“Expensive. People are allowed to smoke on the close quarter balconies Outside of rooms so beware if you have sensitivity. Room” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Star

and 1 more site!
The Star
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Windsor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Dont think we'll be back since we like to be at the beach later in the day (they close up beach service a liitle before 6 pm. No towels, no chairs available. We can save money staying elsewhere and bringing our own beach gear. Smoking is permitted on the balconies at this hotel. It is close quarters. We also had issue with a smoker outside one of their high end restaurants on the balcony so the smell wafted inside while we were eating.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Carol F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We went to the Star for a quick, mid-week getaway. Overall, stay very pleasant, but there were some things that they could work on. We booked an "ocean-view" room in the Inn, and the view was laughable, Also, if you are going to pay $20 extra per night for an ocean view, the hotel should probably clean the bird poo off the window for you. The rooms at the Inn were a bit odd, very small and we could hear all noises. An extremely small TV placed in the upper corner of the room, we had a good laugh at that. It was also odd that there was no alarm clock or clock at all in our room. The rooms were overall pleasant though, while the staff could use some work.

When we checked in we had to ask lots of questions about the beach, where to park, etc; no information was forthcoming. To top it all off, they gave our room key to the next couple who came in! Good thing no one was changing. Also, thanks to Trip Advisor - asked and received vouchers for the Blue Pig Inn. What's up with that? The front desk service needs to be more consistent. I know that we are staying at the "red-headed step child" of Congress Hall, but I am still paying over $200 a night for the pleasure! On the day of check out, there was someone sleeping (!) at the front desk, and when we asked if we could leave our car there and use the beach after check-out, she said "I think so". We were also told that the front door to the Inn in the evening was "hardly ever locked", but it was locked, and my husband had to go to Congress Hall to get the code for it. But, we took it all in stride, expecting to only be sleeping in our rooms, which is exactly what we did. Beds were very comfortable and shower good too.

Onto Congress Hall. It is very nice, but gets crowded. I have stayed at some very fancy resorts, but the thing that put Congress Hall in the 4 star range was the staff. Honestly, if it weren't for the staff, this place (while beautiful) would be in the "average" range. Although most of the pool and beach staff seemed to be Highschool/College age, they were beyond professional and such a pleasure. They ran up to you as soon as you entered pool area, even though it was very crowded, and did their best to find you a seat. They were not too pushy either about ordering food/drinks, but again were always at the ready and so professional. A hint to CH if they are reading this - NOT everyone at the pool is a guest! Please be more careful about checking room keys! When sitting by the adult pool (nice touch), we heard a very large, loud party talking about where they were staying!! And it wasn't at Congress Hall. Tons of families and kids, but you can hang out by the adult pool and not really be bothered.

The beach was also great, but gets crowded. The beach service is awesome, treat yourself and order lunch to the beach one day, the prices are about what you'd pay in town. You are only allowed to have chairs set up in the "designated" spot for CH. Fine. What ruins it (somewhat) is your fellow guests who act as if they are the only guests in the world and reserve huge groups of chairs early in the morning, deposit some stuff to "claim them" and then go hang out at the pool all day! I realize there is only so much the staff can do, but this is really crazy.

If we did not have the vouchers for the Blue Pig's breakfast, I would not have gone back the 2nd day. Food just OK, I was expecting awesome food based on the reviews. Service is nice though and a pleasant area to sit. Next time I would get coffee/pastries from the shop and sit in the back area of congress hall - very pleasant.

All in all, a nice stay that was really bumped up by the pool and beach staff. They deserve a raise!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IntrepidTraveller05
Belleville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed in the Inn part during a trip to Cape May recently. The room was on the small side, but it was very comfortable and had an ocean view. Its right in the center of town, easy walking distance to all the great restaurants and stores. The room was clean, the staff friendly and helpful- things that we have come to expect from the Cape Resorts Group hotels over our past few trips. While the size of the room might be off putting for a longer stay, it was perfect for the night and the inn was extremely quiet.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amaugust
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I was so pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Star Inn. This was our first trip to Cape May and because we have a baby, we felt that we wanted to stay at a hotel and not a B&B (just in case our little guy was having a "bad day"). After an exhaustive search I felt like the majority of hotels were overpriced and cheesy. When I came across the Star Inn, it looked really promising because (1) it wasn't ridiculously expensive and (2) it offered access to the pool and beach cabanas of the Congress Hotel. I am so glad we chose it! had a spacious bedroom and nice-sized living room with small fridge, sink, etc. The bathroom was a little small but recently renovated. The bed was absolutely amazing (maybe in fact more comfortable than my own bed at home?) The restaurants and shops are very close by (less than 2 minute walk) and the beach is less than 5 minute walk. Having access to the very nice Congress Hotel was great - we liked its restaurant for breakfast, the pool and the beach services (chairs, umbrellas and towels for free - $75 for a cabana for the day if you want it).

My only problem - the woman answering the reservation line wasn't nice or helpful. I accidentally booked online a unit that was in the "motel" which is adults-only (I had seen that other units were "adults only" but the exact unit I selected didn't have "adults only" next to the name). The woman on the phone essentially berated me and then when I asked what she could do for me, she told me that we could switch to an efficiency or lose our deposit (which was the price of the room). Since I didn't want to lose my deposit, I had to go from $129/room a night up to $239/night and the woman said to me, "it's only a little more" (over $100 is a little more?!?). But I did end up going with the efficiency and even booked a second night (which I think went up to $329/night - our little night away turned into a very expensive outing!). She then said she could throw in breakfast - I actually later found out that the package that includes breakfast is actually a few dollars cheaper than if I just booked the room - so no real concession here!

BUT once we actually got to the hotel and checked-in, it made up for the not-so-positive first impression. BUT we had a very nice stay and loved the hotel! Just so you don't think I'm one of those angry online anonymous reviewers, I did let the front desk know about my experience and the very nice lady said to me, "We've had problems with our reservations line and we're working on it".

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I'm just back from a a 3-night stay at the Star Inn's motel section. It is a real find and I hope to return there on future visits to Cape May. It is convenient to the beach and to town. If you are on the second floor with one of the lower numbered rooms (20,21) you can view the ocean from your porch rockers. I had a half hour wait for family and walked over to the mall and browsed some stores. I suggest that you don't arrive early, as my room was ready just a few minutes before 3, even though I let them know I had arrived at 1:30. The bed is extremely comfortable with great linens. The sitting area has room for a few guests to visit, and there is a foldaway bed for a guest. It was surprisingly quiet. I heard nothing from neighbors or the street when windows and door were closed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank sophiawestern
Hampstead, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

We recently stayed at The Star Inn for 4 nights. The room was very small but comfortably appointed. Literally there was just a bed, dresser, 2 end tables and a small path around the bed, however we found a way to tuck our belongings out of the way. We were on the 3rd floor and the ceiling was sloped which made this tiny room seem even smaller (a tall person would not be happy in this room). We were fortunate to have beautiful weather and spent all of our time on the beach. This Inn is part of the Congress Hall Hotel and we had access to all of the hotel amenities. The beach service included chaise lounges, tables, umbrellas and towels at no charge. Food and beverage service on the beach was excellent and well worth the price. The Inn is just steps away from the beach and the Washington St Mall. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sue13_1
Hurffville, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

We have stayed across the street at Congress Hall before; and loved it. This year we stayed at the Star Inn. The rooms are reasonably priced. They are on the small side but very cozy. The one thing I would add is just a tiny mini-fridge so you could keep few drinks or snacks cold. Other than that, this will be our yearly destination for our wedding anniversary.
P.S. The Star Inn is also one block from The Mad Badder. Great Food!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple