“Special Occasion and Special Experience”
Review of Ebbitt Room

Ebbitt Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Ebbitt Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 138 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Carpenter's & Beach Drive
Description: Dine at Cape May’s Favorite Seaside Restaurant - Rediscover the newly renovated and re-imagined the Ebbitt Room restaurant located in the heart of the historic district in Cape May. Executive Chef Anthony Micari hones a Farm-to-Table, Farm-to-Glass philosophy featuring the freshest ingredients from our very own Beach Plum Farm. Be delighted by a dining experience where artisanal cocktails, farm-fresh classic American cuisine and a sophisticated, yet casual vibe create the perfect setting for a new Cape May tradition.
New Jersey
“Special Occasion and Special Experience”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We celebrated our wedding anniv. with our good special friends. The four of us enjoyed the total experience. Recent renovations very impressive. All staff very pleasant. Our waiter Vince was special too: attentive, patient, not intrusive, sense of humor in our "give and take" exchange. Recommend the Devil Eggs appetizer! We ordered two dishes to share; three eggs each dish with special Chef toppings. My buddy and I both had the Steak & Cake with truffle fries, and a side dish of truffle macaroni and cheese. Enjoyed immensely. The Ladies both had the Flounder. Though having reservations, would recommend arriving early (There is valet park.) and enjoying a drink on the front porch or lounge area prior to being seated for dinner. Desserts look inviting, but stay with an Irish Coffee.

Cherry Hill, NJ
“Stylish Dining at Cape May's Ebbitt's Room”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Shoes over sandals for our meal at the upscale, recently renovated Ebbitts Room in the Virginia Hotel in Cape May (NJ). We shared tuna tartar and a lightly seasoned calamari which began the meal with high promise of things to come. My bride chose the local flounder–nicely breaded and seasoned and not swimming in butter and I was again seduced by duck and was not disappointed with numerous medium rare medallions accompanied by tasty local vegetables. Cost was about as expected for a fine dinner though the wines were pricey (none listed from any of the nearby Cape May wineries–which says something of development there) at $11/per for imported Sauvignon Blanc and Malbec. A large party and a dissonant jazz piano cut into our conversation.

pittsburgh, pa
“poor customer service”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've been to this restaurant many times over the years and I've always thought it to be one of the best restaurants in Cape May. However, I do agree that the customer service is weak. I had the tuna tartare--note that nothing on the menu indicates that it is spicy--and it was so spicy that I could only eat a few bites. I told the bartender but no apology or offer to replace it was given; thus, I paid for something that I did not eat, not because it didn't appeal to me but because it was far too spicy--this was validated by other diners who had had the dish before. Further, when I contacted the manager, he was mildly apologetic but his apology was laden with excuses. I guess that they're not concerned about losing customers because there's always another tourist to count on, but this regular customer will not return.

1 Thank guapagirl17
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
“Week off”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Sean and the staff were so attentive and helpful. The dinner was wonderful. Deviled eggs without compare., Ambiance and attentiveness beyond reproach. We were not rushed, and enjoyed every moment of the experience.

Visited June 2013
Califon, NJ
“Horrible Customer Service”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We just returned from our first trip to Cape May and will never return to the Ebbitt Room.

We were there as a surprise for my husbands birthday. I was very excited for the farm to table service and since it was Restaurant week I made a reservation directly off the restaurant week website. Nowhere did it state that we needed "special reservations" for the restaurant week menu, which was basically just a shortened version of the regular menu for a discounted price. The hostess seated us with the regular menu and when I asked our waitress for the restaurant week menu I was told that if I did not make a specific reservation then I was not entitled to the special but she would ask her manager. Keep in mind I made the reservation directly from the actual restaurant week website! The waitress returned and said the manager told her that there were only a limited number of reservations and we were not one of them.

The most upsetting thing throughout this whole experience was that the manager never came out to talk to us or even try to make us happy. We could tell the waitress was uncomfortable relaying the bad news. I did not appreciate how the manager treated the service staff. This nonsense was the management's policy so it really should have been the manager's responsibility to speak to us directly rather than dumping on the poor waitress. Shame on the Ebbitt Room management!

My husband was ready to walk out, but I insisted he stay and try the food since it was our last night in town. We ordered the same thing that we would have got off the restaurant week menu (gnocchi, flounder and pork), because it was on the regular menu as well! There is no reason why we could not have gotten the special menu other then the Ebbitt room having a stupid policy and horrible customer service. The food was good, but a bit overpriced (even for a vacation town). The manager, however, has to work on the concept of a "service based industry" and loyalty to the employees.

When we returned to our B&B, the innkeepers asked how our dinner was and we explained our experience. They have gone to "restaurant week" every year and never heard of an issue like ours before, which further confirmed the ridiculousness of the Ebbitt Room management. Our innkeeper actually phoned up the Ebbitt Room manager to discuss and got the same run around; she basically ended the conversation promising to never recommend the Ebbitt Room to any of her guests again.

2 Thank Christina W