“Even guys can enjoy drinking tea!”

The Carriage House Cafe & Tearoom
Ranked #85 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Carriage House Cafe & Tearoom is open for lunch and afternoon tea and features traditional four course tea lunch as well as a la carte items. Seating inside the 1876 Carriage House and on the patio under the tent. Open April through October. The Carriage House Cafe & Tearoom is accessible and offers a children's menu. It is available for private parties and events.
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My wife and I along with another couple went to the Carriage House Tea Room at the Physick Estate in Cape May, NJ. Actually the wives arranged it, but my friend and I are glad they did. It is located in an old carriage house which is also a museum of Cape May history that is quite entertaining. A tour of the estate itself is definitely on my list of things to do in the future, but we did not have time that day. The dining experience was fantastic, aided by a waitstaff that is not only friendly but knowledgeable of Cape May history. An assortment of scones, sweetbreads, and cakes arrives at your table along with your choice of teas. There are many to choose from, and each person gets their own rather large pot. The menu choices encompass everything from tea sandwiches to quiche to wraps and panninis. Homemade soup or salad come with your selection. We each got something different and all of us were more than pleased with our selection. The portions were large. Desert was included and once again was great. Pricing was a little high at $20 per person, but the experience was more than worth it. A great thing to do with your wife or friends.

Reviewed August 29, 2009

Wу went to Cape May on August, 27. It was around 5 p.m. and there was a sign closed. There were 2 other women who came and were sitted so I ask the server if the tearoom was closed as the sign told it was. she looked at the sign, laughed and told me: yes, we are closed. Didn't give me any reason why or idea when they are going to open again. I left and ate somewhere else. I was waiting to visit Cape May to go there but left dissapointed with their service.

Reviewed April 4, 2008

Having tea in the former stables of the Physick Estate is a staple of our visits to Cape May. Even my shorts-and-sweatshirt sports-loving husband loves it (esp. the carrot raisin and pistachio breads). In fact, he was the one who suggested going there again during our visit a week ago and we took some of the carrot raisin bread home at his request. Some people dress up a bit, but we ride our beach bikes to tea and feel right at home in our windblown state. Yes, the tea is prepared using teabags, but the food is authentic and v. nice for those who enjoy afternoon tea, plentiful enough for the hungry, and varied enough for those who just want to stop by this unique place for lunch. The gift shop is small but darling with plenty of things for tea lovers, and they always have an exhibit adjoining the tea room for those who want to combine history with food. A visit here is always a pleasure and something a little different in this town where restaurant experiences can run together.

Reviewed August 11, 2006

For a town that prides itself on being authentically Victorian, Cape May has a surprising dearth of places that serve formal teas. Some of the Bed & Breakfast inns offer self-service afternoon teas, with hot water in plastic carafes, some tea bags on the side, and a few stale pastries. So, when compared to those, Twinings Tea Room is pretty good. However, it's certainly not to be compared with an elegant formal tea in any of the big hotels N.Y., Philly, northern NJ, or even Charleston, SC. Twinings is okay, but the special touches just aren't there: the tea is served in bags rather than loose, the sugar is in packets rather than cubed---that kind of thing. The service was friendly. The atmosphere was fine, but nothing elegant.

Overall, the Twinings Tearoom was fine, but don't expect a formal, elegant tea service. That's been my one disappointment while living in Cape May.

2  Thank misterdarcy