“Old, dingy and cranky”

Periwinkle Inn
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 7, 2007

Just got back from the Periwinkle. We had an opportunity to book a late summer vacation as our children start school later in the month. Rooms were dirty and smelly. Housekeeping didn't arrive until late in the day and spent all of 30 minutes in our suite - and it showed. Not much vacuuming, bathrooms only wiped down. Carpet was filthy. Rooms were very small and tight - couch was TERRIBLY uncomfortable - all of the furniture was uncomfortable. So, after we put the kids to bed, sitting up watching TV or playing cards was like doing so in a public waiting room (worse probably). Lighting was bad - one key window was blocked by the stairwell. We had an ocean front room and balcony but there was a huge spotlight that shined right into our sliding glass doors - so we couldn't leave them open at night and enjoy the ocean breeze.

There were no chairs inside the pool area, only cement benches. While we were there with our kids we suffered on those benches or jumped into the pool with them.

There was no place to hang our beach and pool towels (all of our own) to dry. The staff said we weren't allowed to use the deck railing (even the back deck, not visable from the street) but there wasn't anyplace else to hang them, No hooks or lines. It meant we had to drape towels all around our rooms at night- which were already very small and tight.

Bedroom was about 30 stairs (three sections of stairs) from the bathroom. Tricky for a 6 year old to navigate in the middle of the night.

Grills didn't work well- it took 40 minutes to cook a few burgers.

Staff didn't seem to know much about the town - where a particular resturante was, the nearest pharmacy, about the various Whale Watching cruises. The office stunk like cigarette smoke and half of the staff wasn't at all friendly (some were very sweet and friendly though).

I, too, didn't like having to pay in cash. The fact that they don't take charge cards speaks to the importance they place on customer service. In fact, I arrived with exact change ($803.22)and the poor gal at the front desk was beside herself with appreciation because she was running out of change. How can you only take cash without having enough of it on hand to make change?

I also got the impression that there are regulars who have been coming over the years. The week we were there it was mostly seniors who knew to bring their own chairs for the balcony!

The plus side - the location is great and the courtyard grounds are kept very nice. Shuffleboard and a sand box kept the kids busy as we cooked dinner. The rear deck on the suite is shared, but nice. The guests are more quiet and reserved than the party crowds we saw at some nearby motels.

But, I do not think I'd go again. Too many down-sides without any bargain!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank JCzisk
PeriwinkleManager, Manager at Periwinkle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2007

Hello.

Our establishment is surprised to learn of such dislikes in regards to our rooms. We pride our place with cleanliness, and if a guest tells the front desk that they felt their room was not being serviced/ cleaned, we would have fixed any problems to the customer's satisfaction. We wish we had we been made aware of it. The housekeeping staff arrives late in the day for make ups because they do the check outs first. This affords us to give the rooms out to customers who do not have a room yet. This is a courtesy, since we feel it is only fair to the arriving customer to have the room ready so they can enjoy it.

Traveler's Checks may have been a more secure method of payment.

Everyone on our staff is a wealth of knowledge. All you have to do is ask.

The street light issue is the city of Cape May's responsibility. We are sorry about this, but this is out of our control.

The couches are brand new; we just purchased them in April, and have heard the couches were in fact very comfortable from other guests.

As far as the towel issue, we do in fact have a large clothesline in the back of the property near our bike rack for all of our guests to use. Also, there is a clothes line in every room at the tub area. Towels hung on our front balcony are not very pleasing to the eye.

The pool issue deals with a new state law where all parents have to be in the pool area with their children. Tables and benches are provided while enjoying your children in the pool.

Again, Periwinkle Inn is sorry to hear this review and we wish it was brought to our attention. We have been in business for over 35 years and the majority of our guests are returning satisfied customers.

Sincerely Yours,

Periwinkle Inn Management

Reviewed August 15, 2007

I have been coming to Cape May with my family for almost 20 years now, and as far back as I can remember, I have stayed at the Periwinkle. This year, my parents were not able to join me but my fiance and I decided to keep the tradition alive. Once again, we booked the Periwinkle only to further enhance our continued enjoyment in Cape May. The friendly and accomodating staff along with the clean and convenient rooms have remained a staple in the past 20 years I have spent down here. With such a wonderful view and unique and well-kept grounds, I can't wait to start a family of my own to share such an enjoyable time at the Periwinkle that I was able to share with my family in the past. I already booked our room for next August =)

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank xxtravelinggirl00
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Just got home and I am so infuriated that I want to share my horrible experience with anyone who has even so much of a slight thought of staying here.

The rooms were barely cleaned and not before 3PM. Empty toilet paper rolls left in the toilet paper holders with no toilet paper to replace it with. Lumpy beds; refrigerators don't work; coffee filters never replenished; dead flies in the room left for days. But, worst of all, the managers are a bunch of nasty, miseable women who make you feel as if they're doing you a favor staying there. They're downright rude, unfriendly, and totally unaccomodating. Their answer to everything is "NO". I should've been suspicious when this was the only hotel in Cape May that still had reservations available in August when every other hotel has been booked for months. I guess I found out the hard way.

Cash only at check-in. I had to carry over $1,000 in my purse the whole day until 4PM check -in...so I was nervous and uptight the whole day on the beach. I wouldn't leave my purse, so I didn't go in the ocean or allow my children to go in alone because the surf was rough... But this wasn't the worst of our check-in problems!

Our friends were stuck in traffic that night at 9PM and we were told by the manager that if she didn't check in by 10PM, they were cancelling her reservation, despite the fact that she already paid for 2 nights as her deposit months ago. I had to go to an ATM machine at 9:30PM and withdraw $700 to check her family in. They also made it very clear that they would lose their deposit of over $450, as well. The weekend started off on a sour note, to say the least.

They are by far the most expensive hotel down there, but offer absolutely no amenities.....except a pool. No pool towels, no outside restrooms or changing rooms, no laundry room, barbeque doesn't work properly, no beach tags, no breakfast included...which are all amenities you will find at every other hotel in Cape May. We've been coming here for years and have stayed in several terrific hotels that offer all the previous amenities that the Periwinkle doesn't offer. My fault was I waited too long to make a reservation, so I was "stuck" at the Periwinkle.

The worst thing that happened was the day we checked out. We decided to spend the rest of the day at the beach and the pool before getting on the road. We stayed at the beach most of the day and returned to the pool just for a quick dip. When I went in the office to ask if there was a changing room, they told me "No", and that me and my 3 children had to "leave the premise" because we were "no longer guests". I was shocked and mentioned that I just spent $1,700 to stay there, and how I've been traveling for years and every hotel I've ever stayed in always allowed you to stay after check-out and even had a special changing room that was available. She reminded me that this was their policy, and that she wasn't interested in what other hotels had to offer.

As I was changing my small child's bathsuit (concealed behind a towel, of course), she followed me out to remind me that I had to leave immediately because we checked-out. When the other guests overheard her, they were shocked, and I replied to one woman that I was very upset. At this time, another (female) manager came out and began to wave her finger and motion for me to come to her, at which time she berated me for taking badly about the hotel to other guests, which I never did.

The bottom line....if I could forewarn anyone, please take my advice and don't waste your money...especially if you have a family. While I was there, I booked another hotel for the same time next year ($500 cheaper and includes daily breakfast). When I told them what had gone on at the Periwinkle, of course, they couldn't speak badly , but she did say that she wasn't a bit surprised, since they're known for their poor management style. I intend to file a more formal complaint with the Chamber of Commerce, as well. I'll never stay here again..

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
24  Thank roro9161
Reviewed August 7, 2007

We have just returned from a week long stay at the Periwinkle Inn and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The Periwinkle Inn is a beautiful and affordable choice for anyone looking to vacation in Cape May. Their promise of excellent service, location and lodging was met, all within this quiant ocean-front establishment. My children made great use of their big pool, while my wife and I enjoyed the relaxing and homey atmosphere. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, while providing a nice environment for families on vacation.

Having moved to South Florida after residing in Southern New Jersey for 30 years, I was looking forward to returning to the Northeast. Our stay at the Periwinkle Inn allowed me to re-experience all of the fond memories I had of Cape May.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank schmeizer
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We liked the Periwinkle Inn. We rented one of the rooms that had a stove/microwave/sink and came with a full accompaniment of dishware.

The decor definitely screamed 70's or 80's. We had our own patio, were on the first floor, and overlooked the pool. We really liked how clean the place was - full housekeeping daily including changing of sheets and so forth.

Didn't like that you couldn't have your chairs next to the pool however our kids are old enough where we just sat outside our room and watched from there.

Loved the beach access! It's also located close enough to the action where you can walk to the arcade but it's far enough away where it's quiet at night.

I'd stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank New_Englander225
Reviewed July 31, 2007

From the moment we checked in we felt we'd been HAD. Over $250/night for a dingy room with dirty linens and ZERO amentities. We asked to depart early, even offering to lose our original deposit of 2 nights, but the Periwinkle manager would not refund our money. Like another reviewer said, I felt as though my complaints were met with disdain - I was out of luck for being sold a bill of goods on the [--]website. I won't return. At least the kids had fun. Very disappointing for our family vacation.

Stayed: August 2007
7  Thank mendy a
Reviewed July 10, 2007

The worst hotel ever old outed dump no good one pool with no chairs around the pool and no bathroom to use while you are waiting for your room to be ready . Did not stay and they refused to refund my money. Dirty not nice.

4  Thank berncentra