“Pleasant stay at Albert Stevens Inn”
Review of Albert Stevens Inn

Albert Stevens Inn
Ranked #8 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My group (3 adult females) enjoyed a pleasant stay for 2 nights (May 13 and May 14). The weather was cooperating with clear sky and sun although it was windy both days (I'm glad I had my wool jacket). Jim and Leeanne were gracious hosts who provided Cape May history as well as wonderful breakfasts and afternoon adult beverages with cheese & crackers and other snacks; coffee, tea & water were always available. Jim recommended Tishas Restaurant for dinner which pleased us as the scallops and mahi-mahi were very good.

We occupied the Tower Suite which was clean & comfy; the wifi was flawless and there was plenty of hot water in the updated bathroom. The Inn had off-street parking and was only a few blocks to the ocean and the pedestrian mall. We toured the Emlen Physick Estate and generally walked all over Cape May center.

Room Tip: The Tower Suite was comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Beautifully maintained authentic Victorian decor, close to downtown Cape May, comfortable beds, modern bathroom, and the most hospitable owners imaginable. Jim and Lenanne are welcoming, glad to help with restaurants, directions, suggestions for places to visit. Good freshly-made breakfast and -- added bonus -- afternoon wine, cheese and cookies or other snacks for a social hour and a chance to meet other guests and exchange information. Coffee, tea and bottled water are always available for those who want something at other times. There also bicycles for those who want them. While we were in town, we ate one night at Tisha's -- a white table-cloth restaurant with excellent food and reasonable prices -- and the next night at George's -- a "diner" in decor with excellent Greek food at low prices. Both were Jim's recommendations in response to our descriptions of what we wanted for a restaurant each night.

Room Tip: As we were three women, we choose to stay in the Tower -- an L-shaped room with a king bed and a twi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We come to Cape May every May and wouldn't consider staying anywhere except the Albert Stevens Inn. From the very first time we ever stayed there, and this time included, we were warmly greeted when we arrived. The house is beautifully maintained and the landscaping is georgeous. Our room is always immaculate, cozy, and quiet. If you need any info about where to dine, what's going on in Cape May, etc. Jim is very knowledgeable and helpful. Lenanne's breakfast is always delicious. We have never had a breakfast we didn't enjoy. The bikes they have available for the guests come in handy and we love riding all around Cape May and the surrounding countryside. Relaxing on one of the inviting porch rocking chairs is one of the things we find enjoyable after a bike ride. We are always reluctant to leave our favorite place to get away from it all. Thanks, Jim & Lenanne for another great stay!.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I just returned from three days in Cape May. We stayed at the Albert Stevens Inn for the first time, and we loved it. We know we'll be back. The owners, Lenanne and Jim, make their guests feel very welcome. The Inn's rooms are comfortable, well-equipped and absolutely spotless. A generous breakfast is served on a closed-in porch or in a dining room, and Lenanne's baked goodies are delicious. You can spend an entire morning sitting on the porch, admiring the lovely garden. It is a short walk to the beach or to the Washington Street Mall, but there is some shopping right across the street at West End Garage, filled with the works of local craftsmen. Each afternoon, the hosts lay out snacks and drinks - which just leads to more sitting on the porch and relaxing. The owners are also very helpful with suggestions for where to eat, what to see, and where to go for evening entertainment. All in all, the Albert Stevens is a great place to stay while spending a time in Cape May.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The house itself is stunning, with great landscaping and a wonderful paint job on the outside, and amazing stained glass and detailed wallpaper on the inside. Their breakfast was fine - nothing to write home about. The inn keeper himself (we only met the husband) was friendly and talkative, but a bit too talkative. After a long drive down, we wanted to relax in our room, but we got a 20 minute verbal rundown of everything there is to see and do in Cape May - helpful, but it would have been more helpful if he'd asked us what we were interested in doing first (if anything). The inn also keeps bikes around for the guests, which was very welcome. My husband and I took them out one day and had a beautiful little ride until the end, when the back tire on my bike exploded. Upon further inspection, the tire ruptured in three separate places, just busted at the seams. I am not an especially large woman, and these were dirt bikes. When I came back, the innkeeper was outside talking with guests and he saw us and asked how our ride was. When I replied that, actually, the tire had blown, his response (in front of all the guests) was, "so you broke my bike?" After this initial (and incredibly rude) comment, he backed down, apologized, said it looked like the bike hadn't been serviced since the previous season, etc. But I didn't appreciate the initial comment. I could have fallen off that damn bike when the tire exploded. Anyway, Cape May is nice and this place is well decorated, but I don't think we'll be back.

Room Tip: The Tower is private, a little tricky for tall people because of the sloped ceiling. Shower and bath...
1  Thank RubyTuesday008
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We've been to Cape May several times and there are many options for accomadations. The Albert Stevens Inn and it's proprietors, Jim and Lenanne, will provide all of the hospitality that you could ask for in a Bed & Breakfast experience and more. The Inn is beautifully appointed and maintained, parking is plentiful. The breakfasts are delicious and well presented. The owners are very informative and able to offer suggestions regarding dinner, entertainment, etc. The location is ideal for foot travel ( ie, beach, restaurants, etc) or car (ie, Cape May - Lewes ferry, or airport). Highly recommended, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I just returned home from the most relaxing 3 day getaway I could have asked for. I have been to Cape May but never stayed overnight. This was my very first stay in a Bed & Breakfast. To be honest, I did walk thru the door with an open mind but did have my reservations. Let me tell you, not only did this experience far surpass my expectations...I am already planning to go back. The Albert Stevens Inn is absolutely immaculate, our room was cozy and quite. The landscaping was immaculate and serene. However, the most oustanding part of my trip was the hospitality of the owners, Jim and Lenanne. They run this B&B because it is what they love to do...it is not a job for them. They genuinely care about every single person that walks thru their door. Jim's knowledge about Cape May really helped us plan our dinners, day trips, etc. You just don't find that kind of service. I will really miss their friendly morning greetings, awesome homemade cookies, and out of this world breakfasts. This Bed & Breakfast is in the heart of Cape May. We never moved the car...we walked everywhere. I also enjoyed the complimentary bikes. Highly recommended for anyone who needs to just getaway from it all!!