“A true gem in Cape May”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
931 Beach Guest House
Pennsylvania
“A true gem in Cape May”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the 931 Beach Guest House in August and September of this year. I decided to stay here after reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor, and had such a great experience at 931 Beach, that I decided I must also write a review.

Our first trip was in mid August. I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding at Congress Hall. I took a lot of time to research other inns and the many bed & breakfasts of Cape May, only to find very mixed feedback, and a 3 night minimum policy. Since we only needed (and could really only afford) a 2 night stay, I had a lot of trouble finding a nice place to stay. Unfortunately I am pretty picky about hotels and was not about to stay in one of the crappy run down motor lodges that are all over Cape May.

I think there was some sort of mix up with the room we reserved, and happened to be upgraded to the Nautilus room when we arrived. What a cute little room. It was a good size and had a nice clean bathroom. It looked a bit different from the pics online. This was one of the rooms that had recently been updated, so the decor had changed a bit, but still just as charming as the "old look" online.

Our next stay was over Labor Day weekend. We had to come back to Cape May for another wedding at the Grand. Marianne was nice enough to let us crash there just for the night so that we did not have to drive home after the wedding. She was so helpful and accomodating. We were running late for the wedding after getting stuck in awful Labor Day weekend beach traffic, and she helped us get up to our room within seconds so we could quickly get showered, dressed and back out the door.

This time we were in the Bay Meadow room, which I think might be the smallest room, but it was still more than enough space, and again, very very cute and clean. The pictures online were a very accurate representation of this room. You can take a look at my own pics I took of this room but my camera is not the best. While we did not have time to use the kitchenettes in the rooms, I did take a peak inside the cupboards: Well appointed, clean dishes and utensils, good quality stuff in there, that looked brand new or hardly used.

We really regret that we were so busy rushing around during our stays and were not able to get to the beach or relax at all. We would have loved to stay longer and take advantage of the wonderful things this newly renovated house had to offer, like the sprawling front porch with the beachy wicker furniture and hammock. The interior common areas of the house were immaculate and had that sophisticated beachy atmosphere down to a tee.

The rooms here were a little more pricey compared to others in Cape May at comparable Inn-like accommodations, but you pay for what you get, and of course the prices are going to be jacked up during the high season. You just cant beat the location of this place either. Right along the beach in the middle of everything, and a short walk to the outdoor mall....it doesn't get any better. If you are trying to get more bang for your buck, I would recommend staying here during the off-season. My husband and I are considering a longer stay in the future, during a cheaper time of the year. There is not much parking in the rear of the house, but at least it is there. A lot of these kinds of places in Cape May don't even have an off-street parking lot.

All in all, this place is a true gem. It stands out among the other houses on Beach Avenue. People strolling along the boardwalk stop to snap pictures of the place because it is so unique and striking. If you are planning a trip to Cape May, I say dish out the extra dough and stay here. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Scranton, PA
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I have traveled extensively and stayed in many 5 star resorts. Nothing compared to my stay at 931. My boyfriend and I planned a romantic weekend in Cape May for my birthday and I cried when it was time to go home. It was so quiet and peaceful and our view from our room was breathtaking. We walked all weekend and had no need to move the car once it was parked. I believe that we may have been the only guests for a small portion of our trip, and we barely heard a sound in the house. It was wonderful to be able to come and go when we wanted to, it almost made us feel like we were at home. The owner was a wonderful woman. She was very kind and took the time to get to know us. My boyfriend left his pants behind in the closet and she phoned us as soon as she found them and mailed them home for him. Unfortunately we can't return in May this year, but we will return this year. It is too wonderful to miss.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mkgscranton
Vestal, NY
Reviewed July 31, 2008

My family has a yearly Cape May getaway every fall for the women in our family. 931 Beach has been our spot for the last four years. We love everyminute of it! Relaxing on the porch with wine is the best part. We rent out two rooms, two of the largest they have and fit 8 people. We all just love this Inn and would recommend it highly to anyone.

• Liked — The relaxing atmosphere and stylish decor- very modern
  • Disliked — No pool, but thats typical for an Inn
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Reanbeans
Gwynedd Valley
Reviewed January 14, 2008

Stayed in several different rooms for several long wkds at 931. The high ceiling spotless rooms are decorated 'coastal living' magstyle, have excellent beds, wonderful little kitchens, & gorgeous white bathrooms. Beach and walkway right outfront; good people watching from porch; good off street parking; 2 blk proximity to bike, adorable arcade, coffee, cafes, boogieboards. Outdoor shower and they have beach chairs you can borrow.

True no room service or maid service, but you don't need them. Rooms are stocked w/ extra linens/towels. The Innkeepers extremely accomodating and available. Scoot up to Avalon Coffee or Zoe's for coffee, come back sit on porch read paper - awesome. Then beach it, rent bikes, walk in town and get some wine, cheese, snacks for kids at the town's little Acme.

No kids, heck, eat out every meal! If you want to economize eat breakfast or lunch in, and splurge on dinner out. Many spots are byo, stop at Colliers Liquor where they rate wine for you. Make reservations on Fri and Sat nights. We love exploring all the way to Sunset Beach. Check out chamber of commerce website for events to tie in with your stay. Cape May is a gorgeous, safe beach town (but lock your bikes just in case!).

Even if you don't like the beach, you can experience it on 931's unbeatable private porch. Plus you can hear the ocean morning, noon and night at this elegant comfy glorious Inn. Go!:)

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank Pinkyapplesniffer
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 14, 2007

We just returned from a wonderful vacation in Cape May, and it was our first visit. What a charming town! We decided on a beach vacation at the last minute and 931 Beach was one of the few properties still available for us to stay for 4 nights.

The best part of this property is the location, which overlooks the beautiful ocean and is literally about 30 yards from the beach. We stayed in a small but very tasteful 1 bedroom, which was very modern, well maintained, and had a wondeful view of the ocean. There was a small kitchenette (with 2 stoves) and a small sink. The TV was tiny, but serviceable.

The negatives -- given that we paid quite a bit for the rental, I was expecting a bit more in terms of the service. There is no maid service, and the property does not offer free beach chairs or body boards (unlike other properties in the area). Meg, the innkeeper, is very nice and warm but she was often unavailable whenever we had questions for her. Even after calling her cell phone, we received no response. If you are looking for a place to stay where there is someone on the premises at all times (in cases of emergencies), this is not the place for you. If I had small children, I would feel a little uncomfortable staying here because there is no one around most of the time, even during normal business hours.

For the same amount of money, you can stay at a bed and breakfast where there is maid service, breakfast, etc. However, if you are simply looking for a very nice room in an excellent location, you will be happy here. I would stay here again, but I would readjust my expectations and not expect the service of a bed and breakfast.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BeautifulCapeMay
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 19, 2007

We decided to go to Cape May last minute for Mother's Day weekend '07, and 931 Beach Guest House was listed on the Cape May tourism website as one of the handful of hotels that allowed children as guests (we had a 22-month-old). To my relief, (we were already en route to Cape May), the inn had an availability for 4 adults-1 child for the one night we needed.

The property is right across the beach and was very beautifully maintained. Our room was actually an apartment with one bedroom with 2 queen beds, with a living/dining room complete with kitchen amenities and sofa pullout if need be. We had a partial view of the ocean but it was close enough that you can hear the waves crashing on the shore. The room overall was clean, comfortable, nicely appointed, and, because we went off-season, the cost was extremely reasonable. Though we didn't need them heat or air conditioning were available. There were also ceiling fans.

Equally lovely was Meg, our host. She was so warm, gracious, welcoming and helpful! She definitely makes an effort to make us feel welcome and if the nice accomodations weren't enough (and they are), we'd want to come back because of her.

• Liked — Quality of rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank geddon22
United States
Reviewed November 8, 2006

I was a little worried after another reviewer stated that children under 8 were not welcomed here. We had made our reservation last year, and the house has recently changed ownership. However, we stayed there again this year and not only were they incredibly welcoming to myself, my 3 young daughters, my husband and my inlaws, but they've also made some amazing improvements to the property! The room we stayed in now has a gigantic flat screen tv and they've added a full size dining table too. This makes it the perfect accommodations for our family for an entire week as we don't want to have to take the kids to restaurants for every meal. Additionally, the new owners are incredibly friendly people and they were extremely accommodating. My daughters adored and were adored by the owner and her family. We couldn't have had a better time!

• Liked — The owners of the house were excellent hosts!
  • Disliked — As usual, the pull out couch wasn't terribly comfortable. We purchased an air mattress to put on top of it.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early for summer reservations!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank StefaniLyn