executive Chef Mimi Woods have concocted for our dining pleasure.Most recently we were lucky enough to get seats at the famous Washington Inn Bar for the Friday night "5 for 5". Imagine 5 special small plate creations, and wines picked from their legendary wine cellar - one of the best in the State - offerd for $5 each. Added to the already outrageous bar menu, no wonder it's almost impossible to get a seat. In a town where BYOB's prevail, the Washington Inn stands head and shoulders above all. Trip Advisor makes no distiction between BYOB's and the few restaurants in Cape May with full service bars and wine cellars in their rankings, so you might be misled into thinking, when reading the reviews and checking the "BEST" roster, that there are better choices. Not so - this is the best, by far, all things considered. Having eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world, in NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Rome, Paris, the Caribbean, etc., I can truthfully say that dishes like the swordfish - prepared in a variety of ways - the cavatelli and lamb, or the halibut, are world class dishes, and this is a world class restaurant. Don't miss it.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

This has been one of our favorites anywhere. Last year we had a bad experience with the waitress (didn't put in our order and blamed it one the kitchen) and a less than stellar entree for my husband. Thought we had to go back and glad we did. We had an excellent meal, good service and bar fare and good service. The atmosphere is very calming...sort of like we are in a lush garden. This is a safe bet for your dinner anytime but esp. For a special evening. A little pricey but worth it.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Dining at The Washington Inn is extraordinary: it makes you hope they forever preserve their winning formula. Charming ambience and superb service set the scene but carefully prepared food is the main attraction. Whether it is the quality & freshness or the attention to delightful combinations and punched up flavor that make it a five star experience, it's a toss up. This is restaurant heaven.

The Grouper on the Plancha (special) is highly recommended!

Reviewed May 31, 2014

My wife and I had a very nice upscale dinner at the Washington Inn. She had the grilled pork chop, which had a unique molasses sauce. I tried some and it was unique and very good. It seems to be one of their signature dishes, a lot of other people also ordered it. I had the cioppino (seafood stew), which was also excellent. Most entrees were priced around $30. We also had the braised lamb cavatelli appetizer for $15 which was excellent.

A lot of Cape May restaurants are BYOB, and will serve your wine free of charge. We often take advantage of that, but Washington Inn charges a $20 corkage fee.

Parking can be difficult at times in downtown Cape May, but Washington Inn offered free valet parking, which was handy since we went on a rainy evening.

1  Thank chalieL