“Periwinkle Inn was a good choice”
Review of Periwinkle Inn

Periwinkle Inn
Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
East Windsor, New Jersey
“Periwinkle Inn was a good choice”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Periwinkle Inn is perfectly situated in Cape May.
The rooms are upgraded and very nice. Two queen beds in the room provided 8 built in drawers under the bed for great storage. The room and bathroom were kept very clean. The cleaning staff very thorough and nice. (worked around us). Nice size balcony.
The pools both adult and kiddie were kept very clean and a good size. The play area for children and shuffle board provided us much fun. Real nice fish pond in front was a beautiful touch.
Overall I would definitely recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front for a clear view of the beach
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Nashville, TN
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband, 17 year old daughter and I made a last minute decision to head to Cape May (my ALL TIME FAVORITE beach town) for a one day/night spur of the moment adventure. We usually rent a house in Cape May for a whole week, but this year spent our vacation time inland boating/waterskiing with my brother and his family.) Because it was last minute AND high season availability was understandably slim and our hotel choices limited. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I felt clear on the expectations for Periwinkle Inn---they definitely WOULD charge for our extra guest (which they did), and I would not to bother "trying" to upgrade, negiotiate better pricing, room upgrade, etc. We arrived before the appointed check-in time of 3 pm, and the front desk seemed a little frazled, but they were true to their word and called me as soon as our room was ready-- around 1 pm. I was happy to be able get us settled in early (while my husband & daughter enjoyed some beach time.) All in all we LOVED EVERY MINUTE of the afternoon, evening, night, and morning we spent at this PERFECTLY LOCATED, clean, quiet, comfortable Periwinkle Inn. We were very pleased with our overnight here, and would definitely consider it for a future "quick trip" to the every enchanging Cape May.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor right by the elevator, with a view of the pool and ocean. It was just...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here in May 2014. The location was great right across the street from the ocean. We had a studio suite which included a kitchenette and a living room. Only one complaint about the service is when they prepped our room they did not turn on the refrigerator. I stocked the fridge with cold beer and when I went to get one the beer was warm because I noticed the fridge was off. The rooms are noting fancy, but they were clean and well appointed. I guess I am spoiled from usually staying at 5 star hotels and resorts. As far as value goes I think it is a little overpriced for what you get, but then again isn't everything at the Jersey shore. Overall a decent place to stay in Cape May.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Beautiful pool. Great location with a trolley stop. Rude staff who charge extra to reserve two rooms near each other or have an extra person in a room that has two beds! Won't accept credit cards or personal check if you are out of state. Had to bring $1000 in cash which should've been a tip-off.

Reserved a room for 3 people and only were given towels for two.

Twin bed was made up with no fitted sheet... Instead a queen flat sheet that was tucked in so that a quarter of the mattress was exposed! Who wants to sleep on that?

Thanks to being featured on Hotel Impossible, it definitely looks nicer than when we checked it out a couple years ago and opted for another location, but the mattresses are already saggy and the fixtures are all super cheap. Shower faucet separating from wall and nowhere to hang towels in bathroom. Certainly wouldn't want to stay here in two years. It will be totally run down again.

• Stayed July 2014
11 Thank Rachelewin
maryland
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed at the Periwinkle Inn over July 4th for 5 nights (only place I could find at the last minute!) Very clean, well maintained property, nice pool & pool area. The rooms decorated in minimal Ikea style of modern- little amentities in the room- (no bureau- drawers under the bed frame!) Bathroom, though small clean, room clean & kept cleaned every day, with ample fresh towels & a big plus- beach/pool towels everyday! My only fault was- I think they could provide beach passes since you are paying a lot for the room- but beach access directly across the road! That is a big plus, too! Just realize when you go to Cape May using the beach does cost per person and you can find very little free parking in town- have plenty of quarters for the parking meters!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Momplus2
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had a great time. Within walking distance yo promenade and shops. Trolley also stops in front. Very kid friendly, nice grassy area near the pool for kids to play. Room was very nice, and the grounds crew were very tolerant of the kids balls going in the pool.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank daniemo
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I think there are many pros and cons to this property. We had an Ocean Front room and yes you had to pay for the view -- but they told us up front. Yes we had to pay cash or else we would be assessed a 3% fee which I think is ridiculous, but we did know up front. We also had more than two in our room, so that was also assessed an extra fee per person, which I also though was stupid for a property where there was nothing "extra" being consumed - no free breakfast or anything like that, so who cares if 4 people are in a room with two queen beds? It sleeps that many, right? They don't discount you if you only have one person... I digress. Yes we knew in advance so that is our fault for paying it.
Upon our arrival at 3 PM, I checked in at the front desk. Nice check in area, but for a non-smoking place, it smelled like an ash tray and was not very inviting in that way. I gave my name to check in and waited as the lady did what she needed to do to get us in.
While I was waiting, I couldn't help but notice a very pregnant woman who was not looking happy in the lobby. She was speaking with another employee and asking if her room was ready yet. The woman told her it wasn't. The pregnant woman then stated that they had been in town since noon and that she was very hot and couldn't be in the sun any longer and just wanted to get into her room. The employee informed her that check in was between 3 and 8. Well, it was after 3. If they knew she was there at noon and that there was a chance not all of the rooms would be clean by 3, why wouldn't they have gone and done that room earlier so that the person who is in town and ready to check in at 3 would be able to get in her room. Between 3 and 8 is an unacceptable response when you are paying for the room and the website says 3 is check in. I understand not being able to check in at noon - that is a crap shoot when you arrive early, but if check in is at three then you should be ready to go.
Our room was ready, however, so we were given our keys and off we went. Room 314 was a nice room - it was clean, and it had a great view of the ocean and the pool. The lawns on property are very well maintained and true to their website in terms of their appearance.
The room had a small fridge and microwave in it which was nice. My son brought leftovers back to the room and figured he would heat them up later. But we had a problem, there was no paper place, plastic utensils or anything to assist with this. I would have brought my own, but I figured if the room would have the set up like it did with all of that, that there would be something to use. So be aware, you might need your own things.
The beach was right across the street which was convenient.
The pool was cold, so obviously not heated, but the kids had fun in it non the less.
Lots of off street parking for the people at the hotel.
I do think that it is a bit pricey for what you got. I have stayed in many bed and breakfasts in Cape May and payed less or the same at at least there you have breakfast included.
But since we were not in the room much, we enjoyed everything the town of Cape May had to offer. It wasn't a bad place to stay, just wouldn't be my first choice.

Room Tip: Room 314 was a good "Ocean Front" view. However the two buildings out front which looked...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family