Just got back from the Periwinkle. We had an opportunity to book a late summer vacation as our children start school later in the month. Rooms were dirty and smelly. Housekeeping didn't arrive until late in the day and spent all of 30 minutes in our suite - and it showed. Not much vacuuming, bathrooms only wiped down. Carpet was filthy. Rooms were very small and tight - couch was TERRIBLY uncomfortable - all of the furniture was uncomfortable. So, after we put the kids to bed, sitting up watching TV or playing cards was like doing so in a public waiting room (worse probably). Lighting was bad - one key window was blocked by the stairwell. We had an ocean front room and balcony but there was a huge spotlight that shined right into our sliding glass doors - so we couldn't leave them open at night and enjoy the ocean breeze.
There were no chairs inside the pool area, only cement benches. While we were there with our kids we suffered on those benches or jumped into the pool with them.
There was no place to hang our beach and pool towels (all of our own) to dry. The staff said we weren't allowed to use the deck railing (even the back deck, not visable from the street) but there wasn't anyplace else to hang them, No hooks or lines. It meant we had to drape towels all around our rooms at night- which were already very small and tight.
Bedroom was about 30 stairs (three sections of stairs) from the bathroom. Tricky for a 6 year old to navigate in the middle of the night.
Grills didn't work well- it took 40 minutes to cook a few burgers.
Staff didn't seem to know much about the town - where a particular resturante was, the nearest pharmacy, about the various Whale Watching cruises. The office stunk like cigarette smoke and half of the staff wasn't at all friendly (some were very sweet and friendly though).
I, too, didn't like having to pay in cash. The fact that they don't take charge cards speaks to the importance they place on customer service. In fact, I arrived with exact change ($803.22)and the poor gal at the front desk was beside herself with appreciation because she was running out of change. How can you only take cash without having enough of it on hand to make change?
I also got the impression that there are regulars who have been coming over the years. The week we were there it was mostly seniors who knew to bring their own chairs for the balcony!
The plus side - the location is great and the courtyard grounds are kept very nice. Shuffleboard and a sand box kept the kids busy as we cooked dinner. The rear deck on the suite is shared, but nice. The guests are more quiet and reserved than the party crowds we saw at some nearby motels.
But, I do not think I'd go again. Too many down-sides without any bargain!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Cape May Hotels go the Periwinkle Inn is top of the line! Cape May, NJ is Americas very first seashore resort, and it is the home of the oceanfront Periwinkle Inn Hotel. Cape May is located at mile zero on the Garden State Parkway. The Periwinkle Inn is located on famous Beach Avenue, with breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and steps from the white sands of Cape May Beach! All boutique-like rooms offer modern amenities including flat screen TV's, free wi-fi, microwaves, refrigerators and ocean views with private balconies or patios. We have 7 different styles of rooms including 2 room suites. Our Five star outdoor pool is heated and includes free pool/beach towels. We offer new chic designs while giving our guests an unmatched level of service. We care and we do everything to service our guests and provide wonderful vacation memories. Our hotel attracts travelers from all over the world. The Periwinkle Inn has a distinctive waterfront location, and is right where the Cape May promenade starts. We are located in the heart of Cape May City around many restaurants, sightseeing and everything else Cape May's got to offer. With a large heated pool, shuffleboard court, sandbox, BBQ grills surrounded by flowering gardens, we provide an ideal location for your Cape May family vacation. Stay with us, you will call it your home away from home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Periwinkle Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Periwinkle Hotel Cape May
- Periwinkle Motel Cape May