“very glad we went”
Review of Ebbitt Room

Ebbitt Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Ebbitt Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Carpenter's & Beach Drive
Description: Dine at Cape May’s Favorite Seaside Restaurant - Rediscover the newly renovated and re-imagined the Ebbitt Room restaurant located in the heart of the historic district in Cape May. Executive Chef Anthony Micari hones a Farm-to-Table, Farm-to-Glass philosophy featuring the freshest ingredients from our very own Beach Plum Farm. Be delighted by a dining experience where artisanal cocktails, farm-fresh classic American cuisine and a sophisticated, yet casual vibe create the perfect setting for a new Cape May tradition.
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Used to be our most special place, was not happy with last visit about 2 years ago. Decided to stop in to see the renovations they have made. Opened up the room by knocking down a wall and adding a nice bar (only had a service bar before). Sat at the bar for a drink and ordered some food. First of all, the service has always been outstanding and this has not changed, even sitting at the bar. Ahi tartare, calamari, lobster roll, and fish and chips all very very good. Properly made drinks (not all bartenders are created equal, see next review for rusty nail) and outstanding bar service have us wanting to return soon.

1  Thank chefshep33

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Great atmosphere, very romantic, very knowledgeable staff (wines), great cocktail menu, wonderful food. Pricey, but worth every penny.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

We went to the Ebbitt Room on the first night of our Labor Day getaway! We probably should've dined here last because this restaurant was by far the best of the weekend. We opted to sit in the outside garden, it was so beautiful and romantic. We shared an incredible cabernet, had the ribeye for 2 (yes it's worth the splurge!) and I will honestly say that the sweetbreads were possibly the best prepared sweetbread's I've ever had! This chef knows what he's doing, he understands the subtle nuances of flavors and textures...this restaurant is hands down NYC quality! From the valet to the hostess to the waitstaff to the chef everything was perfect and it was a wonderful evening.

1  Thank gremlin608
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We went to the Ebbitt Room recently to celebrate a special occasion. It was our "fancypants" dinner, and as such, we knew it would be expensive. But when the check came, the final total exceeded even our expectations!

However, there were many good points: for one thing, we didn't wait one second to be seated, and we were given the option of dining outside or in. We chose outside, as it was a beautiful evening - their courtyard is quite magical.

The service was, as would be expected at that level of facility, superb and unobtrusive. Just right. The food was delightful for the most part - especially the Ebbitt Room Crab Salad (my appetizer) and a filet called "The Turf" that was my husband's main course. He let me sample some, and it was truly spectacular. For my own main course, I had a pan-seared halibut that was on the specials menu - the halibut was good, but the sauce was WAY too heavy. However, I was amazed to find out that the head chef was in New York taping a feature on the Today show, and it was a 20-year-old sous chef manning the kitchen! All in all, he did a great job!

After dinner, we went inside to have a few drinks at the bar. Our bartender was Leo, and he was phenomenal - made me a perfect mojito (lightened up on the simple syrup when I told him I didn't like them too sweet) and put together several complicated, multi-step specialty cocktails for my husband. Again, though, it was extremely pricey. Personally, I think $65 is a bit much for 2 mojitos and 3 cocktails, even with a tip!

Bottom line: I'd go there again if I won the lottery and didn't have to worry about money, but next time, I'll shop around and see what else is out there.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We go to Cape May three times a year and we always make it a point to have several meals at this fine, gourmet establishment in the Virginia Hotel. Give yourself a treat!