“Generally a positive stay, but....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Star

The Star
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Cape May
Cherry Hill, NJ
“Generally a positive stay, but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Room Type: Standard
Rate Paid: $219 per night
Reason For Stay: Leisure

(Reviewers Note: I waffled a bit on this one, deciding between a 4 and a 3. As you can see, the score works out to a 4, but I was very much inclined to deduct an extra point - see my notes at the end why I didn't)

Overall Average Score: 7.9/10

Location - 10/10

You can see the beach, less than a 2 min walk. Directly across the street from Congress Hall, less than 5 min walk from the main shopping/dining area. Hard to find a better location.

Room Design and Condition - 6/10

This is where I really waffled about the point. We were in Room 8, which as other reviewers have noticed is quite small, with a slanted roof (still fine for a party of 2). But the really fun thing is the bathroom, which is across the public fire exit hallway from the room. Yes, you have a locking door on your side, and there is a lock on the bathroom, but the hallway between them is accessible by a closed but unlocked fire exit door. Now, with a little planning and provided robes, this is manageable, but the kicker was no one told us about this when we checked in. A little pre-warning would have been nice (when we checked out, we mentioned that and were told we should have been advised. Personally, I think this should be mentioned at booking if possible).

Other than that, the room was spotlessly clean (I have a new term, AM clean - if you watch Hotel Impossible you will understand). This came just shy of that. And there was a decent amount of storage space for a small room if needed. These kept me from a lower score.

On an odd note, there was a remote in the room for a DVD player. No DVD player. Just a remote.

Room Amenities - 10/10

The bed was a little firm for my tastes and the pillows a tad flat.. Towels were exceptionally good for ai hotel. Sheets and duvet are comfortable and clean. . Bonus points for a decent array of Aveeda toiletries, and included wi-fi (signal strength could have been stronger but speed was good). Good TV channel variety. Also Bonus points for dedicated on-site parking (you will get a hang tag)

Design and Layout - 7/10

There is a nice sitting area on the ground floor. Stairs up to the third floor of the main building are very narrow and may be hard for low mobility individuals to handle. There is no elevator.

Amenities - Non Club - 7.5/10

The Star is actually part of the Cape Hotels group, which also runs Congress Hall across the street. As such, you have access to their amenities, like Fitness room (and I think pool). But they are ..across the street..

Hotel Staff - 8/10

You check in at Congress Hall, and the clerk there was just ok, but everyone else seemed rather friendly. Housekeeping did a very good job.

Dining - 7/10

Like the other amenities, other than a small coffee shop with limited hours, dining options are across the street at Congress Hall. There are several, ranging from casual to fine dining. We had breakfast at the Blue Pig. The food was great as usual and very reasonably priced for Cape May, but they committed the cardinal sin of sitting and forgetting about us. Apparently we were seated in a no longer manned section, until I had to find the hostess and she got someone to cover. Since that person was working a different area, it sometimes took a little longer for her to check on us (she did her best!)

Comments and Notes:

As I noted above, even though my score was in the area of a 4, the fact that there was no forewarning about the limitations of the room, the issues at breakfast, etc had me thinking of awarding a 3. If there was a 3.5 I might have gone there. There were a couple of reasons I did not. First, unless there was something similar in the other building, I think room 8 is the only one with that particular design flaw. And since the vast majority of readers will not be in room 8, the overall hotel should not be dinged for it. The Star has many different styles of rooms, so its really a matter of your experience may vary greatly.

Secondly, the breakfast issue was technically representative of Congress Hall, not the Star specifically, even though they are the same company.

Finally, they offered a Single Night rate that while not cheap, at least was available, and that's always a challenge in Cape May.

About my rating system. Points are awarded on a scale of 1-10, where 7.5 is met expectations. Expectations WILL vary based on brand and location, the Waldorf Astoria will be held to a higher standard than a Springhill Suites.

Room Tip: If possible, ask what room you are being assigned to. If you get #8 be aware of the deficiencies an...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
7 Thank Loonbeam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Summit, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for only one night but would recommend it to anyone visiting. The rooms were small but clean and the bedding and towels were lovely. The complimentary goodies were better than more expensive hotels that I have stayed in and more generous. The blue pig across the road has a great breakfast too.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank r0sie_ie
Haddonfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We recently stayed at The Star to celebrate my MILs birthday. We stayed in one of the Carriage House Suites, which has 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, as well as a small kitchen area (we were able to bring a homemade carrot cake to keep in the fridge). There were 8 of us total: my in-laws stayed in one bedroom, my husband and I stayed in the other bedroom, my toddler stayed in our pack and play in our bedroom, and our other 3 kids (ages 6, 8, and 10) slept on the pull-out sofa in the living area.

The decor is wonderful, very simple and fresh. The linens are plush and the bath products are Aveda. The ocean view from our 3rd floor suite was super, and our balcony included 2 rockers and a double swing.

The price point for this suite, at least at this time of year, was incredible considering the proximity to the beach.

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the mother hotel across the street, Congress Hall, choosing a few items from the gift shop and getting a good latte.

We also visited the hotel's restaurant, Blue Pig Tavern, for brunch before we left. The decor again is delightful and simple. The food was very tasteful.

I will definitely visit this hotel again. Excellent in so many ways!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank AckGirl74
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I've stayed at several B and B's, hotels and motels in Cape May, and have to say that this was one of the nicest places I have stayed. We stayed in the suite, which was really nice. The bathroom was spotless and had been re-done in stainless. It was quiet, lovely and romantic. We brought wine and cheese and they stocked basic kitchen niceties. After visiting Congress Hall the main hotel I was really grateful we stayed at the Star Inn. It was much quieter, with more room amenities. We did hear our upstairs neighbors walking around, but it wasn't terribly bothersome and we appreciated the ability to roll our luggage directly from the parking lot into the room from the ground floor. Beds were large and comfy, and the little patio great.
Note that parking is a bit tricky and at least once we had to go to the other parking lot after returning for dinner.
I love the Star location as it is so close to the quiet end of the beach, but also so close to the pedestrian mall. I want to go back!

Room Tip: Suite ground floor convenient for luggage, but view may be better on second floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I chose Congress Hall (The Star Inn annex) for a weekend getaway. We can't wait to go back for a longer visit! The facility runs seamlessly and the staff is so professional. The food at The Ebbitt Grill and The Blue Pig rival the best of what we have sampled in New York and Philadelphia.

Room Tip: The Star Inn (across the street from Congress Hall) is a cozy annex with access to all the activity...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My family and I are still here while I am writing this review, and our experience has been wonderful. We wanted to get away from the NYC polar vortex so we ventured to southern New Jersey and were happy to see clean,snow free streets...my husband and I traveled with our 11yr old son and his best friend and we rented the 2bedroom/2bathroom cottage from Congress Hall (Congress Hall owns the Star Inn and many other hotels in Cape May)....the cottage is clean, spacious and well appointed with stainless steal refrigerator and stove,pots,plates,wineglasses & utensils. There is also a washer/dryer in one of the closets. it's winter so most businesses are closed for the season but, enough were open for us to have our needs met. We originally planned on staying for 2 nights but kept extending our stay for a total of 5 nights. Since whether prohibited swimming at the outdoor pool at congress the Front desk suggested the WildWood indoor acquatic center to swim which the boys enjoyed. Overall a wonderful break from snowstorms and busy NYC streets.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole B
Mahwah, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We needed to check in a day early for Congress Hall but no rooms were available. They had an efficiently suite available across the street at their Star. We decided to try it and were very happy we did! The efficiency suite had a large King bedroom, nice size living room with a flat screen tv. Very comfortable with a view of the ocean from the second floor. Convenient location, across the street from the ocean and Congress Hall. The bathroom was a little small but overall we really enjoyed this hotel and would go back. Great value!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple