“Fun for any age!”

Historic Cold Spring Village
Ranked #13 of 59 things to do in Cape May
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic Cold Spring Village (HCSV) is a open air living history museum that invites all visitors to find meaning, pleasure, relevance, and inspiration in the exploration of southern New Jersey's past. It is a nonprofit, educational museum that is open during the spring-summer season. The centerpiece of the museum is a re-created rural Southern New Jersey town of the "home spun era" set on more than 30 acres. The Village will open for the 2017 season June 27th. We will kick off our special weekend events on June 17th!
Swedesboro, New Jersey, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Fun for any age!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Charming historic setting just out side of the Center of Cape May. well worth the trip..
Great place to walk around but I would take the hourse and wagon ride first. Plenty of volunteers to make you feel welcome. If you get your timimng down right you can even enjoy some 1700's cooking!!

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun for the whole family!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The interpreters were great, especially Sarah, the school mistress! She was very knowledgeable and engaging! She answered lots of questions about the building and education system of the time.

Visited July 2013
Galloway, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Family Fun Day ... Really it was ... for the entire family”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Ok, I begin this by letting all of you know that I have been to the Historic Cold Spring Village before but it had been a while since our last visit. The newspaper ad/story that said they were having a "Family Fun Day" intrigued me and gave us something to do on this Labor Day Saturday that didn't require a long drive (approximately 45 minutes).

For visitors to Atlantic City and other South Jersey destinations, it is really easy to get to this historic site. It is just a few miles off of exit 4 of the Garden State Parkway. As we pulled into the parking lot I was disappointed to see more empty spaces than cars but then that meant we could enjoy more "hands on time" with the crafters and others who were part of the "Family Fun Day."

I excitedly stepped up to the woman selling tickets (the east side entrance) and as she made change I asked her what wonderful adventures my wife, my 28 year old daughter, and I could expect on this perfect afternoon. She looked at me and said "the activities are really just for little children." Well, we almost turned away ... crushed and disappointed but what the heck I had already paid for our tickets so in we went.

The front gate information sharer could not have been more wrong because we found ourselves immersed in a historic journey filled with new discoveries about the lives that were led in South Jersey in the early years of our nation. There were new facts about some unique circumstances here in the Garden State (indentured child labor? never knew that before.) that allowed families to survive and also to discover why so many didn't make it.

And, yes we had some hands on time with the tinsmith ... the corn doll maker ... and others but I will admit this is the perfect setting to provide hands on activities for adults on the so-called "Family Fun Days" because a lot of us who love history would also like to feel a part of history and Historic Cold Spring Village could wave their well tooled wooden magic wand to make it happen. Why not get adults busy in creating our special craft items to take with us? Frankly, kids are not as interested in history as we are so give us a chance.

Our only disappointment was to discover at the end of our walk through the village that the Cold Spring Grange restaurant was only open for lunch ... and I had been holding a menu all afternoon looking forward to their chicken pot pie (Well, I have never had it so I am not sure if it was truly savory. Thankfully, a local directed us to MENZ on Route 47 in Rio Grande where dinner was superb!).

So, ATTENTION HISTORIC COLD SPRING VILLAGE management team! Make sure that your front gate people enthusiastically welcome every visitor encouraging each person regardless of age to come on in and step back into history. Design some locations where adults can use our creative brains so that we bring home something that encourages us to come back again to Historic Cold Spring Village.

We will be back ... but I will admit that since the buildings don't change and since there are no play opportunities for adults that our return will probably not be for more than a year.

Good luck ... you have a great tourist site! And the folks working inside the various home and shops were great educators and story tellers!!

3 Thank ShoretalkDave
PA
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Nice Historical Site”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Finally, at the end of our stay, we visited this site. Nice place to spend a couple of hours walking around. Bakery was excellent. The exhibitioners were very friendly.

1 Thank Yucatan-Admirer
Cornwall on Hudson, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great time and educational”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Took the family on a side trip - break from the beach and was rainy. After some resistance from the family they really enjoyed what they learned. The printing press, woodworking, pottery and book making all very cool.