“Welcome Addition to Cape May”
Review of 5 De Mayo

5 De Mayo
Ranked #91 of 138 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New Mexican place that opened in a tough spot on Rt 9 Delicious Mexican food prepared by Mexicans and served by a very helpful and knowledgeable staff of Mexicans. Wide range of items from traditional to seafood. Great Guacamole and delicious Chile Relleno. Fajitas, Burritos, Enchiladas, Chimichangas, Sope, Guarache,Flauta and Taco. All served with rice and beans. Deserts includeTres Leches and deep fried ice cream.
Marco Island, Florida
“Welcome Addition to Cape May”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

After reading some negative reviews, we went back to see if something had changed.It had not. We again enjoyed very good and authentic Mexican food. The Mole Sauce was delicious and the Mexicana Faita was very unusual and definitely worth a try. The service was fine and the fact that it is a BYOB is a plus along with reasonable costs. It is not fine dining, but it is very good for what it is. ,

• Visited July 2012

North Wildwood, New Jersey
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I started craving mexican while at work the other night. Now, I only get an hour break so I decided to try the closest place possible for authentic mexican cuisine.I drove 5minutes to 5 De Mayo, placed my order for 3 tacos and a side of guacamole and did not leave that drive-way until an hour and a half later. It was a slow night for me at work so I didn't mind the wait. Plus, I sat outside on the deck and it was a beautiful night catching up with friends on facebook. My mouth was salivating by the time I flipped open the styrofoam box but quickly turned my stomach at the sight. My tacos were thrown together liked they slopped everything out of the trash, the meat was ice cold and looked like pan-crumbles and the guacomole had no taste what-so-ever. The portion size was excellent. I was even begging my fellow co-workers to finish the last two tacos. I DO NOT ever waste food but this was just a ridiculous experience. Lesson learned. I hear Gecko's is the best for southwestern in Cape May. I'll try them out next time I bit by the taco bug.

• Visited August 2012
Spencertown, New York
“Excellent - So glad we went there.”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I had read some mixed reviews online about 5 de Mayo but my son and I were on a quest to find really good fish tacos while visiting the Jersey Shore and one review I read - by a foodie - described how fresh tasting everything was. So we dismissed the bad reviews and listened to the one that referred to it as a gem and how fresh the food is.

This past week we ate at six restaurants in Cape May and Wildwood, including other "Mexican" restaurants and a few seafood restaurants and hands down 5 de Mayo hit the fish tacos out of the park (we were really disappointed with Bandanas and the Boathouse's versions of fish tacos). And the best part was they weren't even on the menu at 5 de Mayo but when I asked our waitress if we could order them, she said yes.

We were served perfectly steamed corn tortillas that were generously filled with a grilled whitefish (I'm guessing tilapia) and topped with onions and tomatoes. I can't state enough how fresh everything tasted, including the salsa verde and the refried beans. The pico de gallo was perfectly seasoned, as was all the food. If they can make something that delicious that's not even on their menu, I imagine their other entrees must be as good or even better. We'll definitely eat there on our next visit.

• Visited August 2012
“Worst Mexican food ever.. Save your money”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I just moved to Cape May so I have been trying out all the different places to eat.
My experience here was awful. The service was lacking. It took our waitress over 15 minutes to acknowledge us after we were seated.

It took another 15 minute just to get our drinks.

I ordered the chicken burrito.It was the worst burrito I ever had.The burrito was only had chicken in it that was very dry with no flavor. I thought burrito's had beans and rice.

Cape May, New Jersey
“The worst ever!”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Ate their last season after they opened. Just the worst attempt at a restaurant ever. Inside was just a bunch of cheap, none matching furnishings. Waitress knew nothing. The most disappointing Mexican food I've ever had. I'm from Southern Calif. and this place wouldn't last a season. They thought the food was very authentic but it was just terrible.

Visited September 2011