“Very rigid rules and not accomodating...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
931 Beach Guest House
Reviewed April 27, 2011

So my parents who are in their late 60's wanted to go to the beach so my husband and I decided to take them to Cape May. We wanted to splurge a little and get a place so that they would have a beachview from their room. We booked online the Cove and Bay Meadow combo for 2 nights midweek (April 21st and 22nd). An hour after I booked it, my parents called me to tell me that they would really rather have a room that had two beds vs. just one. So I called the Innkeeper, LiZa, and explained to her my dilemma and asked her whether a pull out bed of some sort could be placed in the Cove since that was the room with the water view and if not, would she allow us to cancel the reservation (keep in mind that I called her one hour after I booked the reservation online). She said that she wasn't sure if she could do that but to not to worry and that she'd call me in the morning as she was already at home without her reservation book and that she was sure we could work something out. No call from LiZa the next morning. I sent her an email and called her and she told me that she'd call me back in a half hour as someone was checking out. No call again. So I emailed and called her yet again. She said she'd call/email me back. After much back and forth and me pleading for either a switch to the room with two beds or allowing us to cancel, she said that we'd have to pay the $75 cancellation fee regardless of the fact that I called her an hour after I booked the reservation. She said the best she could do was switch my parents to a room in the back that had one bed but had a pull out couch. Since we were pretty much maxed on our budget we had no choice but to take that. So what started out as going to Cape May so that my parents could stay at a beach facing room ended up with me and my husband in that room and my parents staying in a tiny room at the back of their property with my dad who is late 60s with a bad back on a sofa bed. Here's the kicker, we were the only ones staying at this place the first night we were there. Would it have killed them to allow my parents to stay in the room with 2 beds?? I even offered to work something out and pay a bit more if she'd allow my parents to switch to the room with two beds but she said that if we wanted that room then we'd have to pay an additional $268 plus taxes per night! The second night (Friday night) did have a few other guests but the room with 2 beds was vacant still. After our stay, I checked our credit card statement and we were charged more than what our bill said. So I emailed them and got a call saying that they owed us but not the full amount they overcharged. After further discussions he admitted that he owed us the full amount that they overcharged but instead of crediting that amount back onto our credit card, he said he would send me a check in the mail and then had the audacity to ask me to write a review on tripadvisor. I really was going to refrain from writing this but since he asked, here it is. You would think that a small business such as this especially during the off season, and considering they charge more than most other Cape May establishments would be a bit more accomodating to their guests but NOPE! Also, enjoy their complimentary breakfast of one kind of bagel and nothing else and their noisy heating/cooling system.

Room Tip: Stay elsehere.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank mskorea98
BeachAvenue, General Manager at 931 Beach Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2011

We at 931 Beach Guest House make every effort to ensure that our patrons have a wonderful and memorable stay. This is evident from the majority of the reviews that have been posted over time on Trip Advisor. Our cancellation policy is simple and clearly stated and applied to all reservations.

931 has 4 rooms that directly face the ocean, 2 have adjoining rooms. This guest booked an ocean facing room and its adjoining room. During this time period all of the ocean facing rooms were booked. These rooms each have one bed per room. We worked with this guest to give them a second room with 2 beds that would fit their budget and accommodate their needs.

Yes we did make an error in this guest's bill in not giving the 5% online booking discount due to changes to the reservation. As the finance manager of the house I thought the appropriate action was to telephone the guest and apologize and send the money back immediately, which was done. I extend a further apology that we didn't have a great enough variety of bagels in addition to the cakes and other breakfast foods we offer as part of our Complimentary Continental Breakfast.

There are newer reviews for 931 Beach Guest House

Reviewed March 11, 2011

We have stayed many places in Cape May over the years, but this is one of the best. This particular trip was our second stay at 931 Beach. This time it was just my aunt, sister, and myself; but previously all of us stayed there with each of our families as well. If you don't mind not being in the center of things, then this is a great location. It's within walking distance to many things central Cape May has to offer, and it's right across from the beach. When next we go to Cape May we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2011

We went with our young daughter (3 years old) and everything was perfect.

The owners made an excellent choice when they hired Liza -- she's the best host you could imagine -- No butting in and trying be too "buddy-buddy" she was simply natural, calm -- entirely herself and wonderful with children. (If you've ever traveled with the under 5 crowd you KNOW how hard it is to find accommodation that accepts, let alone LIKES children.)

P.S. Our favorite fun amenity was the extra wide hammock! All 3 of us could snuggle together and hear the sound of the ocean in the evenings.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TheStevensRigbys
Reviewed February 8, 2011

931 Beach Guest House is the best place to stay on Cape May, no question! My wife and I came here for an anniversary trip and we were absolutely blown away by the quality of the house, the location right on the beach, and the amenities offered to us.

The room was spacious with a comfortable bed and a sliding glass door that led out to a huge balcony overlooking the beach. We ate breakfast out there and had some champagne by moonlight while listening to the waves - you're not going to get that kind of serenity staying in a busy hotel with a tiny balcony.

The house is located near one end of the main beach strip, but is still in walking distance to restaurants and, of course, the water!

I think the best part of this place - besides the fact that it is the most photographed and painted house in all of Cape May for its charm and elegance - is the fact that we had a kitchen with fridge in our room. We were able to buy some snacks and keep our champagne cold along with other beverages during our stay.

I highly recommend this beach house to anyone considering a romantic getaway to Cape May and we'll definitely be back.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FRNK_123
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I would higly recommend staying here. The house was absolutely beautiful and the view of the beach was breath taking. I traveled with my husband and two children and we all had a blast. The rooms were perfect for all of us to fit very comfortably and I have a 6 year old and a 16 year old so it's not often I get to say there was enough space for everyones needs. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank cchris23
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The house and Liza were wonderful. Both my two young boys and my Mom as well as myself enjoyed our time at the Beach house.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Our stay @ 931 Beach Avenue was charming and delightful. The House was Beach Front Property and conventiently located to local shops and restaurants.. Our house was , beautifully decorated , full of plush furniture nice, bedding lovely,kitchenette and beautiful bathroom accessories. All these amendies at a bargain price. Our first and last impression was the love the innkeeper LiZa displayed to us as guest . It was truely an elegant home away from home experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple